Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Getting married (japanese and american theme) info needed?

So im a black male marring a japanese women. I convinced her to do a mix theme, she wanted a normal american style i wanted to wear the japanese cloths b/c im a weeb lolz. Anyway the bride and groom will wear traditional japanese atire with a american ceremony with japanese pre wedding event(no idea what that is). So i have no idea what tradition japanese wedding cloths are other then what they look like i been googling things but the all knowing online community knows everything so no better place to ask for some info.
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol,this seems very specific so I can’t even imagine Japanese traditions, but best wishes on you and your bride.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Congrats, but why don't you ask her? Also, maybe she doesn't want it because she doesn't feel like she really belongs to that culture? That could be my reason not to do that kind of thing. Maybe you could find an organizator that know about this kind of stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Advice from a married man: Just do the wedding the way that she wants. It's all about her, let her have her day exactly the way she wants, no exceptions. You will be much, much happier that way, along with everybody else involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Advice from a married man: Just do the wedding the way that she wants. It's all about her, let her have her day exactly the way she wants, no exceptions. You will be much, much happier that way, along with everybody else involved.
    Quoting this man for speaking the truth.

We decided that my wife should handle the wedding since I have no real creative side at all. I am very pleased with how our Halloween themed wedding turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    So im a black male marring a japanese women. I convinced her to do a mix theme, she wanted a normal american style i wanted to wear the japanese cloths b/c im a weeb lolz. Anyway the bride and groom will wear traditional japanese atire with a american ceremony with japanese pre wedding event(no idea what that is). So i have no idea what tradition japanese wedding cloths are other then what they look like i been googling things but the all knowing online community knows everything so no better place to ask for some info.
    Ask her Father. As long as their family is in good standing, he would likely be proud of you for coming to him for advice.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    if i could, id upvote this.

if you want any variable to change, just two things, 1. car you come and leave in, 2. your attire.
    Blood Elves were based on a STRONG request from a poll of Asian players where many remarked on the Horde side that they and their girlfriends wanted a non-creepy femme race to play (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    While stereo typically, you are right, I anecdotally have the opposite experience. We are both very creative, her more than I as she is a career artist, she is terrified of planning out wedding. I handle these things very well as I don't stress about it, but she doesn't even know where to begin. lol

If I left it up to my fiance, we'd just get papers signed and be done with it. But I'm the one who actually wants the ceremony.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

ITT: Matriarchy strikes again. "Let her have anything she wants, or you'll be miserable!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    While stereo typically, you are right, I anecdotally have the opposite experience. We are both very creative, her more than I as she is a career artist, she is terrified of planning out wedding. I handle these things very well as I don't stress about it, but she doesn't even know where to begin. lol

If I left it up to my fiance, we'd just get papers signed and be done with it. But I'm the one who actually wants the ceremony.
    It was kind of like that with my wife, but I just let her do everything because I knew she wanted it "just so", and should have it that way since wedding days are usually much more important to a woman than a man (not to assume your situation).

I personally didn't really care, so I just let her do whatever she wanted and went along with it, since I'm kind of more in the "just get papers signed and be done with it" camp.

But, back to the OP, if she wanted you in Japanese attire, she'd have said "Honey, why don't you wear Japanese attire?". If she didn't say that, then forget about it. Let this be the first of many millions of tiny sacrifices you make for the sake of "Shalom bayit" as they say, "domestic peace".

I'd probably just talk to her? You're entering a (hopefully) lifelong commitment. It should start with more open communication.

As others have mentioned, if she's passionate about the wedding and you're more indifferent, let her do it her way. If you're also passionate about the ceremony, then you'll need to talk and compromise.

I imagine if she is Japanese by heritage yet doesn't want a Japanese ceremony, then she likely feels more like an American, not Japanese. Perhaps this is important to her?
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Is she Japanese Japanese or something like American of Japanese descent? Because there's a huuuuuuuuge difference.

Yeah what this guy said.

10+ Year Old Account
    What hetero nonsense is this.

If you can't compromise on something as basic as a wedding how do you expect to be able to compromise on anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

As much as I don't think you should use this theme, you came to the exact right place to find out how to at least do it right.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

Go traditional (with her side) !

My ex wife and I had a traditional Japanese wedding. The clothing for the guy isn't bad. Kimono top, hakama pants, hoari jacket, obi belt, funky socks that I can't think of the name of and Japanese flip flops. Pretty comfortable, although I can't stand things between my toes. The famale side of it would suck. Might be why she would rather have a western wedding. They have many many layers that are all very tight, after it's all on it weighs a ton. Plus, they wear a big ass wig and hat. The ceremony itself I thought was pretty nice. Drink sake, read some stuff, and get blessed.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Is she Japanese Japanese or something like American of Japanese descent? Because there's a huuuuuuuuge difference.
    So much this >_>

If it's the latter, Japanese style wedding may be just as alien to her as it's to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    What hetero nonsense is this.

If you can't compromise on something as basic as a wedding how do you expect to be able to compromise on anything else?
    The trick is knowing when to push for compromise. Sometimes you just have to let her have her way...sometimes she should just let you have yours, and she will. Choose your battles, wisely. The wedding is her day, let her have it. Your job on that day is smile and make her look good.

The trick is knowing when to push for compromise. Sometimes you just have to let her have her way...sometimes she should just let you have yours, and she will. Choose your battles, wisely. The wedding is her day, let her have it. Your job on that day is smile and make her look good.
    Wise words for a happy life together.

I agree with this, also this is a good habit to get into if you're planning on a long term marriage. Kek.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.