Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Yeah keys are a good one. I expect everything to just be in your phone at some point. No wallet, no keys, just a phone.

- - - Updated - - -

Terrifyingly, theres a higher chance they will be the only thing that remain.
    I STILL wonder why people are so against a subdermal implant to help with stuff like acting as a key or replacing credit cards when an easily lost or stolen phone is already doing it AND tracks you(the biggest issue i hear from people is being tracked)

Deleted
    MMO-Champion.

Laptops. I see them less and less in the workday and there is quickly coming the day when a computer is something that is entirely in your hand.

Cable TV needs to go.

I wouldn't be sad if super markets were phased out as well.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Laptops. I see them less and less in the workday and there is quickly coming the day when a computer is something that is entirely in your hand.
    I've always considered IT folks who don't need a laptop (or desktop) to be the same ones that don't actually do much aside from attend meetings and take credit for what others have compiled (ie, the folks who actually still need lap or desktops).

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I've always considered IT folks who don't need a laptop (or desktop) to be the same ones that don't actually do much aside from attend meetings and take credit for what others have compiled (ie, the folks who actually still need lap or desktops).
    I don't work in IT but my husband and sister do somewhat. My husband works from home and has a desktop that is used for work/gaming/internet/programming/movies/everything. He doesn't necessarily need a laptop (he doesn't even own one really) when he is in the field. He just takes his phone. Most what he and his team work with is web based. My sister seems to largely do the same- though she doesn't work from home.

The few times I been to our IT department at my workplace, there are merely stations/kiosks setup in various corners. No one really has a specific desk, per se. 99% of our stuff is web and cloud based. A lot of my coworkers don't even have desktop printing capability- it's almost 100% print-to-cloud or sharepoint driven.

Rarely do I see laptops in meetings or have clients pull out a laptop. It's all phones I see.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Our DBA uses a Surface Pro exclusively. He has a desktop he RDPs into (because we don't have a proper VPN to access network shares from outside the office...don't get me started) to put in his hours for billing, but that's it. His preferred input method is the surface pen with handwriting recognition.

I can remote to my work desktop from my phone via Chrome Remote Desktop, and from there, out to any of my end users. If we had a decent terminal server, I could just park my domain user on one of those sessions, and have no need for an actual computer of my own. Its a little weird working in PowerShell with a touch keyboard, but not the strangest thing I have experienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I sure hope not. Especially gaming laptops - since I travel and work and play and travel and work and play......
    Gaming might just be the holdout. Although I play as much on my phone and tablet as my PC these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    Physical media discs, landlines, cable TV..... There are things that are already gone or very quickly going out lol. Who the hell uses any of these still? OK I can imagine a bunch of people still have cable TV because they haven't bothered changing, but I doubt many people install cable TV in a new home over here, it's all IP-TV and internet streaming these days. Landlines are completely dead, I haven't seen one outside of an office in over a decade. Physical media discs are dying a rapid and welcome death as well, personally I haven't had anything that could play a media disc in the last 5 years and it's the same situation among friends and family as well.

As for something that we really use every day right now that we won't do in 10 years? That's harder but I'm gonna take an educated guess at corded phone chargers.

Still use physical media and i don't see it going anywhere. Couple reasons why.

1. Price - I can buy a digital copy for 15.99 (usually more) or I can get a BluRay w/the digital copy for 17.99.

2. Digital Services, like Itunes, Vudu etc will remove things from your library w/out your knowledge. The only reason I have caught em is I run a spread sheet for all my movies.

3. Streaming isn't really that great in respect to visual quality, they is a noticeable difference when streaming HD, vs watching it on a BluRay. The same applies to audio but to a lesser degree.

4. The Death of Net Neutrality is going to make streaming things even more costly or difficult.

Back in the early 90s they were selling something similar to a DVD. Can't remember what it was called had its own player and everything. The catch was when you bought a movie (20 bucks) they would charge you like 50 or something every time you watched it. If anyone remembers what this was and the details please share.

Also if physical media is going away why in the hell would Netflix release there original content to physical media?
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You are not going to not see laptops in 10 years. I agree with your points however in the sense, they will become less common as time goes on. But even 10 years from now, they will still have a purpose for some.

- - - Updated - - -

Gaming might just be the holdout. Although I play as much on my phone and tablet as my PC these days.
    The screens are far too small for myself to ever have interest in gaming on a phone. Plus some games, require a much faster processor and graphic cards than a phone can provide.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see the opposite. I see more and more laptops/surface books everyday. I don't think we have even ordered desktop computers for anyone except the production floor. With how easy it is to get high-speed internet anywhere I see more and more people working from home/remote. While I think you're right these laptops/tablets/handhelds seem like they are getting smaller and lighter, I think at least in the business world the computer with a keyboard is here to stay for the time being.

I'm on board with Physical Media going away... or at least the idea that Blue-Ray will be the last of the "individual media" sources.

I myself have started going "minimalist" in my life and have noticed others are too, and I'm already gunning towards creating a backup library with all my favorite shows/music/movies on there. a one-stop-shop that I will never have to replace ever again (sans maybe upgrading the hard drive itself). I'll most likely just add to the data collection rather than purchasing individual media (unless I REALLY want to support those people, of which I could find other means to do so).

I definitely don't see Supermarkets going away... unless you're the type who only purchases pre-prepared foodstuffs in packages you microwave. Some of us still cook (and given the propensity for its popularity, that's not going away anytime soon) and I refuse to let somebody else choose what cut of meat or pick of what fruit I get. :P

Honestly, the other thing I can see going (or at least starting to show signs of going) is possibly the home PC. Tablets are stupidly powerful these days and the only reason to have any beefed up computer is simply for gaming purposes. I'm thinking we may see a change/specialization in the PC market where home computing/laptops get converted down into Tablets and fully-built PC's just begin bleeding and morphing into a Home Console style market - with all the PC stuff designed for designing of games/movies/ect all becoming a behind-the-scenes business market once again.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2018-01-23 at 04:17 AM.

The word racist, the word has lost all meaning.

7+ Year Old Account
    Privacy.
    And if I tug my tinfoil hat a bit tighter; Freedom/Free will in the sense that we are being dictated what to think by social media, forums like this etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    They won’t be gone just machines will be serving instead of people. I already saw one in my city where computer was doing check out. What might be gone is CD disc and CD players. Not sure though.
    This is wrong. Most stores and even fast food restaurants could be automated... like literally right now. Today. The reason they are not, is because having human beings to interact with is more appealing than interacting with an interface/machine.

If you had the option of going to a store with people, or going to a store with no people, which would you choose to use? I'd almost certainly go with the former myself, especially if that store served food.

On topic, finding something that we literally use every day and won't still use every day in 10 years (That isn't merely upgraded to something similar but better, like a video game console to the next generation or blu-ray disks to Ultra HD disks [sp? sorry, still using blu-rays here.]) is actually very difficult. The only reason we'd stop using something is if we no longer needed it because something better at serving that purpose appeared.

In order to know that we wouldn't still use something like that in 10 years, we'd have to know something is in development and suspect it would be wildly successful. And frankly, off the top of my head, I can't think of too many things like that.

I can think of plenty of things some people might use everyday or some things people use frequently, but so useful that it's used every single day by virtually everyone, and it will be completely gone in 10 years? Not much.

I'm tagging this thread, and I'm going to think about a good answer for this.

The earlier reply about people going in person to purchase food and clothing has it right.

You can automate many things, you can use robots to stock warehouses and shelves, you can make many things self service...

But when someone wants to cook they're going to go to a supermarket or a farmer's market and make selections based on appearance, smell, and other less obvious factors. And if you somehow fail to understand why that is true then you are one of the frankly far too many people nowadays that doesn't know how to cook.

I can tell you that it does not improve my opinion of the intelligence of the people on this forum that many of you seem to think everyone just eats pizza or burgers all day long and wears clothes entirely off the rack. That's fucking ridiculous.

Amazon Go just opened today. Does that count as a supermarket? I suspect those will be around for quite some time. That same dude recently bought Whole Foods, I guess he's just flushing money down the drain.

I am shockingly self-reliant to a certain extent. So yeah, I can cook, grow vegetables and herbs, landscape a property, rebuild a car engine, remodel a home, sew clothing, curtains and bed linens, etc. Even the tools I use to do these various things I tend to buy in person. In my day being able to do all of those things wasn't really considered exceptional, I think it was considered normal.

I know some bright spot is going to chime in with how he hires someone to do the cheap manual labor I would seem to prefer to do myself. The upshot of that comment will be that said person values their own time too highly to do that shit themselves. My reply is simply you get what you pay for. I find that the best quality work in almost any category is work I have done myself, esp it needs to be done right.

Nothing like listening to rich people complain about all their problems with the help: the plumber, the contractor, the roofer, gardener, etc.

I use my laptop every day in college to take notes, work on projects, etc etc among a ton of other various tasks. Cell phones will never be able to provide that same level of efficiency or usable interface for me. For the record, I never use my laptop for gaming. I've used it for gaming once in the past 3 years or so. (I have a high end desktop for that purpose.) I never use my cell phone for gaming, either, for that matter, but that's beside the point.

Just because you do not use one yourself, does not mean they are useless. Most people don't use a calculator for every day tasks either, but that sure has hell doesn't mean they are useless. I am just saying.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Gas cars. You’ll still see them but new ones won’t be purchasible
    Wishful thinking. There is a 0% chance of this happening in 10 years. Gas cars will no longer be used when gas is no longer available. We don't even really look for ways to make gas more efficient, and you think oil companies are going to allow this? Good one.

Desktops/laptops. We’re slowing inching to the era of augmented reality.
    See my above post.

Mega retailers (Wal Mart, Target). They likely won’t survive the Amazon age.
    Target I could see going out of business. Wal-mart... not a chance. Walmart will abuse the system and do everything humanly possible to stay afloat, and moreso it's quite successful at serving its intended purpose. I can't imagine them going out of business in a decade, or starting to go downhill in that time. (I'd love to see it happen, but that's beside the point.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'm on board with Physical Media going away... or at least the idea that Blue-Ray will be the last of the "individual media" sources.
    I don't see physical media going away in a decade. Maybe eventually it will be completely phased out, but it won't be in a decade. Not a chance. I do foresee blu-rays being phased out and replaced with 4K Ultra HD disks, but CDs would still be, in a sense, used as media. And even then, Blu-rays would still exist... I'd argue that DvDs will phase out entirely by then, however.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    This is wrong. Most stores and even fast food restaurants could be automated... like literally right now. Today. The reason they are not, is because having human beings to interact with is more appealing than interacting with an interface/machine.
    Actually this is about to change fairly quickly. Younger generations actually don't like dealing with other people, and I have some sympathy with their position. You are about to see a lot of automation in restaurants: from chefs, line cooks, wait staff, etc.

About a year ago it came to my attention that some restaurants already allow you to use a terminal at the table to place your order and to pay for it as well. The wait staff is sort of there just to bring the food out once its prepared, maybe check on you from time to time.

A kiosk at the front could direct you to an open table or give you estimate of the wait. Servers can readily be replaced with robots. Chefs etc are apparently absolutely on the way out.

Nobody is saying that a machine can create a menu, but they can readily be programmed to perform every step of food cooking, construction, presentation and service to the table.

I would say this will happen for mid-level restaurants on down. Maybe the highest levels of dining will still be staffed by human beings.

Then again, perhaps not.

Personally, I am not throwing away my two sets of carbon steel knives just yet if ever.