Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    High wages? Are you serious? Are you being serious right now. High. Do you KNOW how much it fucking costs to keep a roof over your head in most states right now? If I had a min. wage job right now where I live, I'd probably be in an apartment with 3 other people, or living under a bridge. Wages are fucking insultingly low. This idea of raising min. wage to $15 an hour is probably still lower than it should be, since wages have more or less stagnated over the past decade while cost of living kept climbing.
    Minimum wage jobs are for teenagers who live with their parents not parents supporting their teens.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arewn View Post
    Don't know how people can stare ever increasing cost of living in the face and not understand that stagnant wages need to eventually catch up.
    They make enough to live, so they don't give a damn about other people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    They make enough to live, so they don't give a damn about other people.
    If you're talking about millionaires and beyond there's a few out there that advocate helping out the lower income brackets because it helps everyone flourish. If you're talking about the other people they're the same people who in the how many hours do you work thread have admitted to having to work 50+ hours to pay the bills despite doing everything they expect others in lower paying jobs to do. If I said it once I've said it a million times -- maybe just maybe there's a whole lot of underpaid people out there of all skill levels.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Employees should stop being such spineless rats.

Get violent with your employers if they try do stuff like this, trash the store, close it down.

Enough is enough.
    Trashing someones business is spineless and ratty. But i dont think youd know anythign about having a backbone and selfrespect.

How about people grow a spine and quit? If in mass you wouldnt take jobs with low wages the employers would have to rise wages to lure you to work the register... You have wages at which people agree to work at. Im sorry that people are cretins but they are. If there were no minimum wage laws theyd work for less than they can afford to buy food for...

Build a business, offer higher wages if possible to hire more people who make you more money. If it wont be possible to pay them more youl know why wages are low...
    Last edited by mmoc539e82d918; 2018-01-20 at 11:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    If you're talking about millionaires and beyond there's a few out there that advocate helping out the lower income brackets because it helps everyone flourish. If you're talking about the other people they're the same people who in the how many hours do you work thread have admitted to having to work 50+ hours to pay the bills despite doing everything they expect others in lower paying jobs to do. If I said it once I've said it a million times -- maybe just maybe there's a whole lot of underpaid people out there of all skill levels.
    I'm really talking about anyone who says lowers end workers basically don't deserve any kind of pay increase.

For fuck sake this isn't about luxury...it's about constantly rising prices...but those kind of people who can live comfortably and don't care about people who can't live so easy probably don't even notice rising prices as long as they're sitting pretty.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If everyone was earning more and executive types less, the population on average would have more buying power and it would actually improve economies and infrastructure. Larger incomes on average means more taxes being paid means more money going into the infrastructure work like roads and hospitals. Imagine if the average individual income was around 100k, rather than 34k which is what Ontario minimum wage will pay you in 2019 and the number of people employed making minimum wage is significant. Those people would work harder, your customers would have more money to spend for better quality products rather than the utter shit that Tim Horton's sells. Honestly, for what they charge for food, it's pretty god damn bad, if I am going to spend $13 for a lunch, there are tons of places I could go with better food for the same money or less. Even if two parents were working the same wages, they'd have a lot more money to spend on all the things that drive our economy. I'll tell you what, I make 40k a year living in Ontario and I have a job that requires specialized skills that most people off the street don't have and even the average college grad wouldn't just be able to walk in and do the things that I have learned. Living on 40k a year, even a couple with two incomes at that rate won't get you much for a mortgage unless you have a 50k downpayment and good luck saving that up when you are spending over a grand a month on rent plus utilities in a city like Toronto for what amounts to a hole in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I guess this is the kind of thing that makes you boycott a place

- - - Updated - - -

Teenagers should go to school, not work minimum wage jobs. Many of those jobs are full time jobs, how can a teenager going to school commit to that? Same with college students, they can only work part time and there are entire blocks of time that both these groups are going to be unavailable so some people post-education will have to work on them. This talking point is absolutely asinine.
    I'm not sure what minimum wage jobs you are referring to, but most that I have seen are part time. I've worked minimum wage jobs when I was in school, they are very flexible with students. Obviously there are cases where staff are needed during school hours, but there's no shortage of drop kick pot head young adults with no ambition who excel at shitty tasks such as flipping burgers and toasting bagels. Working the till at McDonald's shouldn't be a career choice for the average person, but if it is, it's not McDonald's responsibility to make sure you earn enough money to buy a house,car,support a family.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's properly organized exactly nobody will get arrested or convicted. These things happen plenty where unions are stronger. Besides, the fight for worker right has to happen with some sacrifices and some men wanting to take risks.
    Ah so your the proverbial Al Capone of crime and capable of organizing vandalism on businesses that wrong you now? Fascinating.

I'll be sure to quote that when you (like every other criminal who thought he'd get away with an illegal act) wind up facing serious jail time for committing illegal acts. You think your clever, but you were foolish enough to speak about it on the internet under a flawed belief that you somehow could not be tracked if the need arose. Please feel free to continue to think such foolish notions so we can reduce the ignorance in the voting populace.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumble View Post
    Minimum wage jobs are for teenagers who live with their parents not parents supporting their teens.
    lol.

if this ever ends up being fact, there will be a shortage of workers in min wage jobs of 30-40%.

Since when is a job not a job?

You are basically saying, well hell they are teenagers so its ok to underpay them while making 20-30-40% profit margins

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    I'm really talking about anyone who says lowers end workers basically don't deserve any kind of pay increase.

For fuck sake this isn't about luxury...it's about constantly rising prices...but those kind of people who can live comfortably and don't care about people who can't live so easy probably don't even notice rising prices as long as they're sitting pretty.
    They realize prices are increasing and they admit they need to work 50+ hours to be able to handle those rising prices. However, many of them did all the right things and went to school, got a degree, and picked up what they believe is a good-paying job (usually in the $18-$20 an hour range). Then the Fight For $15 and other pushes by low end workers with union support sprouted up and suddenly they realized that they might just be underpaid because they did everything they were told to do to get a good job, and are now about to have the wages raised for those under them. Instead of fighting with those low end workers for the betterment of everyone they choose to hold them under as the flood waters rise. For them it's easier to work 50...then 60...then 70 hours per week to keep with those rising costs instead of admitting that they're just as underpaid as the low end workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    -snip for space-
    There's a reason I have often pitched Coach Cleaner jobs on this site. Much to the detriment of a few Conservative posters. I find it insane that a majority of skilled jobs like yours is paid less than someone cleaning out commuter train cars. People should be making more money especially in a time where corporate profits are at an all time high and could easily off set the increases with small price increases to their services.
    Last edited by Captain N; 2018-01-20 at 11:43 PM.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    Ah so your the proverbial Al Capone of crime and capable of organizing vandalism on businesses that wrong you now? Fascinating.

I'll be sure to quote that when you (like every other criminal who thought he'd get away with an illegal act) wind up facing serious jail time for committing illegal acts. You think your clever, but you were foolish enough to speak about it on the internet under a flawed belief that you somehow could not be tracked if the need arose. Please feel free to continue to think such foolish notions so we can reduce the ignorance in the voting populace.
    At least the person could go down fighting for what they believed in. I bet you think a person like, oh lets say Rosa Parks, is just a criminal.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They realize prices are increasing and they admit they need to work 50+ hours to be able to handle those rising prices. However, many of them did all the right things and went to school, got a degree, and picked up what they believe is a good-paying job (usually in the $18-$20 an hour range). Then the Fight For $15 and other pushes by low end workers with union support sprouted up and suddenly they realized that they might just be underpaid because they did everything they were told to do to get a good job, and are now about to have the wages raised for those under them. Instead of fighting with those low end workers for the betterment of everyone they choose to hold them under as the flood waters rise. For them it's easier to work 50...then 60...then 70 hours per week to keep with those rising costs instead of admitting that they're just as underpaid as the low end workers.

There's a reason I have often pitched Coach Cleaner jobs on this site. Much to the detriment of a few Conservative posters. I find it insane that a majority of skilled jobs like yours is paid less than someone cleaning out commuter train cars. People should be making more money especially in a time where corporate profits are at an all time high and could easily off set the increases with small price increases to their services.
    I guess the problem is that my employer, well, our CEO goes around telling people that her company pays middle class wages, which is a lie, people making in that 80k+ range are all working 6 days a week mandatory. The only people making middle class wages are in upper management, blue collar guys like me and other trades people, are pretty far off the mark. I work with machinists whose top rate peaked at $28 CAD and hasn't seen an increase until this year and it took 8 years. Market rate is $36 an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    High wages? Are you serious? Are you being serious right now. High. Do you KNOW how much it fucking costs to keep a roof over your head in most states right now? If I had a min. wage job right now where I live, I'd probably be in an apartment with 3 other people, or living under a bridge. Wages are fucking insultingly low. This idea of raising min. wage to $15 an hour is probably still lower than it should be, since wages have more or less stagnated over the past decade while cost of living kept climbing.
    This isn't an attempt to engage with what I wrote. On the bright side, it's another good example of what I'm referring to when I say that people are commenting purely based on gut feeling without caring at all about economics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I guess the problem is that my employer, well, our CEO goes around telling people that her company pays middle class wages, which is a lie, people making in that 80k+ range are all working 6 days a week mandatory. The only people making middle class wages are in upper management, blue collar guys like me and other trades people, are pretty far off the mark. I work with machinists whose top rate peaked at $28 CAD and hasn't seen an increase until this year and it took 8 years. Market rate is $36 an hour.
    Your CEO isn't the only one who does stuff like that. It's probably led to the belief that is held by a majority of people who protest wage increases or UBI implementation. People actually believe that $40,000/hour is middle class, a lie unless you have someone else earning at least $20,000 in the household as well. As for wage increases for trade jobs it can be a chore to fight for better wages without union representation. Especially when you have folks like your CEO telling people they're already making proper wages, and you likely have co-workers who believe it.

Oh God. Is a min wage job going to cut back on hours or employee benefits?! If only there were a million more minimum wage jobs out there they could go to instead.

Employees should stop being such spineless rats.

Get violent with your employers if they try do stuff like this, trash the store, close it down.

Enough is enough.
    Or, you know, just don't engage in the voluntary transaction that is employment if the terms aren't something you actually find to be something you'd sign up for.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    makes me think of my last job. Big wholesale store, when it opened there were loads of us there, full team and able to handle the rush. a couple people left but their roles were filled in. Then the minimum wage rise happened in the uk, and the owner of the store chain figured he'd just make sure stores don't hire as many workers, to make up for his loses, putting more pressure on those employed to do double the work, no overtime pay (just standard), and just making most of the stores into a very difficult place to work at.

Glad I left.
    Business' being incapable of treating their employees well while also paying them well is a cardinal capitalist sin.
    There is absolutely no basis for individual rights to firearms or self defense under any contextual interpretation of the second amendment of the United States Constitution. It defines clearly a militia of which is regulated of the people and arms, for the expressed purpose of protection of the free state. Unwillingness to take in even the most basic and whole context of these laws is exactly the road to anarchy.

If wages go up then the companies have to adjust in some way so they continue to make the same profit each year. It's not hard to understand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    If wages go up then the companies have to adjust in some way so they continue to make the same profit each year. It's not hard to understand.
    Exactly.

It is far more important that executives and management are able to continue living in gated communities, separated from those pesky poor people, it is more important that they are able to go on holidays to expensive resorts, buy cars they will never make use of and acquire vast stores of capital they will never be able to spend than it is for the workers, the source of their income, to be able to have a dry place to sleep and food for their children.

Horton hear's a Who ?