Poll: Girls making the first move:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    In general, I see no reason why they shouldn't. This is something that has been coming up since Sadie Hawkins Day in the 30s.

In Li'l Abner, Sadie Hawkins was the daughter of one of Dogpatch's earliest settlers, Hekzebiah Hawkins. The "homeliest gal in all them hills," she grew frantic waiting for suitors. When she reached the age of 35, still a spinster, her father was worried about Sadie living at home for the rest of her life. In desperation, he called together all the unmarried men of Dogpatch and declared it "Sadie Hawkins Day". A foot race was decreed, with Sadie pursuing the town's eligible bachelors. She was specifically interested in a handsome boy named Adam who was already in a courtship with a cute girl, Theresa, whose father was the area's largest potato farmer, Bill Richmand, and, unlike Sadie, had a number of courtship offers. Adam was invited to the race because Miss Theresa and Adam weren't actually engaged. With matrimony as the consequence of losing the foot race, the bachelors of the town were running for their freedom. Adam scored fourth place out of 10, leaving John Jonston as Sadie's prize. It is possible that the concept's origins are in an inversion of the myth of Atalanta, who, reluctant to marry, agreed to wed whoever could outrun her in a footrace.

"When ah fires [my gun], all o' yo' kin start a-runnin! When ah fires agin—- after givin' yo' a fair start—- Sadie starts a runnin'. Th' one she ketches'll be her husbin."

The town spinsters decided that this was a good idea, so they made Sadie Hawkins Day a mandatory yearly event, much to the chagrin of Dogpatch's bachelors. If a woman caught a bachelor and dragged him, kicking and screaming, across the finish line before sundown, by law he had to marry her.

Sadie Hawkins Day was first mentioned in the November 15, 1937 Li'l Abner daily comic strip, with the race actually being depicted between November 19 and November 30. It would prove to be an annual feature of Li'l Abner. (see Schreiner, Dave; "Sadie's First Run", Li'l Abner Dailies Volume 3: 1937, Kitchen Sink Press, Princeton, WI, p. 8.)
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadie_Hawkins_Day

I'm going to go so far as to say that this should be part of the fallout from MeToo though. The flip side of sexual harassment is sexual passivity, that's part of a particular, outdated set of "rules" that needs change on both sides.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that making the first move is not a gendered thing- or shouldn't be. If you have an interest, say so. Clearly.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank God Im not in today's dating scene.

I'd bite my nails into bone worrying about offending someone or if I'm even picking up on the right gender

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post

I'd bite my nails into bone worrying about offending someone or if I'm even picking up on the right gender
    Tumblr is not representative of the real world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
    Wrong. Women like feeling valued by their man.
    Owned and valued is not the same thing. Pretty sure men rather be valued by the person they love too wth? Who am i kidding of course you wouldnt know that, its Tennis.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2018-01-20 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post

if you brush their shoulder or ask for a number, its the same as rape too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispraise View Post
    A lot of girls don't take it well, and react quite negatively.

Obviously, a lot of guys don't handle rejection well either. This goes both ways.
    I'd guess it's common for people who have built their ego around the assumption of themselves being extraordinarily charming in one way or another, and who have gotten used to easily having what they want. For a narcissist rejection is a personal insult.

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally find it very attractive of a woman when they make the first move. Only had 1 person make the first move with me and I just couldn't say no.

It would make alot of introverted males very happy if they did.

They should! IT would cut down on the frivolous "sexual harassment" claims when all a guy does is compliment a woman and ask her out.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    Sure, but unless guys collectively stop doing that women have no need to do so.
    if women really want equality maybe they should take some initiative. Instead of waiting for other people to do things for them.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

They do. Guys and girls both do and both should.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you, as always.

So, here where I live (and in a lot of other places), men are supposed to make the "first move" when trying to approach someone (a girl, in this case). Usually girls wait for the guy to come to them, even if they're also interested in that guy.

My question is: Do you think women should make the first move as well? Or should they keep waiting for the guy?
    In today's social climate with all the "sexual harassment" claims, or "cat-calling", or offending.

I would say now is more of a time than any other for women to make the first move.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    if women really want equality maybe they should take some initiative. Instead of waiting for other people to do things for them.
    We do plenty for ourselves, thanks.

Waiting for the shit like herbivore men to get more mainstream attention in the west. Can't wait to see why men not wanting to put up with this shit anymore is somehow men's fault.

But yeah, first move should be for whoever's interested. And no..... stupid hints that no one understands (except the person giving them) do not count

People should do what they want?

All women don't universally wait and all men don't universally ask.

Zzzzz generalisations.

Its a trick question because they already do.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it would be great if women were less passive.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Women generally want to feel wanted, so when a guy approaches them, they "feel wanted".
    Are you living under a rock? That is no longer true. Hell, according to a lot of feminists (perhaps feminazis would fit better here), it never was true. Supposedly, they feel "threatened". "Afraid". "Pressured".

Granted, that only applies to the current, young generation, that looks for a problem in a simple "You look nice". Women over 30, that actually have some brain, are still normal, luckily.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Hello champions, good to see you, as always.

So, here where I live (and in a lot of other places), men are supposed to make the "first move" when trying to approach someone (a girl, in this case). Usually girls wait for the guy to come to them, even if they're also interested in that guy.

My question is: Do you think women should make the first move as well? Or should they keep waiting for the guy?
    No, men are put off when women do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I wouldn’t. I’m a prize to be won.
    And modest to boot.

In other news, you're going to see a lot more men sit back and wait, given the current climate of things.