Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

I wish they had made it more difficult

I'm enjoying the level scaling. I haven't played in months and I'm finally looking forward to logging in when I have free time to continue my new journey. It's still really easy though. I haven't had any problems at all. I know that as someone who has been playing MMOs for 15 years, it would probably be hard to find a balance between a challenge for guys like us and not turning off new players; but I still wonder if they could ramp it up a tad. Coming from FFXI where you could barely solo a rabbit, I like dying while I'm leveling up. I like that little bit of frustration that you get when you fuck up and have to try a quest again.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take whatever this is over how it was on monday. My interest has really been rekindled. I just don't think Blizzard should have ever lowered the xp requirement or made us one shot things to begin with. You get a free boost when you buy an expansion, so the argument that you can't play endgame with your new friend really doesn't hold any weight.

For those who state that they don't have time to level like this, that they just want to be 110 and raid.. why are you leveling at all? Don't you already have 110s to gear and raid with? These systems were put in place for old players who like to level and new players to enjoy. I don't even see what it has to do with the endgame community. I saw one guy complain because he wanted to level an alt for enchanting, but now can't because of the scaling and "longer" leveling. Let's be real here.. it doesn't take much longer at all and it's not any more difficult. And why should Blizzard not attempt something to make leveling more enjoyable just to appease the type of people who speed level a toon to sit in town and enchant with. Doesn't that seem a bit narrow minded?

I don't know. I feel like I'm ranting a bit. I just don't at all get the complaints. The people upset by it don't even like leveling. So why are you leveling at all? I have 5 110s and everything else @100. If I hated leveling, I wouldn't make an alt. Scaled or not. I'm just very confused by the entire thing and I think the people complaining either haven't tried it out and jumped to conclusions or are just so bad at this game that they're actually struggling because they had to hit 4 buttons instead of 1. I wish these people weren't around so Blizzard would be free to really ramp up the difficulty without being bombarded by a bunch of screaming lunatics and forced to revert it as they did in Cataclysm with Heroics. I think difficulty creates a better community of players in general. Maybe that's why FFXI, and years ago WoW, had such a fantastic playerbase.

But who am I to judge. I just wish someone would enlighten me on why a few more hours of leveling = the sky falling and warrants people making threads asking the devs to commit suicide. I just don't get it.

I feel like I should give an example of how I feel they should make it more difficult. How about a more intelligent AI? What if scouts actually opened on you with kidney shot and hit you with an ambush. You'd have to use an ability or trinket out to fight them. What if rangers actually trapped you and tried to kite you, the way players will? A mage npc could frost nova you, blink, and hit you with an icebolt before you had a chance to do anything.

Right now, all those NPCs will do is wack you with their sword or just start casting a bolt right off the bat which is easily stunned/interrupted. I want to go to battle with the enemies while I level, not just outsmart a mob with an IQ of 40. Would that be interesting to any of you?
    Last edited by Transmigration; 2018-01-19 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmigration View Post
    I'm enjoying the level scaling. I haven't played in months and I'm finally looking forward to logging in when I have free time to continue my new journey. It's still really easy though. I haven't had any problems at all. I know that as someone who has been playing MMOs for 15 years, it would probably be hard to find a balance between a challenge for guys like us and not turning off new players; but I still wonder if they could ramp it up a tad. Coming from FFXI where you could barely solo a rabbit, I like dying while I'm leveling up. I like that little bit of frustration that you get when you fuck up and have to try a quest again.

Don't get me wrong, I'll take whatever this is over how it was on monday. My interest has really been rekindled. I just don't think Blizzard should have ever lowered the xp requirement or made us one shot things to begin with. You get a free boost when you buy an expansion, so the argument that you can't play endgame with your new friend really doesn't hold any weight.

For those who state that they don't have time to level like this, that they just want to be 110 and raid.. why are you leveling at all? Don't you already have 110s to gear and raid with? These systems were put in place for old players who like to level and new players to enjoy. I don't even see what it has to do with the endgame community. I saw one guy complain because he wanted to level an alt for enchanting, but now can't because of the scaling and "longer" leveling. Let's be real here.. it doesn't take much longer at all and it's not any more difficult. And why should Blizzard not attempt something to make leveling more enjoyable just to appease the type of people who speed level a toon to sit in town and enchant with. Doesn't that seem a bit narrow minded?

I don't know. I feel like I'm ranting a bit. I just don't at all get the complaints. The people upset by it don't even like leveling. So why are you leveling at all? I have 5 110s and everything else @100. If I hated leveling, I wouldn't make an alt. Scaled or not. I'm just very confused by the entire thing and I think the people complaining either haven't tried it out and jumped to conclusions or are just so bad at this game that they're actually struggling because they had to hit 4 buttons instead of 1. I wish these people weren't around so Blizzard would be free to really ramp up the difficulty without being bombarded by a bunch of screaming lunatics and forced to revert it as they did in Cataclysm with Heroics. I think difficulty creates a better community of players in general. Maybe that's why FFXI, and years ago WoW, had such a fantastic playerbase.

But who am I to judge. I just wish someone would enlighten me on why a few more hours of leveling = the sky falling and warrants people making threads asking the devs to commit suicide. I just don't get it.

I feel like I should give an example of how I feel they should make it more difficult. How about a more intelligent AI? What if scouts actually opened on you with kidney shot and hit you with an ambush. You'd have to use an ability or trinket out to fight them. What if rangers actually trapped you and tried to kite you, the way players will? A mage npc could frost nova you, blink, and hit you with an icebolt before you had a chance to do anything.

Right now, all those NPCs will do is wack you with their sword or just start casting a bolt right off the bat which is easily stunned/interrupted. I want to go to battle with the enemies while I level, not just outsmart a mob with an IQ of 40. Would that be interesting to any of you?
    Agreed, I am kinda tired of the endgame to be honest... Fatigued so it's really nice to just level an alt, not for the aim of max level content but just have fun of the adventure, be a noob again doing silly quests and just level and enjoy the story/zones.

I do wish mobs would at least do more damage, adding abilities to them and smart AI (as they are working on it for BfA) will take loads of work to implement across the whole game, I imagine the scale of work as revamping the world again like in Cata.

I like where the health pools are at with mobs now, especially in dungeons. Bosses actually survive long enough for them to use their mechanics 2-3 times.

I would like to see them dish out more damage though, I still feel as though healers have an easy time which could be made more challenging if the Tanks took more damage, and standing in fire was more punishing. While leveling, more damage from mobs might actually make it worthwhile to carry food around. Hell, bandages might even be useful again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazlofski View Post
    Agreed, I am kinda tired of the endgame to be honest... Fatigued so it's really nice to just level an alt, not for the aim of max level content but just have fun of the adventure, be a noob again doing silly quests and just level and enjoy the story/zones.

I do wish mobs would at least do more damage, adding abilities to them and smart AI (as they are working on it for BfA) will take loads of work to implement across the whole game, I imagine the scale of work as revamping the world again like in Cata.

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    I like where the health pools are at with mobs now, especially in dungeons. Bosses actually survive long enough for them to use their mechanics 2-3 times.

I would like to see them dish out more damage though, I still feel as though healers have an easy time which could be made more challenging if the Tanks took more damage, and standing in fire was more punishing. While leveling, more damage from mobs might actually make it worthwhile to carry food around. Hell, bandages might even be useful again.
    Right? I'm hoping that the scaling and hp increase are just the beginnings of something more substantial. I hope the new AI they're working on for the treasure island things will find it's way in to the world enemies. That would really reinvent the leveling experience in WoW. Unfortunately though, I think people would complain and Blizzard would cave again. Only time will tell.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why should leveling take longer? It only serves as a gate to the actual game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Why should leveling take longer? It only serves as a gate to the actual game.
    If the enemies were stronger and more intelligent. If first aid was useful again. If you had to worry about your gear and play smart while leveling, the actual game wouldn't just be lfr and raids once a week; it would start at level 1 and continue on for as long as you desire.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the enemies were stronger and more intelligent. If first aid was useful again. If you had to worry about your gear and play smart while leveling, the actual game wouldn't just be lfr and raids once a week; it would start at level 1 and continue on for as long as you desire.
    The game is more then raids but ok @_@
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    The game is more then raids but ok @_@
    There is Brawler's Guild if you like solo play, and PvP as well if you want to play with others. PvP is pretty garbage right now though and has been for a while, but that's a whole other thread and I don't think there are many PvPers on these forums to have a real discussion with about it.

I suggest you wait for this thing they are calling classic wow. Its supposed to be coming soon™.

Right? I'm hoping that the scaling and hp increase are just the beginnings of something more substantial. I hope the new AI they're working on for the treasure island things will find it's way in to the world enemies. That would really reinvent the leveling experience in WoW. Unfortunately though, I think people would complain and Blizzard would cave again. Only time will tell.
    It would be beyond idiotic to place smart AI designed to challenge experienced veterans into any zone where new players can reasonably be expected to be leveling in.
    Last edited by Cows For Life; 2018-01-19 at 06:23 PM.

7+ Year Old Account

that sounds like a neat premise. intelligent AI creatures would be fun as hell. sadly i think that would be a whole different game. id play it tho ....in VR!
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, even in Vanilla, leveling was just a hurdle to get past in order to get to the actual game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    No, even in Vanilla, leveling was just a hurdle to get past in order to get to the actual game.
    Don't you think that's your perception and not necessarily a fact? I played in 2004 too and I didn't even consider raiding at the time. I was too busy with everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    It would be beyond idiotic to place smart AI designed to challenge experienced veterans into any zone where new players can reasonably be expected to be leveling in.
    They couldn't scale down the enemy IQ from the more challenging enemies on the islands and find a middle ground between that and the braindead AI they have now?

@Transmigration, you do understand that while it may not be difficult for you, it's quite difficult for many people, right? There's enough threads on official forums where people complain that they get utterly destroyed by mobs, that they have to pop CDs if they pull more than 3 mobs.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Don't you think that's your perception and not necessarily a fact? I played in 2004 too and I didn't even consider raiding at the time. I was too busy with everything else.

- - - Updated - - -

They couldn't scale down the enemy IQ from the more challenging enemies on the islands and find a middle ground between that and the braindead AI they have now?
    You've got some hang up on raiding. There was a lot more to do than Raid in Vanilla WoW. Dungeons were actually engaging. Leveling was just a hindrance. It became even more so in expansions or on alts once you actually knew what the real game was.

There is Brawler's Guild if you like solo play, and PvP as well if you want to play with others. PvP is pretty garbage right now though and has been for a while, but that's a whole other thread and I don't think there are many PvPers on these forums to have a real discussion with about it.
    And that’s still not all the game has to offer at max u got mythic +s, wqs, pet battles that now have dungeons for themselves

Agreed so much!
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

I agree with you OP, the balance is hard, I've always enjoyed leveling in WoW though, and the changes only make it better IMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from FFXI where you could barely solo a rabbit
    Unfortunately, no longer true. A real shame.

I find people that want difficult leveling funny AF. Same people that complained about Cataclysm revamp, now wants to see the entire story while leveling. It's the same people that want to experience the story, complain about LFR being a story mode. Same people that will leave if a group wipes to a boss.