Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    I was talking about worgen there ;P

But who knows if void elves are fertile or not, or what the hell they would spawn, considering just how charged up with void they are.
    I would go with female's stomach bursting open releasing larvas who eat their mother and then enter cocoon. Would fit void elves quite a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ren-dorei View Post

Strong mentality alone is not enough. You also need extensive training and the aid of a being who is experienced and knowledgeable in the field of the Void. Umbric and his followers might have had a strong and hardy mentality, but they would have given into the whispers nonetheless, had it not been for Alleria, who spent centuries studying how to control the Void under the eternal Locus-Walker. And Alleria herself would have fallen prey to the whispers had the Locus-Walker not taken interest in her efforts. So many questons... they are a testament to the Void Elves' complexity.
    Yup, you also need to be a special snowflake like alleria.

7+ Year Old Account
    -SNIP-
    Darkspear did manage to start one before their first island sunk. Nowadays they live on a small island, so not sure how they pulled off all those casualties as of late '.' And yeah, I agree with the oxford one, but it would need enough people. Having like.. 20 people starting a civilization sound awfully weird.

I'll admit, I didn't know about that tweet, so that could be right. But then again, during an interview (wish I knew where it was), Metzen also said "Sylvanas will face retribution." and that was yeeears ago. Still waiting for that to happen.

And I won't say it's a curse, no - but more of a mutation. It's still a pretty bad condition to be in if you ask me. x_x

And right, thanks for answering that, since I have another question to follow up on that. Given how the Void can taint, spread and corrupt, it's obvious there will be traces of void if there was to be a child - even if it's little. But that little can still cause a lot of problem. So question is: IF Void Elves can have children... How is a child, no scratch that, a newborn BABY supposed to resist those whispers? It wouldn't be their parents who they first listen to and learn from, it would be the whispers. Even if the Void Elves could have children, their offsprings would be doomed from the very start.

And yeah, I agree with the oxford one, but it would need enough people. Having like.. 20 people starting a civilization sound awfully weird.
    I mean, i would argue that the idea of a giant Titan egg developing inside the planet we live on is an even more weird concept than that... but i'm digressing.

And right, thanks for answering that, since I have another question to follow up on that. Given how the Void can taint, spread and corrupt, it's obvious there will be traces of void if there was to be a child - even if it's little. But that little can still cause a lot of problem. So question is: IF Void Elves can have children... How is a child, no scratch that, a newborn BABY supposed to resist those whispers? It wouldn't be their parents who they first listen to and learn from, it would be the whispers. Even if the Void Elves could have children, their offsprings would be doomed from the very start.
    I don't know the answer to that question... it's the reason why i made this thread in the first place. I admit that i don't know literally -everything- about the Void Elves. They are such a complex race that such a feat is virtually impossible!
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean, i would argue that the idea of a giant Titan egg developing inside the planet we live on is an even more weird concept than that... but i'm digressing.

I don't know the answer to that question... it's the reason why i made this thread in the first place. I admit that i don't know literally -everything- about the Void Elves. They are such a complex race that such a feat is virtually impossible!
    Eh, I think I can live with that conclusion. Void Elves can have children but it's probably a really really bad idea to the child (who is doomed to be born insane or as a monster, or both) and to those around them.

...Sssstill better than having more Windrunner half-elves.

Bloodsail Admiral CreatureLives's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    The forsaken equivalent are actually the worgen.
    Worgen isn't really a race though and not something they've chosen to be. They still consider themselves Human. I'd consider a Worgen more like a Death Knight than anything even though the Death Knight is presented as a class and Worgen is presented as a race. Most Death Knights didn't choose what happened to them either and a Orc DK for example is still a Orc. Also, Worgen can also be Night Elves. To me a Worgen is basically a transformation/class rather than a race. Much like how several races can be a Druid and turn in to animals or even some Mages being able to turn in to birds or Shamans to Wolves.

I know the same could be said for the Forsaken, Lightforged Draenei, Blood Elves and Void Elves but they are choosing to live as other races. They see themselves as something different. A Worgen still sees themselves as Humans from Gilneas.

For gameplay reasons a Worgen is a race but lore wise they aren't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    This is not the impression you get from watching the racial intro from the PTR:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneirophobia View Post
    When was it shown they didn't want to become void elves? That isn't the impression I got from their banter/their intro at all.
    Saying "the Void changed us" is a fact, as well saying that all of them need to master their new powers. But the quest chain leading to the creation of Void Elves clearly shown how Umbric merely desired to master the Void, the same way mages master the Arcane and warlocks the Fel. He was a Magister, after all. The Void transformation was forced on them, Alleria stopped the process before it would have led Umbric's followers to complete madness.

Oh, also the Darkspear Trolls. They were described as the smallest and weakest of the Troll tribes, yet they still created a civilization of their own, didn't they?
    "Smallest" doesn't necessarily mean "small". You have to judge the source of the comparison. And Trolls as a whole seem to be numerous as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you would have a crack-baby, a void addicted child as the child hasn't given itself to the void like the parents.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    That’s fine, but you don’t get a woe is us vibe from it. It seems like they accept it, and go with it.

I.e, I don’t get a victims mentality from the cut scene.
    Well, technically they wanted to master the Void and there's no escape from such condition, so I guess their acceptance it's somewhat logical.

Fact remains that such wasn't a willing choice and, for that reason, I don't see how anyone would want to turn into something like that willingly.
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.

7+ Year Old Account
    That’s fine, but you don’t get a woe is us vibe from it. It seems like they accept it, and go with it.

I.e, I don’t get a victims mentality from the cut scene.
    Kinda the same as Forsaken, though. No one who is living wants to be a forsaken, but once they become one, they just... deal with it.

Edit: Quoted wrong person at first, sorry. </3

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Kinda the same as Forsaken, though. No one who is living wants to be a forsaken, but once they become one, they just... deal with it.

"Oh... I'm undead now. Guess i'll follow sylvanas and kill people I used to hang out with 5 minutes ago"
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    While it is true for the forsaken, i wouldn't be so sure in case of void elves. Who knows what horrors can rapid and uncontrolled mutation brings ?
    Sweet Morghur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy the Lemming View Post
    Oh so that's how it is!

- - - Updated - - -

True, and it kinda depends on your outlook. There are pros and cons with almost everything. Being undead, or void infused included.

Forsaken have some strengths that the living don’t, and some weaknesses that the living don’t. Same with Void, or Light infused (light forged) it’s all in how you deal with it, and frame it, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I think in retrospect, if this happened to me, it would depend on if the negatives outnumber the “positives” you get.

Radiation poisoning, in RL is never a “good” thing. You don’t get super powers like the Hulk. But with WoW, and the elves, they seem to get some strengths that “normal” people don’t. So maybe at the start it would seem like a “I need to accept this”... but long term? Who knows... it may be a trade off choice. You have more probability of going insane/“evil”, but if you can master it, you are stronger for it.

At least that is how my character will look at their situation.
    Well, I could easily see certain individuals who would look at the Void Elf condition and ponder if the pros may be worth the cons. But just like the example of the Forsaken, we may assume the vast majority of people wouldn't be thrilled by the idea, too scared of the unknown or simply not motivated enough to endure such a drastic change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting thought regarding the sanity of the child... We always imagine whispers that tell us things to drive us mad... but babies wouldn't be able to understand them. Even if the void showed them images, they wouldn't be able to comprehend them. Not to mention that their memory doesn't last long enough to go insane.
    By the time they are old enough to understand the whispers, they are old enough to start being trained by their parents to ward against their madness and control.

I do believe that being a ren'dorei is hereditary, since the Worgen curse has to be as well. The worgen curse is passed by the blood. If the worgen curse, mana addiction, and fel green skin is passed onto children, then the void is almost certainly passed on too.

But, here's an additional thought: as more generations of ren'dorei grow up, they will become more and more resistant to the void's whispers though natural selection and evolution. Children going insane wouldn't even be a worry for them in a couple generations, as they can't even hear the whispers anymore.
    A simple change that can improve the female worgen:
    http://tinypic.com/r/1zq7p0g/7

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    "Oh... I'm undead now. Guess i'll follow sylvanas and kill people I used to hang out with 5 minutes ago"
    Yeah, I never will understand the mentality of the people of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Oh so that's how it is!
    I'M SORRY MR TROLL! ;_:

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshata View Post
    Interesting thought regarding the sanity of the child... We always imagine whispers that tell us things to drive us mad... but babies wouldn't be able to understand them. Even if the void showed them images, they wouldn't be able to comprehend them. Not to mention that their memory doesn't last long enough to go insane.
    By the time they are old enough to understand the whispers, they are old enough to start being trained by their parents to ward against their madness and control.

I do believe that being a ren'dorei is hereditary, since the Worgen curse has to be as well. The worgen curse is passed by the blood. If the worgen curse, mana addiction, and fel green skin is passed onto children, then the void is almost certainly passed on too.

But, here's an additional thought: as more generations of ren'dorei grow up, they will become more and more resistant to the void's whispers though natural selection and evolution. Children going insane wouldn't even be a worry for them in a couple generations, as they can't even hear the whispers anymore.
    Uuh, here's the problem with children... they will believe in -anything-. The void can still cloud their minds and give them images. By the time they learn to understand their parents who teach them how to talk, they have already been taught by the constant whispers in their minds.

And hey, here's another common thing: Monsters in the closet! They keep thinking there's something there, parents show repeatedly there's nothing there, but they keep believing it. The whispers are going to be with the children constantly, a lot more than the parents can. It's like their "invisible friend" they wonder, why no one else can see them.
    Last edited by Sigxy; 2018-01-20 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakshata View Post
    This post is based entirely on the idea that eldritch gods cannot influence the mind of a child because it doesnt understand english yet.

Let that sink in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    This post is based entirely on the idea that eldritch gods cannot influence the mind of a child because it doesnt understand english yet.

Let that sink in.
    "Yesss, give in to power, embrace the void"
    "Que? Me no abla americano signor !"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post

Let that sink in.
    No, I think it referes to the emotional blandness and lack of complex thought a child is characterized by.

That said, I'm yet not sure a child may just shrug eldritch horrific images off because of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I think it referes to the emotional blandness and lack of complex thought a child is characterized by.

That said, I'm yet not sure a child may just shrug eldritch horrific images off because of that.
    What if old gods gugu that child into madness ?

Well, technically they wanted to master the Void and there's no escape from such condition, so I guess their acceptance it's somewhat logical.

Fact remains that such wasn't a willing choice and, for that reason, I don't see how anyone would want to turn into something like that willingly.
    Depends on how strong they turn out to be.

If they can be like Alleria and void rift to distant worlds, and empower themselves greatly, I can see it being something to consider.

7+ Year Old Account
    It seems that the void uses the person's own memories to drive them crazy... a child would not have enough "information" in their mind to use against them. So I agree with you. I think a child is too innocent to corrupt/drive insane. But as they grow older, they will need to be taught to ignore/observe the whispers without taking them personally. From the Racial abilities of the Void Elves, it seems they probably do that via meditation of some kind.
    I'm pretty sure the void can grant 'visions' and mess someone's point of view up. They could very well make the child see their own parents and people as horrible beings. Or they can scar them for life with horrible images (Remember how kids are afraid of trees outside windows during the night because they look like monsters? Yeah. It's super easy.)

And when they grow up, the void has already whispered to be 'best buddies' with the void elf's "invisible friend" and, well.. I'm sure there have been enough movies out there to show some psycho children doing horrible stuff...!