That puddle in Hyjal is where the Well of Eternity was?

So I finished that Illidan questline and honestly I had no freaking clue that the Well of Eternity was in Hyjal. I thought it was supposed to have been obliterated in the sundering?

I even swam all the way down to the bottom of it - it goes deep - and there's just a gray stone at the bottom. Guessing that's a piece of Night Elf architecture.

Does anyone know if this was just added for the Illidan questline or has that always been there in Hyjal?

Deleted
    Illidan used some of the water of the old one to make a new one in Hyjal. The sunwell was similarly made.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    So I finished that Illidan questline and honestly I had no freaking clue that the Well of Eternity was in Hyjal. I thought it was supposed to have been obliterated in the sundering?

I even swam all the way down to the bottom of it - it goes deep - and there's just a gray stone at the bottom. Guessing that's a piece of Night Elf architecture.

Does anyone know if this was just added for the Illidan questline or has that always been there in Hyjal?
    Has always been there. Even when Hyjal was off-limits in Vanilla. It was Warcraft 3 lore.

But it is not the original Well. The original exploded, and Illidan kept six (seve?) vials of its water. Some (three?) of the vials were used to create this second Well of Eternity in Hyjal, and that's the reason Illidan was called traitor and imprisoned, as the night elves had forbidden arcane magic. The world tree Nordrassil was planted over the Well to hide it/contain its power. In the Third War, Archimonde tried to absorb the Well's power, as was shown in Warcraft 3 and retelled in the Caverns of Time Hyjal raid in TBC.

One of Illidan's vials was also stolen thousands of years ago by the highborne and used to create the Sunwell.

I don't remember what happened to the remaining vials.
    Whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Has always been there. Even when Hyjal was off-limits in Vanilla. It was Warcraft 3 lore.

But it is not the original Well. The original exploded, and Illidan kept six (seve?) vials of its water. Some (three?) of the vials were used to create this second Well of Eternity in Hyjal, and that's the reason Illidan was called traitor and imprisoned, as the night elves had forbidden arcane magic. The world tree Nordrassil was planted over the Well to hide it/contain its power. In the Third War, Archimonde tried to absorb the Well's power, as was shown in Warcraft 3 and retelled in the Caverns of Time Hyjal raid in TBC.

One of Illidan's vials was also stolen thousands of years ago by the highborne and used to create the Sunwell.

He gave Kael'thas and Lady Vashj one each and used another to create a font of magic inside BT, as far as I know atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    He gave Kael'thas and Lady Vashj one each and used another to create a font of magic inside BT, as far as I know atleast.
    Nice call. I had forgotten that.
    Was it ever said what Vashj and Kael used their vials for?
    Gonna research it.
    Whatever...

The original exploded, and Illidan kept six (seve?) vials of its water.
    Seven vials indeed.

Two were given to Kael'thas and Vashj and were reclaimed by us adventurers in the attunement quests for Hyjal and are currently held by the Bronze Dragonflight.

Last one is a bit of a mystery but Kanrethad of the Black Harvest notes that the Shrine of Lost Souls in the Black Temple feels similar in power and the seventh vial may have been used there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    Two were given to Kael'thas and Vashj and were reclaimed by us adventurers in the attunement quests for Hyjal and are currently held by the Bronze Dragonflight.
    Just to clarify, we reclaimed the empty vials.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just to clarify, we reclaimed the empty vials.
    Judging by the quest they still had at least some water in them.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:The_Vials_of_Eternity

Kael and Vashj might have used some of it but the quest items and completion text state that they weren't empty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    Judging by the quest they still had at least some water in them.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:The_Vials_of_Eternity

Kael and Vashj might have used some of it but the quest items and completion text state that they weren't empty.
    They are remnants of the vials. Like they didn't shake out every last drop.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd assume Kael and Vashj used them for their respective projects in Outland. Btw the original well can be seen in WoW in the Well of Eternity dungeon.

Also the original well was where the Maelstrom is now.