Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    super weird, started rewatching them myself a week or so back while running Transmogs on WoW, Still enjoy it !

I loved Buffy and still do. Musical and Hush were like EPIC!! and even the bad episodes were still good. It's like Supernatural in that way. Angel on the other hand just seemed to try too hard and tried to be too edgy. I tried to watch SEAL TEAM that started this fall and it's way to much like Angel. Forever Knight is a good detective/Vampire show if you're looking for one.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    It's like Supernatural in that way.
    Supernatural is far superior to buffy & angel... sure its had a few bad seasons (6?) but overall, it has way more better stuff
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Supernatural is far superior to buffy & angel... sure its had a few bad seasons (6?) but overall, it has way more better stuff
    Was 6 the Leviathans?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Was 6 the Leviathans?
    season 7 is the leviathans. Season 6 is that odd one where Sam is losing his shit as the "wall" inside his head comes down after being lucifers meat suit and cas eats all the souls and becomes stronger than god
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2018-01-20 at 05:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post
    I watched both Series and meh, I liked both, but they are over, I feel that way about Matlock though that show is awesome.
    Do I want to ask how old you are?

The episode themes are all pretty much timeless. Guy getting friend zoned, girl wants to be in the "in crowd", bad boys and on and on.

I gave up watching when Spiked showed up for some reason, maybe I'll pick it up again.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

IMO, the first season was okay once it got over its teething problems at the start. Second and third seasons are the best. I thought season four was okay though it lagged in the middle, and season five was so-so. Season six was downright depressing, though it came to a decent enough conclusion. The less said about season seven the better.

I barely remember Angel season 1, just that it was pretty lame. But it slowly improved until it was almost on Buffy's level. Was always a bit wobbly though.

Regardless of overall season quality, I think all of them had at least a few episodes that were good. And of course the characters and the writing was always the strong point.

Early Buffy is classic Whedon, that show really took TV by storm in the late 90s. I'm strongly attached to it, but I also think his later TV work particularly on Firefly (which everyone knows) and Dollhouse (which is criminally underrated) was some of his most interesting. Worth a rewatch of those when you're done, if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I barely remember Angel season 1, just that it was pretty lame. But it slowly improved until it was almost on Buffy's level. Was always a bit wobbly though.
    Angel season 1 is very monster of the week stuff so it's not that great, but I never really liked the Angel mythology bits so I actually prefer it to the later seasons. When I re-watch I only watch seasons 1 and 5. I like 5 since it's a lot more lighthearted, closer to the season 1 tone. And I can't stand Connor, but I just looked it up and see he doesn't show up until season 3 for the first time so maybe I'll watch season 2 next time.

I have the same problem with Buffy and Dawn that I do with Connor so I always try to skip as much of those parts too. I usually make it to about halfway into season 5 of Buffy on a re-watch before I give up.

I liked Buffy 1-3, 4 was eh and 5+ just went downhill from there. There were good bits, but usually ruined by some other element. Always liked Spike, then he decides he needs to be a rapist, sure. Dawn's plot was just bad, never really saw the appeal. Many episodes were about strong women, but then they also had to take it too far and make sure to put down men instead. Poor Xander was just a punching bag after a while. The Willow/ Tara stuff was okay, but going a bit too Witchy and DarkWillow was just bleh, imo.

Whedon does a lot of quality stuff, but he's also got a lot of other people with him. I've seen a lot of loyalty to him, but since it's always hit or miss it's hard to say that Whedon wrote X or Y. For all I know he could have been the guy behind the worst parts!

My mom was a huge fan, so I bought her the DVD's years ago. When she passed I took them but haven't watched them, maybe this summer when I get bored.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

One of the best lol scenes in the series

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The episode themes are all pretty much timeless. Guy getting friend zoned, girl wants to be in the "in crowd", bad boys and on and on.

I gave up watching when Spiked showed up for some reason, maybe I'll pick it up again.
    imo spike was the best part of the whole show. Even Angel (the tv show) got better once spike showed up in the final season.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    imo spike was the best part of the whole show. Even Angel (the tv show) got better once spike showed up in the final season.
    i hated the whole spike with a soul storyline because it primarily detracted from what made Angels character special.
    Hi

I've always wanted to get into Supernatural but I caught a few episodes and never got hooked. Is it better to not start off at the beginning, or is a certain season a good starting point once the show caught it's stride?

For instance I started watching Buffy around season 3, as a friend suggested I may enjoy just jumping in and catching up later, which is what I did. I think that was sage advice as I'm not patient for waiting for a series to get its stride (less so then, I barely give shows 4 episodes now).

I know many consider Hush the best episode of buffy, but I enjoy the musical more? Usually when I get a desire to rewatch buffy i'll watch the musical, hush, and a bit of season 2 and then end up doing something else.

i hated the whole spike with a soul storyline because it primarily detracted from what made Angels character special.
    But it proves that Spike was a better character in all respects. Isn’t that awesome?

Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    yeah I kind of got annoyed with willow and Tara being lesbians shoved down my throat every episode. But I do a good job just ignoring that part and enjoying the series.
    The only thing that was forced about that was how their relationship seemed to come out of nowhere at all. Like one day they were just "ok! I'm a lesbian now!" and then they never even kissed.

It was just strange.

Also it was kind of a smack in the face to bisexuals that they were robbed of a hero in Willow that could have straight up been "Look, I like boys and girls but society expects monogamy and when I settle down they'll either put me into a box of heterosexual that 'experimented' in college or lesbian."

Anyway, OP, let me know when you'll need a mood stabilizer after mainlining them. They get so unrelentingly dark by the end that it was a chore to finish the series of either.

I remember liking it back in the day.
    But I was a emo goth kid.

Vampires were cool and buffy was kinda hot?
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2018-01-21 at 02:50 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstream View Post
    But it proves that Spike was a better character in all respects. Isn’t that awesome?
    sorry i'm Team Angel. spike was fun, but i enjoyed Angel way more.

i think the writers were just trying to capitalise on spike.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    One of the best lol scenes in the series
    Definitely one of the best episodes.

And also Spike's.

TVTropes' article "Badass Decay" was originally called "Spikeification" back when the site was mostly about Buffy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Don't get me wrong, I like supernatural. The first 5 seasons were great but they still were worse for me than Buffy. The character development, the story lines, the humor&drama (don't really care about the fighting scenes in either show, apart from some exceptions) was just better in Buffy.
    Supernatural after season 5 was downhill and nowadays I just watch it cause whatever, Im used to it. Buffy Season 7 was still miles better than Supernatural S6 and ongoing.