Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    I can't imagine there would be less of an outcry if the reward was greater. The size of the reward is intentional, so that it's just alluring, but not "mandatory". And other ways to increase your backpack size will likely come soon, this is merely a preview/test/proof they can do that now (as opposed to before, when legacy code prevented this)
    More than likely testing things, yep.
    They (Blizzard) do like to test things which i can understand.

As i mentioned in another thread, this bag space 'idea' i am pretty sure came from Diablo 3 which does increased space through a Seasons reward.

Nothing wrong with this as i see it.

Encouraging (or as some see it, a conspiracy of sinister proportions)) people to secure their accounts to reduce overheads (GM's retrieving stolen acccounts for one) is something to look at.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    Look at both of you, all high-and-mighty with your "they don't deserve this" or "I'm better than kids, haha" attitudes. When it comes to accounts, all players are to be treated equally. This isn't mythic raiding or 2400+ pvp, this is simple account maintenance. SMS protect is nice, but to require it for an ingame reward is stupid, especially since a phone number costs well over $15 a month. A simple one-time purchase of an authenticator was fine for corehound, it should be fine for the 4 slots.
    95% of the US owns a cellhpone as late as 2016. If you can't afford a phone, let alone a disposable SIM, then you have bigger problems than 4 inventory slots in your bag pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    This is where I said previously that instead of using dirty marketing strategies like this, they should just teach ppl how can they protect their data (not just WoW data) outside the Internet. Starting with illegal websites that ask for your account data and you happily give it to them. 1 more CS problem to worry about.

Edit
    Basic security tips for beginners:
    • don't use the same password everywhere
    • don't give your account data for a 3rd party/other person
    • change your password regularly
    • don't use "easy" password
    Or, or, or... just use an authenticator and SMS protect and never get hacked... ez as that. Stop being a crazy tin foiled hat loon and just get a damn authenticator (Which is free with any smartphone, even old shitty ones you can buy for like a couple bucks used).
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    I don't remember the last time i had a full bag without those 4 slots... i don't see a point in giving them my phone number in order to get more bag-space...

Why would you require a phone sub? I was under the impression one could get a free sim with a phone number in basically every developed country.

That's atleast how i got mine while staying in Germany; got a free prepaid sim i could load up or not.
    It came with free internet regardless of balance (100mb fast internet, the rest in slow internet, but it was free)
    Then don't. It is pretty simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    @Sonol:

so it's a conspiracy (theory)?
    It's about how ppl were tricked by a Blizz marketing method.

It's about how unnecessary is the extra protection if you use common sense to provide safety of your own account data. (But some IT guys always come here and write a wall of text about security and ahow important it is, but an average Joe won't comprehend half of it, not even needs it.)

It's about a reward for the first time that actually affects gameplay, not like cosmetic pets, mounts, transmog etc.

It's about how unnecessary is the extra protection if you use common sense to provide safety of your own account data. (But some IT guys always come here and write a wall of text about security and ahow important it is, but an average Joe won't comprehend half of it, not even needs it.)

It's about a reward for the first time that actually affects gameplay, not like cosmetic pets, mounts, transmog etc.
    Yeah man, those 4 slots are super gamebreaking. Get over yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lucky Blizzard is here to help with that then
    Educate the masses and Blizzard gets your phone number for telemarketing purposes. It's a win=win for both parties!
    Expect those dinner time phone calls from a Blue soon for discounted upgrades to your account or game specials.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

Don't own a cell phone, don't care about a measly four slots to be bothered either way.
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Oh, please. You’ve never ordered anything on online? Amazon, etc? You give out just as much personal info. Also, people can look up all your previous addresses and phone numbers by just knowing your name and general age/location. There’s numerous websites for it. There was one out last year that you had to opt out of, else it showed it to anyone looking you up.
    Yes, I have ordered, and I always pay with cash for the delivery guy, and only from companies that I can actually approach by car, because they have a store nearby, so I can show them the product personally if there was any issue.

Again, Amazon and other stores on-line need some of your data, because they deliver the product to your location. These are all companies that provide a service of their own. However Blizz is a gaming company, I need their game product, so I pay them for it. I don't need to call them, I don't need them to call me. Yet they ask for my number nonetheless in the name of better security.

Apparently my phone number isn't valid for SMS Protect. No extra bag space for me, I guess.

But I agree, that Blizzard is very greedy company, that just can't give anything for free, without forcing you to jump through some hoops, even if it such minor thing, as +4 bag slots or some useless pet. That's, how busyness works. Don't give anything for free - sell it.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

10+ Year Old Account
    Know what? These services are not provided by a gaming company. These services have their own companies that provide each of them.
    These services are known to sell of information to any other information brokering service. Doesn't matter if it is a gaming company or not.

So the question is still the same: Why a gaming company needs my phone number/a piece of their app on my phone to make their accounts safer and make their work easier? Yet ppl swallow it in the first place.
    This is where you misunderstand a lot. The account is yours, you rent access, your money. YOUR ACCOUNT SAFETY. If you get compromised, then you are a threat to THEIR GAME and OTHER'S ACCOUNTS.

Also the other frightening thing I was talking about, the decieving of their own customers in this matter. Take privacy and safety away: They announced the bag slots tied to an authenticator only in the first place. Now you need sms protect too in the second round.
    They aren't taking your privacy, or safety away. Not more than tons of other sites. And I believe the late mention of SMS Protect was actually a mistake of not mentioning it with the first announcement. Why reward something you already had a reward for, hence Authenticator + SMS Protect.

In the first round many downloaded and installed the app on their phone, because it's so easy to do, and thought they are done, waiting for the bags.
    In the actual first round, many already had the authenticator due to the pet.

Now they slap you all in the face, because you also need sms protect service for it.
    Not really a slap, it is a free feature and not difficult to use, or get. Another free security feature.

Many complain about sms protect service is not working for them. Maybe it's because of their phone service provider. Why should a gaming company involve one more type of communication service in order to provide safety for their users?
    Many also have been using SMS protect without problems. Just like many have complained about forgetting their password, you don't start thinking that is a good idea to boil down either. Why should a gaming company involve more security? Could it be, accounts? Could it be because of something call customer data security? Could it be for better service? To secure their game for their customers? It is a damn basic thing to want to be able to offer better service and security for your customers.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    Do you use any form social media like Facebook, Twitter or YouTube? If you do, you have absolutely zero right to complain about privacy. Every single one of those companies exist for the sole purpose of cultivating and selling your private information.
    If you are stupid enough to give real information about yourself on these sites, then you deserve your data sold. Yes, Google and FB are both ask for phone number (it's not mandatory, yet), because ppl can fake anything on these sites, except their phone number. Some even share their bank account data on social media.

10+ Year Old Account
    How dare you entice me with free gifts at the cost of extra account security!!!!

Really, though, why the tantrums?
    Made me chuckle a little bit. But yeah, it is due to an overload of tinfoil.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess what? I can check the guy any time at his workplace. If something goes wrong, it's on the guy, I can sue the guy, he is/was responsible for my data personally.

You can't do the same thing with a korean hacker...
    But Blizzard isn't a Korean Hacker. As well, the guy giving you service, isn't responsible for your data security, the company is. Just like Blizzard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Suzs View Post
    I can’t even give them my number cause the stupid hacker made blizzard lock “my” country on the Netherlands and apparently they can’t change it without locking my account forever :>>>>
    Can be fixed easily, mate. A passport is all you need.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SerialPandaSnuggler View Post
    Yeah man, those 4 slots are super gamebreaking. Get over yourself.
    Yeah, you also needed them, otherwise you wouldn't even care my opinion about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, please. You’ve never ordered anything on online? Amazon, etc? You give out just as much personal info. Also, people can look up all your previous addresses and phone numbers by just knowing your name and general age/location. There’s numerous websites for it. There was one out last year that you had to opt out of, else it showed it to anyone looking you up.
    Tried explaining this, and the OP seem to not notice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    Obviously for those who hoard crap. It will come in......useful.

An idea gleamed from Diablo 3 (Seasons reward) it seems
    Oh, I am loving the four extra slots, minimal but still means for more stacks of something.. Haha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    But Blizzard isn't a Korean Hacker. As well, the guy giving you service, isn't responsible for your data security, the company is. Just like Blizzard.
    No one said that Blizz is a korean hacker, and it was only an example... but whatever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit
    Basic security tips for beginners:
    • don't use the same password everywhere
    • don't give your account data for a 3rd party/other person
    • change your password regularly
    • don't use "easy" password
    Brilliant tip, but can still be compromised.

Deleted
    The solution is very simple OP, stop playing or stop moaning.

10+ Year Old Account

It is damn common for a company to want to secure their investments, clients and product. They offer more features to secure it, you don't have to have them but it'll be easier to protect your account.

Oh god, this reward doesn't affect gameplay. Gives your four slots more of something random that you'll most likely vendor. Transmogs, pets, mounts, those affect the gameplay more than that, and even they are a minimal thing.