New PC build questions

Hi all,
    Been outta the "game" for awhile (no, not WoW, just the game of building a computer).

I also know that now is a terrible time to build with prices / availability of certain items limited. But here goes.

What I think I want:

Case: A "bling" case that has FRONT (not top or side) USB and button access (need help here please)

CPU: i7 8700k (easy pick)

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15? Or some water cooled NZXT one? Will the Noctua take away the bling from the look?

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX1070 ti <<<availability / high price, very limited right now, but wiling to wait to find it.

Memory: which 3200 do I buy????

Mobo: I want a ASUS ROG Strix 370-e, but is the Gigabyte Gaming 7 the better one?

I will be buy a Dell monitor for gsync at 144

I want a blue-hued look when done. =)

TIA for any help! =)

PS: long time lurker, but my last forum for questions like this dried up long ago and it this seems like a good place.

Tell us on what stats screen(1080k? 2k? 4k?) you will be playing, it's a crucial thing that most people forget.
    Also what you plan on doing with the machine, just play WoW? Newer games? video editing?
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2018-01-21 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TK Doom View Post
    Hi all,
    Been outta the "game" for awhile (no, not WoW, just the game of building a computer).

I also know that now is a terrible time to build with prices / availability of certain items limited. But here goes.

What I think I want:

Case: A "bling" case that has FRONT (not top or side) USB and button access (need help here please)

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15? Or some water cooled NZXT one? Will the Noctua take away the bling from the look?

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX1070 ti <<<availability / high price, very limited right now, but wiling to wait to find it.

Mobo: I want a ASUS ROG Strix 370-e, but is the Gigabyte Gaming 7 the better one?

TIA for any help! =)

PS: long time lurker, but my last forum for questions like this dried up long ago and it this seems like a good place.

When it comes to PC building a lot of it is opinion so I'll add mine.

For case I love my corsair 540. I love the cube shape and there is so much room inside. It is the coolest case I've ever had as well from a heat standpoint. Being able to hide the power supply and cables on one side of the case closed off from what people see is so nice too and it also keeps the cables out of the way of the cases air flow.

For cooling I have the Noctura that you list. I also have 5 140mm corsair AF fans. (There are better out there but this do the job) It is big and bulky but does a great job cooling. I was just monitoring my case/cpu temps yesterday and the highest I saw it get while playing stellaris/WoW was 58 C. That is pretty good under load. Sitting here typing this it is at 25 C. If you are all about looks then water cooled would probably look better, though you have the added risk of leaks.

MOBO: I love gigabyte. I will always use them. I currently have an older system using Z97x gaming 7. I have not had a single problem with it in four years since I built this. In fact, I have been using gigabyte motherboards for 15 years and have never had an issue with one. On the other hand, I have had nothing but problems with Asus laptops, motherboards, video cards, and anything else with that name on it. At this point I will never buy another Asus product.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Tell us on what stats screen(1080k? 2k? 4k?) you will be playing, it's a crucial thing that most people forget.
    Also what you plan on doing with the machine, just play WoW? Newer games? video editing?
    I think the system should be able to run 2k in the 90s for FPS? Mainly Overwatch and some WoW.

No video editing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    When it comes to PC building a lot of it is opinion so I'll add mine.

For case I love my corsair 540. I love the cube shape and there is so much room inside. It is the coolest case I've ever had as well from a heat standpoint. Being able to hide the power supply and cables on one side of the case closed off from what people see is so nice too and it also keeps the cables out of the way of the cases air flow.

For cooling I have the Noctura that you list. I also have 5 140mm corsair AF fans. (There are better out there but this do the job) It is big and bulky but does a great job cooling. I was just monitoring my case/cpu temps yesterday and the highest I saw it get while playing stellaris/WoW was 58 C. That is pretty good under load. Sitting here typing this it is at 25 C. If you are all about looks then water cooled would probably look better, though you have the added risk of leaks.

MOBO: I love gigabyte. I will always use them. I currently have an older system using Z97x gaming 7. I have not had a single problem with it in four years since I built this. In fact, I have been using gigabyte motherboards for 15 years and have never had an issue with one. On the other hand, I have had nothing but problems with Asus laptops, motherboards, video cards, and anything else with that name on it. At this point I will never buy another Asus product.
    Thanks, I can appreciate the whole brand boycott if you have problems, I do that as well. =) I don't like the look of the Corsair..I know its in the BotM but my desk bottom area is setup for a tower, not a square. =)

I would also have more fans for the case than just the CPU as well. Are you cooling an 8700k with your Noctua?

Hi all,

What I think I want:

TIA for any help! =)

The Z370 Gigabyte Gaming 7 is one of the best Z370 boards you can get. It is better then the Asus strix boards. It uses some of the best VRM's you can get.

The Z370 Gigabyte Gaming 7 and the asrock taichi z370 are the best Z370 boards you can get if you look at performance, Features and VRM's

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all,

What I think I want:

Phanteks Enthoo-Pro

Yes the Noctua will ruin the bling look. Go for NZXT Kraken x62 or Corsair H100i/H110i

If you go for the Gigabyte board, then go for the GeForce® GTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8GB Then you only need one Software to controll your mobo and GFX card and you just need one program to controll the LED lightning

Memory: which 3200 do I buy???? Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, G.skill, patriot. They are all good, so if you are going for the bling effect, then take the look you like the most

All depends on your budget. But if you can, then go for a IPS panel

TIA for any help! =)

Looking at the price of the 1070 ti cards right now, i think you will be able to find a gtx 1080 card for the same price.
    Here in Denmark right now, the Gigabyte GTX 1070 ti cost the same as the GTX 1080 G1 gaming card i ordered this week
    Last edited by pansertjald; 2018-01-21 at 02:08 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Thanks, considering the availability and price of the GTX 1070ti, I'll have to build around that. Since I can't find a board to save my life! I'm not cheap, but I'm not paying $700 right now...LOL.

That Gaming 7 board is nice though, and thanks for the info about the software lighting. As it is at least 2 will be need due to the corsair fan lighting.

can't post a link until I have enough posts. =(

ht tps: //pcpartpicker.com/list/DzBgd6

Thanks, considering the availability and price of the GTX 1070ti, I'll have to build around that. Since I can't find a board to save my life! I'm not cheap, but I'm not paying $700 right now...LOL.

That Gaming 7 board is nice though, and thanks for the info about the software lighting. As it is at least 2 will be need due to the corsair fan lighting.

can't post a link until I have enough posts. =(

ht tps: //pcpartpicker.com/list/DzBgd6
    Here in germany you can get with luck a 1060-1080 in a bigger electronic market for a "normal price".
    Maybe go to the next bestbuy and look for 1080 if they dont overcharge there too.