Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The entire concept of wanting to put like-minded people in the same district is fundamentally anti-democratic.

Electoral maps should look more like this (Southern Ontario, but anywhere in Canada, really); http://www.redecoupage-federal-redis...ernOntario.jpg

The lines are drawn by independent comission, each riding intended to be roughly equal in population. As you can see, they tend to be boxy, not serpentine. Gerrymandering is almost nonexistent in Canada.
    California is also done by a California Citizens Redistricting Commission. The member consists of 3 Democrats, 3 Republicans, and 2 Independents. Arizona is also done by an independent commission.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    And SCOTUS just overturned this ruling 7-2, so the districts stay as is.

I love the American judicial system, think it’s the best in the world. But, we need some kind of recourse for federal judges who consistently get it wrong. Particularly in the 9th circuit who is overturned on controversial rulings far more often than it’s validated.

And it was 7-2, so in before “GOP stole our SCOTUS seat!” Only a wise anglo can truly understand the constitution.
    They didn't overturn the ruling; they delayed the order because they're hearing two similar cases this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    But, we need some kind of recourse for federal judges who consistently get it wrong.
    What about recourse for MMO posters who don't understand the judicial system?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    They didn't overturn the ruling; they delayed the order because they're hearing two similar cases this year.
    Two similar cases?

Man, it's almost as if we have a chronic problem with apportionment....
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

And all of those who advocated the EC should anoint Hillary because of California.
    Out of nowhere, a wild Hilllary Clinton reference appears!

What...does she, or California, have to do with this topic? >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    How many of you think DACA was legal but Trump’s removal of it isn’t? What do you recommend we do?
    Well...I'm not in the camp that thinks this is a legal question in the way you posted. I think it's more of an ethical question around deporting people who were brought here as children to a country a large number of them have no memory of most likely.

Interesting deflection though. Wasn't expecting that to be your response (although I wasn't expecting one at all really).

10+ Year Old Account
    And all of those who advocated the EC should anoint Hillary because of California.
    How weird that people think that a country that considers itself one that follows democratic principles would advocate that the person who gets the most votes should win.

Or, to put it in your weird rhetorical language -- "And all of those who advocated that the EC should anoint Trump because of land mass."

Quote Originally Posted by faithbane View Post
    that map is hilarious lol
    I suppose the before was below it. That really is a knee slapper!

Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    Constitution. Not land mass. I like the idea we’re a Republic. You do too, otherwise there wouldn’t be states threatening to prosecute law enforcement who assist the feds.
    And in this case, the constitution is wrong. Political systems need to be evaluated on their effectiveness and merits rather than 'tradition'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Constitution. Not land mass. I like the idea we’re a Republic. You do too, otherwise there wouldn’t be states threatening to prosecute law enforcement who assist the feds.
    I don't know if you saw it back when this topic was hot on these forums but my desired solution is to mandate that the states each allocate their EC votes proportionally. That's still constitutional but remove this winner take all utter nonsense. It benefits red voters in California as well as blue voters in Alabama. Everyone wins because everyone's vote counts. It also makes it a teeny bit easier for third (and beyond) parties to gain traction.

People who want to change the rules to get their party elected.

He said apportionment. Do you know what it means? Do you get the reference?
    Gerrymandering can often times be illegal, and has been a persistent legal battle between Democrats and Republicans for years and years.

But I'm glad you got an excuse to dig up the "BUT HILLARY" and "BUT CALIFORNIA" bogeymen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I advocate each state do that too. For the very reasons you mentioned.
    Well how about that. We agree on something! That calls for a toast! *raises a glass*

And SCOTUS just overturned this ruling 7-2, so the districts stay as is.

I love the American judicial system, think it’s the best in the world. But, we need some kind of recourse for federal judges who consistently get it wrong. Particularly in the 9th circuit who is overturned on controversial rulings far more often than it’s validated.

And it was 7-2, so in before “GOP stole our SCOTUS seat!” Only a wise anglo can truly understand the constitution.

Damn is reading that hard for some people?
    Have you even looked at some of these maps? I mean holy crap how can any sane person think they are fair and legal? And this is not just republican districts mind you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Except unless they issue a decision on those cases really quick, that means the current fucked districts will remain in place for the elections in November.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Why does the right hate democracy so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    It gets in the way of them being in charge.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

This does look really weird unless some of these districts like the 12th are like following some river I've never heard of or some rift in the Appalachian mountains. Seems like a good call because this map looks ridiculous. And cheching a topographical map there is no indication that this should be like this. (Topo Map)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    This does look really weird unless some of these districts like the 12th are like following some river I've never heard of or some rift in the Appalachian mountains. Seems like a good call because this map looks ridiculous. And cheching a topographical map there is no indication that this should be like this. (Topo Map)

This is the current map (yours is from a few years ago):

The North Carolina 12th district has always looked funny. It was designed (and maintained until Republicans took control in 2010) in the 90's by a Democrat legislature to create a majority-minority district, not specifically as a recent gerrymander. (The "geographical feature" it used to follow is Interstate-85. During some elections, part of the district was literally the width of I-85.)
    Last edited by Sargerasraider; 2018-01-20 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Authoritarians want you under their boot, not beside them.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Except unless they issue a decision on those cases really quick, that means the current fucked districts will remain in place for the elections in November.
    Gerrymandering will probably be resolved by 2020 but it is going to take a lot longer than that.