Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Problems with Leveling Dungeons that haven't been Discussed

So my preference for leveling is dungeon grinding and there are 2 issues I'm currently having that are really effecting my leveling experience in a negative way. I have read every WoW forum for the past few days and haven't seen anyone mention these issues, so here it goes:

1 - When you random que there is an extreme lack of a dungeon progress. Most of the time I'm getting dungeons that are way below my level and it's so frustrating because I've already done those dungeons many times already.

I'm level 25 right now and my ques have been:
    RFC, RFC, WC, SFK, WC, BFD, RFC, WC, RFC.

On my level 71 monk (leveled up from 67 since patch) my ques have been:
    Nexus, Oculus, Utgarde Keep, Nexus, HoL, DTK, Utgarde Keep, Old Kingdom, Nexus

Now my point here is, as you leveled before you would progress through the dungeons 1 by 1 and you wouldn't have to do those dungeons anymore after you leveled past them. This system felt like you were actually progressing through the game and definitely made the experience more refreshing when entering a dungeon you haven't been in yet (on that character). As it stands, I get no feeling of progress as I level and I am so fucking sick of doing the early bracket dungeons you have no idea.

2 - You can no longer avoid dungeons that you hate. Before the patch whenever I got to violet hold, durnholde or culling of stratholme I could specific que for the next couple levels to avoid them. But since the dungeon levels have been merged, you always have the chance to get a dungeon that you hate no matter what. If they increased the mob xp massively then you could just specific que and level at a decent pace but this is not the case right now.

That was the original leveling experience. Not sure what you want. You could always just get all the quests for X dungeon, direct queue for X dungeon, get all the quests for Y dungeon, direct queue for Y dungeon etc

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is there some hidden super bonus for random queue? Cause my game says 16k bonus xp at level 70, doesn't seem much.

I can specific queue like 30 dungeons, to do the quests for each instead if I wanted to.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I queue for specific dungeons and only do them once each for the quests. The random bonus just isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teri View Post
    Is there some hidden super bonus for random queue? Cause my game says 16k bonus xp at level 70, doesn't seem much.

I can specific queue like 30 dungeons, to do the quests for each instead if I wanted to.
    The bonus comes from time spent waiting as opposed to time spent in dungeon.
    Queuing for specific dungeons generally takes longer than queuing for Randos. Means you're running less dungeons per hour.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Queuing for specific dungeons generally takes longer than queuing for Randos. Means you're running less dungeons per hour.
    But you can still get XP between queues (pet battle/quests/kills), and not get duplicate dungeons at all. This patch made it even easier that you don't have to move zones if you gained levels via those dungeons.

But you can still get XP between queues (pet battle/quests/kills), and not get duplicate dungeons at all.
    Sure you can do that but, at least before the recent leveling change, Dungeon running was one of the best ways to level...as long as you could keep stringing runs together.

Full disclosure: I haven't leveled a character in the new system so I have no idea if dungeon grinding is still as efficient.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    I queue for specific dungeons and only do them once each for the quests. The random bonus just isn't worth it.
    Ditto. Been doing it this way for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    That was the original leveling experience. Not sure what you want. You could always just get all the quests for X dungeon, direct queue for X dungeon, get all the quests for Y dungeon, direct queue for Y dungeon etc

Like I said, my preferred leveling style is dungeon grinding; I don't just run dungeons to complete the quests, they are my entire means of leveling to max. I just want an improved system to what existed pre patch, but currently the leveling system has improved with scaling and gotten worse with the dungeon level merge. This, along with the xp changes have seriously reduced my enjoyment of a patch that I was really looking forward to.

Deleted
    Dungeon leveling is not the best way to level anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, but I suspect that they want you to not level just through dungeons but to also get out in the world

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I don't know, but I suspect that they want you to not level just through dungeons but to also get out in the world
    This.

/10char
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

I think you have a legitimate point here. As through scaling instances stay 'relevant' for much longer, e.g. RFC all the way up to 60 whereas before you wouln't get that past 20(?), you would lose that 'smoother' sense of progression curve through the dungeons.
    I'm assuming that if you are/were leveling exclusively through instances you are probably most often tank/healer specked, and so you would not benefit much from the advantages of the now in theory larger potential matching pool.
    A system that biases dungeons according to your closest (pre-scaling) matching level would be an improvement that would as far as I can see not have many downsides.

Source? Not in my experience. I check specific queue for the ones I haven't done and make sure the ones I don't want anymore are unchecked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    Like I said, my preferred leveling style is dungeon grinding; I don't just run dungeons to complete the quests, they are my entire means of leveling to max. I just want an improved system to what existed pre patch, but currently the leveling system has improved with scaling and gotten worse with the dungeon level merge. This, along with the xp changes have seriously reduced my enjoyment of a patch that I was really looking forward to.
    Sounds like a personal problem that has no real fix.

It takes a bit longer, but since you never outlevel anymore, it's much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thats all well and good but why also make it take longer on top of that and nerf heirlooms?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywire5714 View Post
    I don't mean this to sound rude (no, really, I don't) but creating a specific expectation in your head that caters to you is just setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post
    Thats all well and good but why also make it take longer on top of that and nerf heirlooms?
    To put a reasoning to leveling. Now the speed is settled with planning. You can level and do profession without problems. Heirloom stats are only nerfed, not the gain. You have to sacrifice a little to gain bonus XP. I like this new system.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malix Farwin View Post
    Heirlooms are still viable. They're just no longer 'you're dumb if you don't use these' levels of better than everything else.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Well the problem is even if you had instant queue, the time spent in the dungeon is less efficient than questing.