Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    A bunch of baby boomers.
    lol.

I'm going to say "paper money and coins".

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    lol.

I'm going to say "paper money and coins".
    Na. Pennies maybe. They are a waste now for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Maybe not gone but aux ports will probably be all but gone in the 1st world. Everything is going towards bluetooth nowadays.
    The moment a phone manufacturer removes headphone jack is the moment I switch brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    "Fire is bad, technology is scary, and Thomas Edison was a witch."

It's so terrible that people are being antisocial by spending all their time being social with people....wait....

And as always, there is an appropriate XKCD comic:

If you're out in public and not socializing, it's being anti-social. I can see how on a bus or in public with a bunch of strangers you not socializing is pretty normal, however if that also extends to when you're out with friends or family and you're "socializing" with people via an electronic device you're still being anti-social. Just because you're communicating doesn't mean you're socializing.

I'm not saying that being in contact with people all the time via your phone is bad, but it is not a substitute (or it's an extremely poor one) for actual physical social interaction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    The moment a phone manufacturer removes headphone jack is the moment I switch brands.
    100% this.

Bluetooth means wireless, wireless means batteries, which means my headphones could be useless at some point with no way to charge them.

OT: I'd have to say metal keys and locks.

World of Warcraft.

Microtransactions.

EA (and others) will strike again, pissing of millions of players again with another big outcry that gets even more politicians involved than last time. MTs get then registered as gambling, going extinct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Streaming will kill TV but streamings bitrate is fucking ass. The fucking worst and the "watch movies on your phone" generation is killing movie quality.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    Sometimes hard to believe things that were so popular 10, 20 maybe even 30 years ago are no completely gone. So the question becomes.

In 10 years, what something we use everyday that will be gone?

I am going to go with

The term sjw

Deleted
    most things that cause radical change in society are things you can't really predict. and on top of that, things like the internet and smartphones that did cause big changes, needed the better part of 5-10 years to do so. so real radical change in 10 years is hard to predict.

supermarkets certainly aren't going anywhere, they sell food. even if food delivery within 30 minutes becomes economical (which it wont in 10 years), there will always be a place for stores where you can physically buy food.

but things i can see on serious decline in 10 years:
    -wired chargers.
    -text based input devices on mobile devices.
    -aids/hiv
    -brick and mortar non-chain electronics and appliances stores, only a few big ones will remain.
    -net neutrality, VPNs, TOR, and the like pretty much globally. (just too much money and power involved).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    Phone apps as remote controls are completely retarded, because you have to constantly look at the buttons, and don't see any sane person wanting to do that.
    Disks can always be accessed, unlike the streaming services which require internet, they will never be replaced completely.
    Keys will always exist, simply because they are really the best thing when it comes to locking something. Even the cars that have some fancy keyless system come with a key, just in case the superduper keyless system is failing. Which always happens at some point

That will never happen, no sane person would want to have the stupid light go on and off every 30 seconds if he walks through the house. It's creepy and probably bad for the eyes and the epileptics.

I really don't see anything that we use today being gone in 10 years. It's a too short period for something to disappear completely.
    Fax machines?

Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    I didn't think anyone could top the stupidity of the original post, but you just did it.

There is ZERO need for a light to be on just because someone is in the room. There is also a good reason to have a light on when no one is in a room. Stop being so small-minded.
    I agree, lights do not need to be on just because someone is in a room.

Hence a user-configurable ambient light sensor that activates when the total illumination in a room falls below a given number of lumens.

I also agree that lights are sometimes useful in dim areas where there is not currently a person.

Hence a user-configurable proximity sensor that activates when a person is within a given range of the light.

You'll notice in my earlier post I also suggested a manual override via smartphone app if you want more or less illumination than the sensors provide by default.

I live in New England.

It is pitch dark when I get home from work.

My driveway is frequently icy.

I require lights to safely walk across my driveway without slipping, doubly so because I have small children.

I do not require these lights during the day when the sun is out.

I do not require these lights when I am anywhere other than my driveway.

Why do I need a lightswitch on the inside of my door that controls the outside light? All that does for me is waste 0.060 kWh of electricity for every hour I am away, because I leave the outside light on when I leave in the morning. Multiply that times the 125.82 million households in the US, and assume that all those households leave the outside light on for 8 hours a day when it isn't needed. That is 60,393,600 kWh of electricity wasted EVERY SINGLE DAY.

For comparison, I used 117 kWh of electricity last month. That means the US wastes enough electricity in a single day to unnecessary outside lights to power my house for 43,015 YEARS.
    Last edited by Antiganon; 2018-01-19 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

5+ Year Old Account
    Common sense
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

Annual nuisances and Government filings like Tax Returns, and such. Should be automated.

One can hope.
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-01-19 at 05:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Shoplifter View Post
    Common sense
    You stole my joke
    It's a shame that Shadowlands killed PvE twinking. Still I enjoy the game.
    Endgame: Main, Alt

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    I agree, lights do not need to be on just because someone is in a room.

Hence a user-configurable ambient light sensor that activates when the total illumination in a room falls below a given number of lumens.

I also agree that lights are sometimes useful in dim areas where there is not currently a person.

Hence a user-configurable proximity sensor that activates when a person is within a given range of the light.

You'll notice in my earlier post I also suggested a manual override via smartphone app if you want more or less illumination than the sensors provide by default.

I live in New England.

It is pitch dark when I get home from work.

My driveway is frequently icy.

I require lights to safely walk across my driveway without slipping, doubly so because I have small children.

I do not require these lights during the day when the sun is out.

I do not require these lights when I am anywhere other than my driveway.

Why do I need a lightswitch on the inside of my door that controls the outside light? All that does for me is waste 0.060 kWh of electricity for every hour I am away, because I leave the outside light on when I leave in the morning. Multiply that times the 125.82 million households in the US, and assume that all those households leave the outside light on for 8 hours a day when it isn't needed. That is 60,393,600 kWh of electricity wasted EVERY SINGLE DAY.

For comparison, I used 117 kWh of electricity last month. That means the US wastes enough electricity in a single day to unnecessary outside lights to power my house for 43,015 YEARS.
    You would be better off with a system that controlled the lights based on your voice commands.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinela View Post
    You stole my joke
    Mwahahaha
    Well of course I'd like to sit around and chat.
    Well of course I'd like to stay and chew the fat.
    But someone's listening in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    You would be better off with a system that controlled the lights based on your voice commands.
    Only if I have no visitors.

Edit: Motion sensing lights are already a thing, btw. When I own a house and can actually control the exterior light fixtures, I will have one. I currently rent, and my landlord is completely unreceptive to anything resembling reasonable conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Cell phones as we know them, most likely. We'll have some sort of personal communications device, but they'll be much less intrusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully WoW.

World of Warcraft