Thread: RAM question

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RAM question

I’ll be upgrading my CPU to a i7 8700k next month, which means I have to upgrade my mobo and RAM as well.
    I’m planning on keeping this CPU-mobo-RAM setup at least a few years.

Now my question is: do I get 32GB of RAM if I want to futureproof?
    I use my computer for gaming and watching series/browsing/youtubing/… on second monitor. Main monitor is 27” 1440p, second one is 22” 1080p.
    GPU is GTX 1080 but will replace that one sooner than I replace the i7 8700k ofc.

I’ll always want to play the newest games on highest settings possible.
    Money is not really a problem, but saving €200 (in Belgium for 16GB vs 32GB) is still saving €200.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by Palaplu; 2018-01-17 at 12:07 PM.
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

I don't even know what would require 32gb of ram?! 16 seems "future proof" u can always buy more later if you would need it.
    R.I.P Cityfella 2004-2016 <Warrior for life>

For gaming 16GB is futureproof, no doubt. If the computer is used for heavy graphics use, ie. Photoshop, I would go for 32GB (possibly 64GB, but someone with Photoshop experience would probably be better at answering this)

/ Z.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cityfella View Post
    I don't even know what would require 32gb of ram?! 16 seems "future proof" u can always buy more later if you would need it.
    I've read that you shouldnt buy extra RAM later and expect it to play nice with your original sticks, even with same speed and CAS latency. So either I'd buy 16GB now and be 'stuck' with that until I replace my CPU+mobo in a few years, or I buy 32GB now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    For gaming 16GB is futureproof, no doubt. If the computer is used for heavy graphics use, ie. Photoshop, I would go for 32GB (possibly 64GB, but someone with Photoshop experience would probably be better at answering this)

/ Z.
    Videogames won't suddenly require more RAM in the next, let's say, 5 years? Shadow of War's recommended RAM is already 12GB
    Last edited by Palaplu; 2018-01-17 at 10:53 AM.
    Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI CODE | Intel Core i9-9900k | 32GB RAM DDR4-3200 CL16 | ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER

Quote Originally Posted by Palaplu View Post
    Videogames won't suddenly require more RAM in the next, let's say, 5 years?
    I can only speak of personal experience but since 2012 I've had 16GB of RAM. I've been able to play everything thrown at me. Now I have 32GB, but only because I run multiple VMs. Modern games are more dependant on GPU than RAM and CPU.

But then again, if moneys not an issue, then go for 32GB. But for gaming you'd be better off investing the "extra" money on a bigger graphics card
    Last edited by Zhira; 2018-01-17 at 11:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    I can only speak of personal experience but since 2012 I've had 16GB of RAM. I've been able to play everything thrown at me. Now I have 32GB, but only because I run multiple VMs. Modern games are more dependant on GPU than RAM and CPU.

But then again, if moneys not an issue, then go for 32GB. But for gaming you'd be better off investing the "extra" money on a bigger graphics card
    Well my GPU is a (white) KFA2 HoF GTX 1080, so I'm not planning on replacing it in the first year or so.

Might go for the 32GB RAM then.
    I just don't want to fall short in RAM before I upgrade my CPU+mobo again in a few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well my GPU is a (white) KFA2 HoF GTX 1080, so I'm not planning on replacing it in the first year or so ������.
    Might go for the 32GB RAM then.
    I just don't want to fall short in RAM before I upgrade myCPU+mobo again in a few years.
    i would go with 2x16gb ram so you can still upgrade to 64 if needed

Photoshop depends on how you use it if you have a good dslr like Canon 5D and take photographs in RAW format you will be better with 64gb but if you work with photos taken by your smartphone 32gb are easy enough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaze View Post
    i would go with 2x16gb ram so you can still upgrade to 64 if needed

Photoshop depends on how you use it if you have a good dslr like Canon 5D and take photographs in RAW format you will be better with 64gb but if you work with photos taken by your smartphone 32gb are easy enough
    Not planning on using any Photoshop, but thanks for this information

Deleted
    For gaming 16 GB is more than enough. Your GPU RAM is more and more important but with GTX 1080 you don't need to worry about that for few years (unless you want to play games in 4K)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxliev View Post
    For gaming 16 GB is more than enough. Your GPU RAM is more and more important but with GTX 1080 you don't need to worry about that for few years (unless you want to play games in 4K)
    Nope, not planning on 4k in the first few years (recently switched from 1080p to 1440p).

As far as I know 8GB of ram is plenty for a gaming system, the only reason one would need more is if you have a GPU with a low amount of Vram, then some more regular ram come in handy, other then that, 16 GB should have you covered (seeing you have a 1080 with vram to spare)

Also ram is stupidly expensive these days, getting more later if you would need it (doubtfull) would hopefully be cheaper.

Deleted
    If gaming is the most ram intensive thing you do then as others have said, 16gb is more than enough. The improvements seen going from 8gb-16gb is in minimum frame rates and largely only when the frame buffer size of the GPU is exceeded (seen as "hitching"), which you won't be able to do at 1440p using normal settings (minus hairworks/insanity). Exceeding your GPU frame buffer size is a totally undesirable situation anyway, no-one serious about gaming would do it, if you ventured into 4k down the line the you'd replace the gpu with one with move vram anyway

If you buy ram by part number, you could add easily add another 16gb before ddr5 kicks off, if you are otherwise happy with the build at that point. Popular parts from either GSkill of Corsair will still be about at that point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonGenaro View Post
    If gaming is the most ram intensive thing you do then as others have said, 16gb is more than enough. The improvements seen going from 8gb-16gb is in minimum frame rates and largely only when the frame buffer size of the GPU is exceeded (seen as "hitching"), which you won't be able to do at 1440p using normal settings (minus hairworks/insanity). Exceeding your GPU frame buffer size is a totally undesirable situation anyway, no-one serious about gaming would do it, if you ventured into 4k down the line the you'd replace the gpu with one with move vram anyway

If you buy ram by part number, you could add easily add another 16gb before ddr5 kicks off, if you are otherwise happy with the build at that point. Popular parts from either GSkill of Corsair will still be about at that point.
    Thank you (and everyone here) for the advice.
    I'll be going for 16GB RAM.
    If really needed later, I will add another 16GB

Whatever you do, go with fast memory, coffee lake takes advantage of it. I run DDR4 3200 in my 8700k

Quote Originally Posted by Illuman View Post
    Whatever you do, go with fast memory, coffee lake takes advantage of it. I run DDR4 3200 in my 8700k
    Beter advantage of it than previous chips, but we're talking single-digit improvements. Its not worth spending 30+$ on a faster kit as long as you're at 2666 or so, though oddly, 3000mhz kits seem to be quite a bit cheaper than 2666 or 3200, so thats probably your best bet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illuman View Post
    You know that memory clock says nothing without the CT. the higher the clock the better the lower the cycle time the better. A 3000mhz ram with 12ms CT is faster than 3200 with 16ms CT.

In general, you should buy standard ram of a reliable quality manufacturer for example kingston or corsair. 4gb is fine, 8gb is good, 16gb is more than you need, 32 is overkill unless you are an architect and you plan to open gigantic architectural plans. More than 16gb ram is not for gamers but for workstations that operate with enormous files.

Get a 3200 or 3000 its pretty standard right now, when within thesame price range and speed get the die that has lower CT.

Im asuming you dont want blinking diodes on your ram. Heat radiators and encasing is also mainly just a fashion. I were reading on it last year when i was asembling my new pc and at start i also wanted 32Gb of ram since i operate on large vector files but after some reading and getting over the cool blinky lights i decided for Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 16GB(2x8GB), 3000MHz
    That is running with a 4.6 kabby lake and asus 1070. i played doom on max details in 2560x1440 and it stays within 75-100fps
    Didnt have my computer hitch once nor ran out of ram and if i need to i can always buy 2 more leaves of ram and put it in my motherboard.

I hope this helps

18 months ago I might have said go for 32 because why not. But the price of ram has really gone up so it has really become one of those things that can blow your budget up now if you go overkill. Unless you are really doing a lot of content creation / video editting type stuff 32 gigs is over kill. 16 gigs is more than enough. 8 is enough but boarder line these days. 16 is more than enough and near the over the line mark. 32 is just way over, again, unless you do a lot of editting.

Thank you (and everyone here) for the advice.
    I'll be going for 16GB RAM.
    If really needed later, I will add another 16GB
    Better to get what you need now rather than trying to add more later hoping for compatibility. Manufactures won’t guarantee compatibility when mixing kits. And 2 sticks are better than 4 in a dual channel MB so you’d be wasting money anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get yourself 32gb when you get to play 4k.

I’ll be upgrading my CPU to a i7 8700k next month, which means I have to upgrade my mobo and RAM as well.
    i'm going to go slightly off topic, which cpu are you upgrading from (and are you selling)?