Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Doesn't matter. People should be able to eat whatever they want to if they are paying for it. They thought mandating restaurants to post calorie counts on the menus would make people cut back and as anyone with a brain knew, most people don't give a shit about calorie counts and so now they are moving forward with throwing people in jail if they serve too many calories per meal.
    I completely agree with the bolded. However, if people want their government to be in charge of health care and other services, then they should expect the government (for affordability and rationing sake) to put limits on health care services provided as well as things that increase the cost of health care: excess food consumption. The Brits already put people who are smokers/obese in the back of the bus for certain surgeries so why wouldn't they also put other controls on people's eating habits?

Don't get me wrong, it is disgusting what they are doing, but they are doing exactly what the voters asked them to do: basically run their lives.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    But if they limit it, how am I supposed to buy a 7x7?

1X1 at a time?
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I mean, just eat two of the ready meals. Not like there'll be someone telling you you can't.
    Half the calories so you can eat twice as much.

- - - Updated - - -

Many people in the UK pay for their own private insurance as well. Why should they be forced to eat like a mouse too?
    Nobody is being forced to eat less in our country. All they are doing is setting limits to standard ready meals that are sold (which are almost universally disgusting anyway).

There are limits for the amount of sugar in food, the amount of salt in food or the amount of x nutrient in food, this is true in many countries including the US. You can still buy as much of the shit as you want.
    Last edited by Lollis; 2018-01-19 at 01:40 AM.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    OP is an example of taking everything to the extreme.

Calorie capping refers to capping "ready-made" meals, that is, stuff you buy as a whole meal, like fast food meals, to a specific amount of calories. You can still eat as much as you want.

This would be a positive.

I also feel compelled to point out there are plenty of food-related limits already, such a sugar, salt, trans fats, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't matter. People should be able to eat whatever they want to if they are paying for it. They thought mandating restaurants to post calorie counts on the menus would make people cut back and as anyone with a brain knew, most people don't give a shit about calorie counts and so now they are moving forward with throwing people in jail if they serve too many calories per meal.

And people shouldn't need to buy 2 meals to get the amount of food they used to get in one. If they use the drive through, they aren't going to drive back and buy more when they realize their meal now includes a 2 ounce burger and 4 French fries so they will just suffer
    You know when a country has a 60% obesity rate maybe shit like this wouldn't be happening?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    But if they limit it, how am I supposed to buy a 7x7?

https://assets3.thrillist.com/v1/ima...lideshow_l.jpg
    Good god it's sitting in a pool of grease. My heart is crying out in pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Good god it's sitting in a pool of grease. My heart is crying out in pain.
    This is how you keep your god like figure. Interesting I must write this down "No 6 patty cheeseburgers and fries in a pool of grease"
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by peaky blinder View Post
    youre probably a fat bastard who would come out in a cold sweat at the mere thought of less than 5k calories a day.
    i read the piece & it also says "In December, new health guidelines urged Brits to limit their eating at mealtimes to 1,600 calories a day, which breaks down to 400 calories for breakfast, 600 for lunch and 600 for dinner".
    which is bs, as the recommended calorie intake for a man is 2,500 calories per day.
    some americans are so gullible in what you believe, or want to believe, that its a constant source of amusement to the rest of the world.
    keep up the good work, as here's one englishman who enjoys a good laugh at your expense.
    He's said before he's about 50 pounds overweight, but just considers it a little chub. Also, his idea of intense daily workout is walking up 1 flight of stairs.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

10+ Year Old Account
    A healthy person who lives to be 95 years old cost multitudes more money to take care of over their lifetime than ANY fat person who dies at 55.
    See everyone, this is how we reduce health spending. Make everyone fat and also force them to take up smoking, it'll cost less money to support them BECAUSE THEY FUCKING DIE EARLIER.

How fucking stupid do you really have to be to think that this argument is even remotely sensible?
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peaky blinder View Post
    which is bs, as the recommended calorie intake for a man is 2,500 calories per day.
    some americans are so gullible in what you believe, or want to believe, that its a constant source of amusement to the rest of the world.
    keep up the good work, as here's one englishman who enjoys a good laugh at your expense.
    Recommended calorie intake is nonsense. Caloric intake depends on a large number of factors, such as amount of daily exercise, type of lifestyle (active/sedentary), metabolism, any chronic conditions, height, existing weight, gender...it's not just a number you can throw out there with confidence for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    OP makes it sound like they'll be having people monitored every time they eat... :V
    That's their next trick.

I don't think it's the government's place to be making these kinds of regulations in general. But this article is being spun into something it's not. This is specifically talking about regulating fast food and some instant meals.

Mandating driving a maximum of 1000 miles per year, to reduce the risk of car accident injuries
    Actually that kind of regulation is legitimate, because drivers are a danger to other people as well rather than simply themselves.

I think that once automated cars become commonplace enough, you'll gradually see manually driven cars become banned altogether. Probably from major cities first.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    I just had a sandwich from a local shop that had to be 1300+ Calories easily. I’m not fat or even unhealthy by any legitimate medical index. The government shouldn’t get to tell me what I can and can’t eat or how much I eat
    If you read the article, this proposal wouldn't interfere with that in any way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't think it's the government's place to be making these kinds of regulations in general.
    Who should?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    He's said before he's about 50 pounds overweight, but just considers it a little chub. Also, his idea of intense daily workout is walking up 1 flight of stairs.
    I never said it was an intense daily workout. I said its plenty of daily exercise for most people

- - - Updated - - -

Who should?
    Nobody. Let people have the freedom to eat what they want to. They arent hurting anyone else by being overweight

10+ Year Old Account
    Nobody. Let people have the freedom to eat what they want to. They arent hurting anyone else by being overweight
    Weren't you complaining in another thread about people putting strain on the healthcare system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Weren't you complaining in another thread about people putting strain on the healthcare system.
    Not I. The only time Ive mentioned the strain on the healthcare system is all the illegal aliens sucking up resources when they should be deported instead, and the people who refuse to buy insurance and treat the ER like a family doctor

The point is that the government doesnt need to combat it. Its a personal choice They need to let people be free and eat whatever the hell they want to and stay off of our plates!

Its none of the government's business if someone wants to be overweight (or at the very least, doesnt care if they are), and dont even try to bring up healthcare costs. A healthy person who lives to be 95 years old cost multitudes more money to take care of over their lifetime than ANY fat person who dies at 55.

- - - Updated - - -

Many people in the UK pay for their own private insurance as well. Why should they be forced to eat like a mouse too?
    You literally called for the government to combat all sorts of things, like in the threads of yours I pointed out. Youa re embarrassing yourself, but sadly, I think that's the point.

Who should?
    What I mean is that the government has a legitimate role in regulating say, poisons, accurate labelling etc. But I think it's crossing a line when they start trying to regulate how "healthy" food is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    You literally called for the government to combat all sorts of things, like in the threads of yours I pointed out. Youa re embarrassing yourself, but sadly, I think that's the point.
    I only call to ban things that pose a danger to others

I only call to ban things that pose a danger to others
    That's an outright lie.

You want more restrictions on RV's, you want to ban pineapple on pizza, you want to ban gay marriage, you want to ban rap battles, Pokemon Go, more restrictions on rental car companies, and you want to force European restaurants to serve all-you-can-eat foods.

Yes, you are a liar and a hypocrite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's an outright lie.

You want more restrictions on RV's, you want to ban pineapple on pizza, you want to ban gay marriage, you want to ban rap battles, Pokemon Go, more restrictions on rental car companies, and you want to force European restaurants to serve all-you-can-eat foods.

Yes, you are a liar and a hypocrite.
    To be fair, I also want to ban pineapple on pizza.

Shit's nasty yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.