Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Player Twelve View Post
    So, what countries have recently abolished it then? Because in Sweden, where it was removed as a penalty in the early 20th century, crime has increased a lot since then.
    Says the last one was carried in the late 1920 violent crimes fluctuated up and down regardless of it before and after.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Saying to give them money or they commit crime is blackmail, by definition. It's not incentive.
    no... if they threatened to commit the acts UNLESS you give them money is blackmail...

you preemptively acting to provide incentive against the act is NOT blackmail....

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Says the last one was carried in the late 1920 violent crimes fluctuated up and down regardless of it before and after.
    It's also an insignificant number just like the 100 vs 1.51 million. 621 people had the death penalty imposed on them when measured from the late 18th century until it early 20th century. The fact that there are so few crimes that are punished by death makes and the fact that it's a rare penalty in the first place makes it very hard to actually check just how effective it is as a deterrent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    no... if they threatened to commit the acts UNLESS you give them money is blackmail...

you preemptively acting to provide incentive against the act is NOT blackmail....
    Damn it, If I only had more money I wouldn't have had to rape that girl for wearing a skimpy outfit.

Said no one ever.

Damn it, If I only had more money I wouldn't have had to rape that girl for wearing a skimpy outfit.

Said no one ever.
    what the hell does that have to do with anything I said?

the only crime I mentioned was blackmail... not rape, murder, assault, etc... Blackmail and a clarification on how it's blackmail. Someone advising you to spend time and effort looking into a subject and maybe trying to find a way to prevent it isn't blackmail if it turns out you can spend time/resources and directly impact it, UNLESS it's the individuals who would be directly causing the undesired action putting the notion forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yes let's start publicly flogging people, great idea. *massive eyeroll*
    You're not caned publicly, it's always private.

- - - Updated - - -

looked it up... it seems that it's been banned unless you have a medical reason to have it and must be prescribed by a doctor to obtain... so yeah I'm going to say that's not legal.

And this is because someone didn't like people leaving gum around places.
    You can't buy, you can't import(Foreigners can bring it with them if it's not too much and just for personal use), you can't sell, you can chew if you do have gum.

- - - Updated - - -

How would you know who to provide the incentive to? Are you just going to give everyone the same amount of money when probably not even 1/4 would consider committing any crime? You better pay that from your private bank account in that case because that is a massive waste of money.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-01-18 at 05:40 AM.

You're not caned publicly, it's always private.
    not exactly helping your case

You can't buy, you can't import(Foreigners can bring it with them on a visit if it's not too much and just for personal use), you can't sell, you can chew if you do have gum.
    yeah... heavily controlled isn't exactly screaming 'legal'

How would you know who to provide the incentive to?
    That's teh first expenditure. figure out who/what/when/why/etc... it's not just roaming around "hey kid here's some money to not spray up the place!" Think more setting aside funding to push for programs that promote other activities and those activities being what reward the 'incentive'

Get past "omg they want money" and think more "how can we better allocate what resources we do have?"

Singapore is a tiny ass island with like 2 land routes in and out of it - a couple bridges. This means getting away with a crime is immediately much more difficult. The USA is gargantuan compared to singapore, you could easily hide within the USA for decades by just hopping states and that doesn't include the fact that you have an enormous country to the north that you can hide in and an enormous country to the south you can hide in.

Covering Singapore in cameras wouldn't be that hard, covering America in cameras would be pretty much impossible, or cost trillions.

Comparing the US and singapore in any way is stupid af.

Singapore is also basically an ethno state. 95%+ of the population is from South East asia, meaning there are virtually no culture clashes when it comes to laws or religion.

Again, there is no comparison here at all. Next you'll compare Vatican City to Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post

Singapore is also basically an ethno state. 95%+ of the population is from South East asia, meaning there are virtually no culture clashes when it comes to laws or religion.
    Majority are ethnic chinese, who constitute roughly 75% of the population, malays 15% and indian roughly 7-8%, the rest on various other ethnicities. There's plenty of different cultures here and there are certainly culture clashes, especially with the malays.

- - - Updated - - -

Get past "omg they want money" and think more "how can we better allocate what resources we do have?"
    I'm not exactly keen on giving in to people demanding money or they commit crime.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    This is entirely correct. The Attorney General of the United States still owns stocks in private prisons. And you wonder why they are rolling back the pot laws.
    Im amazed that this isnt all over the news more then it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    We should be more strict with crime. Harsher penalties for some crimes. Do not think we need to follow Singapore's example however. But hard core drug ( not weed ) pushers ( not users ) should be treated like mass murderers. Because that is in essence what they are.
    So i guess you in favor of jailing the pharmaceutical CEOs for selling Oxycontin and the like that gets you hooked on drugs to begin with?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    "Don't they still remove peoples hands for the crime of stealing?"

"That has nothing to do with crime or justice."

Wat.
    Just curious, int he cases of those that had their hands chopped of do you think they returned to fruitful life of working? Or do you think they now got even less incetive to find a job since there are so many less jobs they can do?

Covering Singapore in cameras wasn't that hard
    Fixed that for you.

Majority are ethnic chinese, who constitute roughly 75% of the population, malays 15% and indian roughly 7-8%, the rest on various other ethnicities. There's plenty of different cultures here and there are certainly culture clashes, especially with the malays.
    Sure, but i imagine it doesn't compare to the shitty situation in European countries right now. Malysia is neighbours with Singapore, and China is fairly close too, so theres a lot of shared culture all around South East Asia no doubt. Compare this to Europe, where western democratic secular societies are being flooded by middle eastern dictatorships disguised as theocracies. In this instance, we can't even get some of them to agree that women aren't for raping. I can't imagine Singapore has anything even close to this level of insanity by having Malaysian or Indian people in it.

Sure, but i imagine it doesn't compare to the shitty situation in European countries right now. Malysia is neighbours with Singapore, and China is fairly close too, so theres a lot of shared culture all around South East Asia no doubt. Compare this to Europe, where western democratic secular societies are being flooded by middle eastern dictatorships disguised as theocracies. In this instance, we can't even get some of them to agree that women aren't for raping. I can't imagine Singapore has anything even close to this level of insanity by having Malaysian or Indian people in it.
    Malays are Muslim...Singapore's been dealing with a large Muslim minority much longer than the current immigration problems in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post

doppelgangers are rare.
    Ah. Where you live people must be incorruptible beings of pure virtue that are incapable of fallibility. See where I live, the real world, humans lie, cheat, and steal and can be wrong. Even the ones responsible for maintaining law and order!

You seem to believe only guilty people are accused of crimes. Which is actually the sort of circular reasoning that proves my point.

Are you telling me no one has ever accused you of doing something you didn't do? I was one accused of taking another kid's colored pencils in kindergarten. I didn't do it, but I guess I was guilty all the same, right?
    Last edited by Zamfix; 2018-01-18 at 08:28 AM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you consider people property... Sure.

if they weren't hardened and tough criminals when sentenced they sure will be when they get out.

You don't want them to get out though, right?

You just want whoever you deem undesirable executed asap because dead people don't ask questions or put ideas in peoples heads.

Wake up numbnuts. This is middle-school how2treat others and why 101.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Do you understand what relative poverty is? It's income equality. If you're going to rant about how relative poverty is the leading cause for crime then your argument is bullshit. People in relative poverty can't afford luxuries but they still live a decent life. If they commit crime to obtain the luxuries, it's their greed and choice to do so. Not their supposed poverty. If you argued that absolute poverty can make people commit crime out of need I'd certainly agree but relative poverty? Fuck no.
    So what you are saying is that most people that commit crimes do it to be able to buy luxury stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    https://worldstarhiphop.com/videos/v...S7isQ1VXNI0EpG

Wonder if we could do that here. At least in the major cities I think we can.
    It's funny, you already have the highest percentage of your population in jail, you want to put even more people in there?
    Instead of punishing those people you had better found a way that they don't need to go for a life of crime. You know, like Walmart actually paying people for the job they do instead of making sure they get state sponsored food stamps, stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    The OP is an Alt-Righter, so he's okay with a lil fascism.
    Hurr Durr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    that would mean he's a liberal.
    You have no clue what "liberal" actually means do you?
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

I already have, it's a deterrent.
    So i guess there are not theft in any of the countries that have chopping of hands of thieves? Surely they must now have gotten the message that theft is not ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Deianeira View Post
    So i guess there are not theft in any of the countries that have chopping of hands of thieves? Surely they must now have gotten the message that theft is not ok?
    Do you know what deterrence means? You do not need to deter each and every single person who would commit a crime for a penalty to be a deterrence.

- - - Updated - - -

Malays in Singapore are mostly muslims and they make up a far larger percentage of the population in Singapore than they do in any country in Europe as far as I'm aware.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-01-18 at 11:10 AM.

Lel, calling the nordic countries democracies? Are you serious? We might have 8 parties in the parliament here in Sweden but no matter what party you vote for, you get roughly the same policies unless you vote for the left party or the sweden democrats. We have a word for it in Sweden "skendemokrati", realistically we have the choice between a party with communist roots or a party with neo-nazi roots if we want any difference from the 6 other parties. If you vote for MP, S, C, L, M or KD you get the same roughly the same package no matter which of them you vote for even though people vote for the different parties to get different policies.
    Just curious what kind of package would you like i mean in terms of the policy the current ones want?