Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    Actually everyone CAN'T have it. I have Republic Wireless and for some reason it is not compatible with Blizzard's SMS scheme (it doesn't recognize my phone number as a phone number), which is a buggar for me.

But really, I am not going to cry over FOUR bag slots. I mean wtf, so many hoops to jump over for a measly FOUR slots. Fourteen slots I might cry over, but not four.

Cheers!
    I think that is why it is four. It isn't gamebreaking nor is it a loss. Just like the Core Hound, the reward for outside activity isn't that much, nor shouldn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laz View Post
    Actually everyone CAN'T have it. I have Republic Wireless and for some reason it is not compatible with Blizzard's SMS scheme (it doesn't recognize my phone number as a phone number), which is a buggar for me.

But really, I am not going to cry over FOUR bag slots. I mean wtf, so many hoops to jump over for a measly FOUR slots. Fourteen slots I might cry over, but not four.

Cheers!
    Oh, even less of a whine for this thread. YOU DON'T NEED SMS PROTECT! Or at least, I didn't.

HAH! This thread is just more a scream of doom and gloom then.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    As much as I would like to get some extra bag slots, I will not be using this SMS crap. It should be either of the authenticators or SMS protect, not a combination of both.

Edit: Mobile security is crap compared to external devices generating random numbers. Just look to the online banking sector. I have read about quite a number of cases, where the mTAN security was compromised by hackers and people lost substantial amounts of money. Cases with a specific TAN generator are much more rare.

And it's more likely that you get your phone lost or even stolen, than your authenticator. Does not help with the mobile one, but I have the gadget. Getting SMS protect offers no additional benefit for me.
    Except none of this is a reason to not get SMS protect. The way I see it, even if it only reduces my chance of getting hacked by a negligible amount, I see no harm in activating it. The only time I have ever even seen an SMS from it was when I wanted to switch my authenticator to the mobile app (because the battery in mine died and it's a lot more hassle to get a new one given where I live). The only time that I can envisage the SMS protection even becoming a bother is if weird shit starts happening on my account, in which case I actually want to be bothered by it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonol View Post
    Why should you make their work easy? Give them your informations voluntarily then. Search for these sites and give them your account informations willingly or give it for the first guy who advertises boosting on trade chat.
    The other side of the account, is your responsibility. Why should I search for sites to give my information when my goal isn't to scream bloody murder and throw it everywhere. They've had my phone number for over 10 years, and there's no been a damn problem with it.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Oh, even less of a whine for this thread. YOU DON'T NEED SMS PROTECT! Or at least, I didn't.
    While I won't claim that you're wrong based on your experience, the blue posts on the topic have pretty much outright said you do. So either they've mispoken, or they haven't implemented it properly and you may, in the future, be required to activate it if you want to keep those 4 extra slots. Not that it should be a big deal either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm outraged and frightened about how easily ppl can be deceived. How blind they are.

If Blizz would really care about their customers' safety, then they would give the extra layers of security for free. Then after a while they would reward you for being clever, loyal and safe. But no, they tie the thing to an appealing reward and they also ask for some more of your personal data that they don't have yet.
    THEY ARE GIVING YOU EXTRA LAYERS OF SECURITY FOR FREE - except for the Hardware authenticator.

You are being rewarded for upright holding YOUR part of the ToS, keeping your account secure.

And then they, oh my god, reward your for keeping your account secure. What an atrocity.

- - - Updated - - -

I matters, because I don't pay them for a flight ticket or a frying pan.
    Of course you don't, you pay others, who would've sold your information too, if it wasn't for the fact that you revealed that you are so paranoid that you only use services that has an in-state domicile for you to claim your product.

The account is not yours, it's made on Blizz servers using Blizz permission (for money) to even access to the servers. You are right about renting the access.
    It is yours, you rent the use and access for it. Your job is to keep your side safe, or they'll lock it down.

And I believe it was a business strategy that they were completely aware of. Those who already had the physical authenticator and wanted to keep it were also decieved, because of the false/incomplete information they thought that they won't do anything, they are going to get free bag slots for being loyal and safe. This didn't happen, this was a scam, yet you still defend them and your argument. This kind of ppl are called gullible. But you are worse, you even wish for it and can't comprehend the point.
    And I believe this was actually proven wrong by some. Just like I can see on my account now, I have 4 slots, I don't have SMS protect. So, the problem is even less of a deal it seems. Maybe it was a wrong statement before the patch was released?

So you admit it yourself that all the time ppl don't give a f-ck about their safety in the first place, they can be bought for cheap rewards. Also I don't think you needed an app installed on your phone and give more of personal data for a cosmetic pet.
    The fuck did you read from that? The authenticator with the pet as reward fueled a shit ton of orders, especially as it also helped protect the accounts. So, the fuck you reading about me claiming they didn't give a fuck about safety, wasn't a statement in my post. You received the pet by either, GASP, giving personal data to purchase the authenticator, or downloading (later on) the app that - I am not sure if did - could reward the pet (Not sure about the app doing it, someone need to confirm).

It's not free... it's easy. It requires an app installed and giving them your phone number and order this extra service in order to get the reward.
    It is free. It is a feature granted by Blizzard Entertainment. Whatever side costs isn't on theirs but you. Else there would technically be nothing free in the world, not even air, for you would have to use your own energy to inhale and exhale.

So f-ck off for ppl who can't use the sms protect service because of some reason they can't do anything about. These ppl also thougth that installing the app will easily give them the bag slots, then slap to the face: no sms protection, no bag slots.
    So, how about no? Apparently more have announced that they've received their 4 slots without SMS protection. Leave your tinfoil hat. As well, let us say that you needed SMS protection and now it is 'oh so unfair' to lose out on 4 slots - are you one of those who's against RAF then? Not everyone can RAF.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While I won't claim that you're wrong based on your experience, the blue posts on the topic have pretty much outright said you do. So either they've mispoken, or they haven't implemented it properly and you may, in the future, be required to activate it if you want to keep those 4 extra slots. Not that it should be a big deal either way.
    Oh, could be. Wouldn't be a problem but right now for me and a few handfuls (hundreds made it sound like I had an army), we have them and we're happy. Let the hoarding begin!
    Last edited by Lochton; 2018-01-17 at 11:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Gehco:

pretty sure you are just responding to a troll.
    What are you feeding it?
    It's having strange effects on the creature!
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Just incase, added SMS Protection ^^ Can't be bothered having the four slots disappear again..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    @Gehco:

What are you feeding it?
    Logic vs. tinfoil can give allergic reactions, I guess.

Deleted
    In before:
    this is another metric for blizzard's support to set priorities when it comes to serving tickets.

For instance:
    Have authenticator and SMS protect: priority = 3
    Have only authenticator: priority = 2
    Have none of the above: priority = 0
    Have a history of suspensions: priority = -10

I've added it to my account; just to see what all the fuss is about... Honestly, if they wanted they could get their hands on a lot more important data than just your phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeresman View Post
    @Gehco:

What are you feeding it?
    Oddly accurate seen how:
    a) trolls in WoW are based on a culture known for their stance and use of certain ignitable substance
    b) said substance can cause paranoia
    Last edited by mmocda667d9fcc; 2018-01-17 at 11:54 AM.

How could I sum this up...

There is big daddy Blizz who provides gaming service.

There are irresponsible ppl who can easily expose their account information to a 3rd party, because these ppl don't use common sense and have no idea about security risks (illegal sites ask for account information, they share things on social media etc.)

Blizz has some additional services that makes THEIR work easier to recover lost/hacked accounts. According to these safety services of Blizz, you can install an app to your phone and/or give your phone number. They do it for the safety of the account, they don't have any plans with this data, yet you can't know for sure what additional data is used/sent to Blizz accessing to your phone via their app.

Now some hacker gets into Blizz database where data of ppl is stored. Not everything, but like your name, phone number, location, possible access to phones that have Blizz apps installed on them. This data is all stored at a big ass public company. So you only have to breach the security of this one company and you can get data of thousands of account owners. You can even get into their social media, because many use FB for log-in, even more data.

So you got all this data, it's called identity. A phone number, a name, a place of birth, an age etc. As a 3rd party, you can sell these identities or use them. It's up to them, but using real identites, even for just hours is very real, and it's not a spy movie.

I'm not naive, I know there are other ways to steal identities, but this can be one of them. So no, thanks, I don't expose my identity to the Internet even more. I won't make hackers' work easier, because it's more profitable to hack into one database and steal tons of data from one place than hack into individual accounts/computers one by one. Big companies are big targets to hit.
    Id be far more concerned if someone managed to make a hack like that for data that actually has use in identity theft/credit card fraud such as bank account details, credit card details and most importantly my name and address!

There is almost nothing someone can do with just a phone number.... If they could why would they hack blizzard instead of jumping on the nearest phone directory which generally has peoples names and phone numbers (and in some places address) all in one convenient location and even better alphabetically listed for you. Maybe give it so you get a telemarketer call every day trying to sell you insurance? Damn you blizzard you must be the reason I get a some scamming person selling me life insurance atleast once a week!

Seriously if you are this scared of data theft, why even play WoW? Dont you realise they have your name, location, address, computer details amongst other stuff already?

As for blizzard teaching people to be safe, maybe you should check out their forums. They have articles on account and internet security etc. Do you want them to spend their own money and time putting every player through a internet security course which most likely will teach rubbish or out of date stuff anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I got my 4 extra slots today..and I ONLY have the mobile authenticator....
    REPORTED!

For scamming the system.
    Those who do not stand with the Forsaken stand against them. And those who stand against the Forsaken will not stand long

10+ Year Old Account
    Then why Blizz, a gaming company asks for it, if I wanted those 4 bag slots in-game?
    To send you two-factor authentication codes to protect your account.

Nah, read it again. If someone could steal your data from Blizz. I believe (I can't know for sure) that Blizz is for our security, sure. But what if some 3rd party would steal Blizz/user data at some point? The whole thing blows up, not only your characters and account. That's why I don't give them my phone number, so a 3rd party won't steal mine from Blizz, which is a big company with big publicity.

- - - Updated - - -

That's why it's advertised and tied to those bagslots. It needs more attention.
    If you think phone numbers are so important then you should have a hidden phone number that doesn't show up in caller ID when you call people. Ever bought anything online? Then you probably gave them your phone number. Have you ever sent a text message to someone that isn't a close friend or family member? Like a colleague or boss or something similar? Then congrats you just gave them your super important secret phone number and they have the horrible and terrifying ability to contact you.

The authenticator app can only do what it has permissions to do, the only permissions it requires are read/write access to its own folder in your phone storage and Internet access to authenticate and give you your code. Those permissions can't be used to spy on you, maybe you should take off that tin foil hat.

You are so afraid of someone having your phone number or blizzard spying on you, yet here you are on the Internet where literally every website you visit is tracking you. Do you have an Android or iPhone? Oh wait, it doesn't matter they both track you more than your government.

Your ISP knows every website you have visited, hackers aren't interested in your phone number, but your entire Internet traffic is a gold mine. You better use a VPN all the time everytime, oh wait that doesn't matter because your VPN provider can still track you. You could use Tor, oh wait tor isn't 100% safe either, FBI have tracked people through tor so you aren't safe there either.

Your phone number is the least of your security problems. Only way to be "safe" is to live completely off the grid.

I don't even have a smart phone. All I carry is one of those cheap-o flip phones for emergencies. Thanks blizz.

Paranoid OP... lol.

I'm not getting it. Not because I'm scared of corporations or because of conspiracy theories, but simply because it's pain in the ass, and I believe the risk outweighs the benefits.

I'm more likely to lose my phone, or to simply be annoyed by having to enter the codes all the time on a dynamic IP than be hacked.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    I'm not getting it. Not because I'm scared of corporations or because of conspiracy theories, but simply because it's pain in the ass, and I believe the risk outweighs the benefits.

I'm more likely to lose my phone, or to simply be annoyed by having to enter the codes all the time on a dynamic IP than be hacked.
    Literally everything you said there is wrong.
    But the good thing is - you don't have to get it. It's ok to be without it.
    Enjoy!

Actually, enabled SMS protection is indeed less secure than disabled. Very common approach is to social engineer your phone company to get texts forwarded, etc, and then use that to disable 2FA. That seems like a lot of work to steal a WoW account, but it is technically correct.

Blizzard wants players to have both 2FA and SMS enabled because it reduces their CS costs if you lose your 2FA key, and the additional risk from enabling SMS is relatively minor.

Don't know what sms protect is, but I must have enabled it at some point and it must not have been a big deal at all because I have my slots. I seriously don't understand how people can complain about any of this. I've had the mobile authenticator since it was released and it's never caused me any grief. I don't even realize I have it because it just asks me for codes once in a blue moon - hell, you don't even have to manually input the codes anymore, just click confirm or whatever when you get the notification on your phone. Like, really, why are people even making a thing out of this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Actually I was expecting people would be bitching about the fact that Blizzard said for the longest time they cannot change the backpack size (because of the way the code is imbedded?) - and now they suddenly can :P
    Or maybe they finally found out ^^

Yeah, they can draw the picture of a guy, shoot him with their ads. Then what? They get money from me if I actually buy their products. Their ads reach me only if I let them (sounds trival, but adblock makes miracles).

Having a picture of a guy doesn't make them know my phone number, social insurance data, bank account data etc., because I don't share them. These are sensitive informations that ppl should not share/tell at any public place/surface. Now they ask for one of my exact sensitive data in order to get 4 bag slots in-game.
    I see you're either still unwilling or unable to read. I spelled out all the personal information companies like FB and Google gather by what you do online, which is far more detailed and personal than your phone number. Giving Blizzard SMS your phone number does not give them ANY private information, because your number isn't private in the first place. As I've pointed out, it's been bought and sold by dozens of companies already.

I'm 100% certain you're trolling at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Actually, enabled SMS protection is indeed less secure than disabled. Very common approach is to social engineer your phone company to get texts forwarded, etc, and then use that to disable 2FA. That seems like a lot of work to steal a WoW account, but it is technically correct.

Blizzard wants players to have both 2FA and SMS enabled because it reduces their CS costs if you lose your 2FA key, and the additional risk from enabling SMS is relatively minor.
    You actually disprove your own point. With SMS protect someone has to first know your cell number, your cell carrier and then be able to trick an employee at your cell carrier to violate company policy and forward your number to a different phone without actually being able to prove they're really you.

Without SMS protect, someone can steal your account without going through any of that hassle. Thus proving SMS is MUCH more secure than not having SMS. Without SMS all someone needs is access to your email.
    Last edited by Slicer299; 2018-01-17 at 10:58 PM.
    Cooler Master H500P Mesh | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 3TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz