Page 16 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I blame Dems for this shutdown. Trump isnt going to budge on what his supporters want. It's up to the Dems to come up with a deal that has all of what Trump wants and some things they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    You have been deceived.

The wall is going to be built no matter what the Democrats do. Trump is trying to rub it in and trying to leverage more in the negotiations knowing the Democrats will decline initially.

It is part of a negotiation ploy.
    Hope the democrats show some spine then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    I blame Dems for this shutdown. Trump isnt going to budge on what his supporters want. It's up to the Dems to come up with a deal that has all of what Trump wants and some things they want.
    That is not how democracy works.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Yea saving health insurance for over 20,000,000 Americans sure was time wasted
    I guess he also forgot how unpopular Trumpcare was. Letalone how horribly bad that bill would be for the majority.

Okay so while CNN is a pretty dubious news source, it says in that article that there wasn't enough to 'fix our porous borders' which implies no wall. While the majority of the blame is going to fall (fairly, IMO) on Republicans, I can't help but be mad at Democrats too. I don't quite understand what their hardon is for DACA and helping people who will likely never be able to vote for them. I'd rather see them help people who can vote for them but they probably will already get all those votes so there's no incentive to help actual Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBowman View Post
    too true, a lot of Loyal Trump supporters are Extremists.
    not a lot, all of them are.

Deleted
    US need to cut many everywhere, there is nothing more important than THE WALL!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Locruid View Post
    Sweet under you logic, I should break into your house with a 8 yr old then demand you pay for his upbringing I mean he should live there now right?.....O and make sure your couch is comfy so I can sleep on it
    In what world is that an argument?
    Do you let people starve on your doorstep too as you stomp on them every day you go out?
    Who does b&e with a kid in tow? I think his parents have a thing or two to say on the matter.
    If you consider yourself a dog you can sleep in the yard. We're people and discussing people. Not animals.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    Okay so while CNN is a pretty dubious news source, it says in that article that there wasn't enough to 'fix our porous borders' which implies no wall. While the majority of the blame is going to fall (fairly, IMO) on Republicans, I can't help but be mad at Democrats too. I don't quite understand what their hardon is for DACA and helping people who will likely never be able to vote for them. I'd rather see them help people who can vote for them but they probably will already get all those votes so there's no incentive to help actual Americans.
    The Dems agreed to fund a down payment on the borderwall on top of increasing security. Trump wanted the layout and full funding for the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    That's not how democracy works and congressmen from both parties have expressed that negotiations are impossible with a president who doesn't keep his word on what he's even willing to sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    The Dems agreed to fund a down payment on the borderwall on top of increasing security. Trump wanted the layout and full funding for the wall.

- - - Updated - - -

That's not how democracy works and congressmen from both parties have expressed that negotiations are impossible with a president who doesn't keep his word on what he's even willing to sign.
    So Trump expressed something one thing he clearly wanted and didn't get that one thing he clearly wanted so he didn't sign it? That's what I'm getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    They will not get paid if it extends beyond Feb. 28th. They get paid Feb 1st. And if they do miss a paycheck, they will get it back. Civilian federal workers are paid every other week. So they may miss a pay check. But will also get what they missed back. For many, it is a paid vacation.
    I'm aware, I've been in for 3 different shut downs. You get your best cheque, but after that it becomes a crap shoot of what emergency funds were allocated and if your payroll was included.
    Luckily these things never last that long or emergency budgets are made to pay personnel who don't have the choice to not work.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wished when the government is shut down, that the representatives and senators wouldn't get paid. Then we would see how long the government shuts down for and when. Because it would never at that point

Quote Originally Posted by Oogzy View Post
    Hasn't this become a semi common occurrence in the USA at this point? Didn't the government "shut down" during Obama's presidency as well?
    It happens almost every year, it's nothing new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    US need to cut many everywhere, there is nothing more important than THE WALL!
    For the companies building it, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by therayeffect View Post
    So Trump expressed something one thing he clearly wanted and didn't get that one thing he clearly wanted so he didn't sign it? That's what I'm getting.
    The Democrats had agreed for the down payment. The wall is pointless, ineffective, expensive, and a waste of tax payer dollars, but they agreed to the down payment for it. Republicans agreed and both parties were set to get what they want.

Trump also agreed to sign said bipartisan deal if it were brought to him.

Now, both parties have stated that it's impossible to negotiate because of that. Dems aren't going to budge when they could plaster their name to some compromise that doesn't even get accepted at the last minute and the GOP can't even get their own people on the same boat, much less bring Dems to the table, because their own president could throw everything out.
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    Truthfully both sides are to blame. I am glad that Trump didn't cave though.

Watching Paul Ryan speak live at the moment about gratitude to public employees is disorienting. I'm not going to go dig for 2013 quotes from him, but I can't imagine that a word he's saying is remotely consistent with what he expressed then.

The fact is the democrat party is shutting down the government. They are shutting down the government for 800k illegal aliens. The expiration of DACA has nothing to do with this CR. I don't blame them they need to continue to replace middle America with a permanent underclass. Having abandoned the white middle class for a coalition of minorities. The plan is California, if they can turn Texas and Florida using the same principles the republican party can never win the presidency.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    It certainly is how a democratic Republican works, particularly one with the Presidential veto structure the United States. When you're the minority party, especially if you don't hold the Presidency, you're not negotiating from a position of strength - you have to give something to get something.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It certainly is how a democratic Republican works, particularly one with the Presidential veto structure the United States. When you're the minority party, especially if you don't hold the Presidency, you're not negotiating from a position of strength - you have to give something to get something.
    The problem here is that the GOP could pass whatever they want without needing any Democrat votes but they're infighting over the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Vatrilian View Post
    The fact is the democrat party is shutting down the government. They are shutting down the government for 800k illegal aliens. The expiration of DACA has nothing to do with this CR. I don't blame them they need to continue to replace middle America with a permanent underclass. Having abandoned the white middle class for a coalition of minorities. The plan is California, if they can turn Texas and Florida using the same principles the republican party can never win the presidency.
    The fight is the DACA versus the wall and even Republican congressmen aren't on Trump's side.