Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Meh. If I was still playing, I wouldn't even bother for only 4 slots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    Again, Amazon and other stores on-line need some of your data, because they deliver the product to your location. These are all companies that provide a service of their own. However Blizz is a gaming company, I need their game product, so I pay them for it. I don't need to call them, I don't need them to call me. Yet they ask for my number nonetheless in the name of better security.
    Blizzard delivers a product to you too, they don't call you, but you might need to call them. You need to secure your product and in the end, the weakest security for Blizzard, is their players, it seems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    But I agree, that Blizzard is very greedy company, that just can't give anything for free, without forcing you to jump through some hoops, even if it such minor thing, as +4 bag slots or some useless pet. That's, how busyness works. Don't give anything for free - sell it.
    Of course, that is business, how all does it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    No one said that Blizz is a korean hacker, and it was only an example... but whatever.
    Your analogies thus far however certainly are.....rather poor and allude to some sort of conspiracy (which Hackers are known for incidentally as well, never mind Korean ones) and willfully ignoring that everyone is different and that not everyone takes account security as seriously as you do.

Don't worry though.

Blizzard has you covered.
    The only draw-back is that instead of the future planned increased 10 slot bag space, you will also have to be available during dinner time for telemarketing calls from Blizzard Representatives.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you also needed them, otherwise you wouldn't even care my opinion about it.
    Ah, that is subjective opinion. You seem to be the one outraged about people having to do something you don't like, and get a reward for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    The solution is very simple OP, stop playing or stop moaning.
    Actually more simple, just don't do it, don't receive the bag spaces, done.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Meh. If I was still playing, I wouldn't even bother for only 4 slots.
    And it wouldn't be a loss for you.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    These services are known to sell of information to any other information brokering service. Doesn't matter if it is a gaming company or not.
    I matters, because I don't pay them for a flight ticket or a frying pan.
    This is where you misunderstand a lot. The account is yours, you rent access, your money. YOUR ACCOUNT SAFETY. If you get compromised, then you are a threat to THEIR GAME and OTHER'S ACCOUNTS.
    The account is not yours, it's made on Blizz servers using Blizz permission (for money) to even access to the servers. You are right about renting the access.
    I believe the late mention of SMS Protect was actually a mistake of not mentioning it with the first announcement. Why reward something you already had a reward for, hence Authenticator + SMS Protect.
    And I believe it was a business strategy that they were completely aware of. Those who already had the physical authenticator and wanted to keep it were also decieved, because of the false/incomplete information they thought that they won't do anything, they are going to get free bag slots for being loyal and safe. This didn't happen, this was a scam, yet you still defend them and your argument. This kind of ppl are called gullible. But you are worse, you even wish for it and can't comprehend the point.
    In the actual first round, many already had the authenticator due to the pet.
    So you admit it yourself that all the time ppl don't give a f-ck about their safety in the first place, they can be bought for cheap rewards. Also I don't think you needed an app installed on your phone and give more of personal data for a cosmetic pet.
    Not really a slap, it is a free feature and not difficult to use, or get. Another free security feature.
    It's not free... it's easy. It requires an app installed and giving them your phone number and order this extra service in order to get the reward.
    Many also have been using SMS protect without problems. Just like many have complained about forgetting their password, you don't start thinking that is a good idea to boil down either. Why should a gaming company involve more security? Could it be, accounts? Could it be because of something call customer data security? Could it be for better service? To secure their game for their customers? It is a damn basic thing to want to be able to offer better service and security for your customers.
    So f-ck off for ppl who can't use the sms protect service because of some reason they can't do anything about. These ppl also thougth that installing the app will easily give them the bag slots, then slap to the face: no sms protection, no bag slots.

If it was one or the other I would do it. Honestly though, 4 extra slots isnt worth the trouble. When you start a new char you can get a 16 slot bag (on Ravencrest EU) for 20g

If you are stupid enough to give real information about yourself on these sites, then you deserve your data sold. Yes, Google and FB are both ask for phone number (it's not mandatory, yet), because ppl can fake anything on these sites, except their phone number. Some even share their bank account data on social media.
    It's obvious you have a reading and comprehension problem to go along with being clueless about the Internet. I never once talked about giving your phone number to Facebook or Google. But simply using their services, no matter what fake information your claim to provide, will expose far more personal information about you than your phone number.

As I already established, your phone number is not private. It has been bought and sold a thousand times. Your cell carrier alone has likely sold it a thousand times. Every company that you do business with that requires you provide a phone number, like your credit card company or bank have sold your phone number. Lists of the contact information of every person on Earth with a phone number has been bought and sold countless times.

But your phone number isn't the critical piece of information that companies are profiting off of. Facebook, Twitter, Google, Microsoft, you're not their customer, you're their product. Giving them a fake email address doesn't stop them from selling ads specifically tailored to what you view, say and do on their platforms. Companies can and do build very detailed psychological profiles from what you say, like, read, share on social media. They can closely determine your age, know EXACTLY where you live without you ever providing an address, they know what you buy, what you eat, your political opinons, your sexual preference, relationship status, you hobbies. They know just about everything there is to know about you, and they don't need your phone number to learn any of it.

So, again, your phone number being stored on a secure Blizzard server for SMS protect exposes you to a tiny fraction of risk that all your other behavior exposes you to. Your either clueless or a liar, plain and simple.z

Edit:
    It's obvious you think the authenticator and SMS protect are about Blizzard trying to make money off your phone number, or information on your phone that they have no possible way of accessing just because you install the app. But you are 10000000000000000% wrong in your assertion. I honestly believe your trolling at this point because you just want to find an excuse to raise a stink.

Yes them pushing those services is about money, but not in the sense you think. Account recovery is a major expense for Blizzard. Dealing with people whose accounts get hacked requires an enormous amount of time, and therefore money. By having both an authenticator and SMS protect cuts the risk of your account being compromised to almost zero. Cutting down on account recovery is their ONLY motivation.
    Last edited by Slicer299; 2018-01-17 at 10:21 AM.
    Cooler Master H500P Mesh | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 3TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz

Deleted
    Ah, that is subjective opinion. You seem to be the one outraged about people having to do something you don't like, and get a reward for it.
    I'm outraged and frightened about how easily ppl can be deceived. How blind they are.

If Blizz would really care about their customers' safety, then they would give the extra layers of security for free. Then after a while they would reward you for being clever, loyal and safe. But no, they tie the thing to an appealing reward and they also ask for some more of your personal data that they don't have yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    they would give the extra layers of security for free
    One option is indeed free my good Sir.
    You chose if you want to pay or not.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

Deleted
    Pretty smart from a marketing perspective. Now they got your mobile phone number too.

Did anyone read the terms attached to this?

Deleted
    Brilliant tip, but can still be compromised.
    Why should you make their work easy? Give them your informations voluntarily then. Search for these sites and give them your account informations willingly or give it for the first guy who advertises boosting on trade chat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Pretty smart from a marketing perspective. Now they got your mobile phone number too.

Thank you.

But asking for a person's phone number puts extra responsibility on Blizz. There must be a catch.
    Seconded. They are going overboard, the authenticator should be enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    That's about all you will get:

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/26824

And here I am, fully willing to attach SMS protection to my account, EXCEPT IT WON'T FUCKING LET ME. Says "This phone number can’t be used for SMS Protect. Please choose another number."

Dobby is sad elf :/

15+ Year Old Account
    Please, do read the source.

Seems this applied to myself too, misread 'along' as another word for 'or'. English ain't my first language, so I apologies on this.

But still, where's the problem? Both are free and everyone can have it. And even so, it is 4 slots, no problem in missing out of them. It is a reward after all.
    Actually everyone CAN'T have it. I have Republic Wireless and for some reason it is not compatible with Blizzard's SMS scheme (it doesn't recognize my phone number as a phone number), which is a buggar for me.

But really, I am not going to cry over FOUR bag slots. I mean wtf, so many hoops to jump over for a measly FOUR slots. Fourteen slots I might cry over, but not four.

Cheers!
    HOME OF THE FREE, BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Addon Author: My Projects

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicer299 View Post
    But your phone number isn't the critical piece of information that companies are profiting off of. Facebook, Twitter, Google, Microsoft, you're not their customer, you're their product. Giving them a fake email address doesn't stop them from selling ads specifically tailored to what you view, say and do on their platforms. Companies can and do build very detailed psychological profiles from what you say, like, read, share on social media. They can closely determine your age, know EXACTLY where you live without you ever providing an address, they know what you buy, what you eat, your political opinons, your sexual preference, relationship status, you hobbies. They know just about everything there is to know about you, and they don't need your phone number to learn any of it.
    Yeah, they can draw the picture of a guy, shoot him with their ads. Then what? They get money from me if I actually buy their products. Their ads reach me only if I let them (sounds trival, but adblock makes miracles).

Having a picture of a guy doesn't make them know my phone number, social insurance data, bank account data etc., because I don't share them. These are sensitive informations that ppl should not share/tell at any public place/surface. Now they ask for one of my exact sensitive data in order to get 4 bag slots in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    95% of the US owns a cellhpone as late as 2016. If you can't afford a phone, let alone a disposable SIM, then you have bigger problems than 4 inventory slots in your bag pack.
    Someone already tried that “this is the future, let me mention that like it means something” reply and I ignored it once. Thank you for trying though.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Blizz would really care about their customers' safety, then they would give the extra layers of security for free.
    They do give it to you for free. You don't have to pay a cent for it.

Then after a while they would reward you for being clever, loyal and safe.
    The "reward" is an incentive for people who simply never bothered to go through the minor, once off inconvenience of activating the account measures. The way you put it it's as if they're diabolically forcing people to make this huge sacrifice or suffer a harsh penalty. Get a grip.

But no, they tie the thing to an appealing reward and they also ask for some more of your personal data that they don't have yet.
    Oh please! This isn't about them trying to sneakily get your personal information. SMS authentication has been a thing for a number of processes for many years, and in order to make use of it....they need your cellphone number.

Honestly, if it's that big a deal for you to let them have your cell number then please, by all means, feel free to not opt in for the entirely optional and non-game-breaking extra bag slots. But don't expect the rest of us to share your outlook or call us blind, stupid, easily deceived etc unless you want everyone else to call you delusional and paranoid.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    Actually everyone CAN'T have it. I have Republic Wireless and for some reason it is not compatible with Blizzard's SMS scheme (it doesn't recognize my phone number as a phone number), which is a buggar for me.
    Sounds plausible. Have you sent a support ticket this? It's most likely that the number scheme used by your provider doesn't match what the Blizzard software expects. I am sure it is an issue easily rectified once they're made aware of it. It's also possible that you entered your number "wrong", specifically how your area/international codes are entered. Eg to dial an international number, you'd need to start with something like +xxyy where xx is your country code and yy is your area code.

Deleted
    As much as I would like to get some extra bag slots, I will not be using this SMS crap. It should be either of the authenticators or SMS protect, not a combination of both.

Edit: Mobile security is crap compared to external devices generating random numbers. Just look to the online banking sector. I have read about quite a number of cases, where the mTAN security was compromised by hackers and people lost substantial amounts of money. Cases with a specific TAN generator are much more rare.

And it's more likely that you get your phone lost or even stolen, than your authenticator. Does not help with the mobile one, but I have the gadget. Getting SMS protect offers no additional benefit for me.
    Last edited by mmoceb1073a651; 2018-01-17 at 11:22 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonEntity View Post
    Seconded. They are going overboard, the authenticator should be enough.
    Actually they serve 2 different purposes and work synergistically to provide even better security. The authenticator works pretty well, but there will still be fraud that can get past it. Adding SMS protect will help to catch some of that.

For example, one of the things the SMS alert will do is let you know if someone is trying to brute force your account. Or maybe they've tried to hijack your account to attach it to an authenticator on their smartphone by pretending to be you and that you lost your phone with your authenticator.

Of course no system can ever be 100% foolproof, but for Blizzard it's a simple choice: If the security feature can have a sufficient impact on account compromises to justify the cost of implementing and maintaining the security feature then it's something they're going to push. It's not a conspiracy, it's simple business sense.