Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Yes. Well I think you meant "You can't HELP one group without screwing the other two."
    Actually Torto's comment in the quote sounds like how i feel conservative politics often work out ("You can't screw one group without screwing the other two")

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by broods View Post
    Dear customers. Due to the new minimum wage increase we at Tim Horton has decided to raise prices 15% across the board in order to stay in business and not having to cut benefits from our dear employees. We hope for your consideration and understanding and that you support the new minimum wage increase as we do at Tim Horton.
    This! 10/10

7+ Year Old Account
    I would kill for one of these, right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Yes. Well I think you meant "You can't HELP one group without screwing the other two."

Where we disagree is: you think that the company (Horton's in this case) is the side that is getting screwed over by the current agreement, while I think it is the employees where are getting screwed over. The phrase "screwed over" may be overstated - I am using your words.

To put it in my own words: changes to the current system need to put more money in the hands of the employees.
    Increasing the minimum wage is not helping the business, it is the government screwing them over. The workers get screwed over by loosing benefits, being given less hours or being made redundant. The customer gets screwed over by having to pay more. Remind me again, who is being helped here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I would kill for one of these, right now.
    They aren't that good anymore. They switched from in-store baking to baking them in centralized regional compounds and delivering them to the individual stores frozen, then just defrosting them at start of day.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    They aren't that good anymore. They switched from in-store baking to baking them in centralized regional compounds and delivering them to the individual stores frozen, then just defrosting them at start of day.
    Their quality may be bad, but the mention of Tim Hortons still makes me hungry for a donut!

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Y
    Min. wage increases improve quality of life for everyone in the lower class and lower-middle class which ends up meaning less crime and more purchasing power which leads to improvements in quality of life of the upper middle class and above.
    That isn't how it works though. Now I have been semi retired the past 12 years, I am only working now as I want a sports car in the spring (gets this mid life crisis rolling).

So lets say started a job at minimum wage say $7.75 I work at the place for 3 years and my pay is raised to $9.00. Then the new minimum wage kicks in at $9.00 bucks an hour. Does the employer then increase my pay by a $1.25, for the 3 years I already put in? Yes very few companies would do that however the majority will just continue to pay you the $9.00 per hour.

So by increasing the minimum wage they didn't raise anyone out of poverty, they just pulled me into it.

Also lets face it if you are a adult making minimum wage and not currently in school, you made some poor life choices.

Y
    If they're cutting hours then they were already poorly running the business by having people work unnecessary hours for demand that didn't exist. If that demand did exist and they cut hours then they hurt their own business because they're not able to meet demand and keep up quality work.
    Or in reality they just expect one employee to do the work of two.
    I am not pro Flight, I am pro a better more engaging game. I just took the pro flight stance cause I knew Blizzard couldn't deliver. Looks like I was right

“To stay in business” lol yes cause playing the employees a little bit more will run the billion dollars company dry.

If they're cutting hours then they were already poorly running the business by having people work unnecessary hours for demand that didn't exist. If that demand did exist and they cut hours then they hurt their own business because they're not able to meet demand and keep up quality work.
    I am not super familiar with U.S. work laws, so I may be wrong with this
    cutting hours does not -always- mean having 1 guy go from 40 to 30 hours.
    As far as I know, below 29hours the employees cost the company less, because above 29h something happens that increases the cost for the company. some benefits and insurance and things

So a company instead of having one guy working 40 hours, they can "cut hours" and have 2 guys working 20 hours each.
    There is still 40 work hours total, but it costs the company less, and the employees are screwed because below 29 hours they lose the things

really not sure though, but if it is like that, it would make sense for companies to resort to that if they see their cost rising

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    Well in the USA you can get fired for having a political opinion (mostly if you disagree with some SJW agenda), so I doubt something like this is illegal. I honestly find it a bit funny because the "wrong" political spectrum is doing it this time.
    That's a bit dishonest, a large part of America you can fire people for almost any reason, or even no reason, thanks to "at will" working laws. You can thank your screwed up labour laws for that, don't try and turn this into some 'wa wa the big bad SJWs' thing.

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    I am not super familiar with U.S. work laws, so I may be wrong with this
    cutting hours does not -always- mean having 1 guy go from 40 to 30 hours.
    As far as I know, below 29hours the employees cost the company less, because above 29h something happens that increases the cost for the company. some benefits and insurance and things

So a company instead of having one guy working 40 hours, they can "cut hours" and have 2 guys working 20 hours each.
    There is still 40 work hours total, but it costs the company less, and the employees are screwed because below 29 hours they lose the things

really not sure though, but if it is like that, it would make sense for companies to resort to that if they see their cost rising
    They already have an incentive to do that regardless of what the minimum wage is. If there is an incentive (as in the US, as you mentioned) to prefer part-time over full time (well, one that counteracts the existing incentives to have workers work more hours), then companies will already do that. If they use "a raise in the minimum wage" to cut people from full to part-time, then they were already operating inefficiently.

That was the point of the poster you quoted. If a company responds to a forced wage increase by cutting total hours or, as you suggest, by restructuring current hours to escape particular incentives, then that company was already wasting labor before the wage hike.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Because "overblown pay of rich fat cats" will not even come close to pay for it.
    A large company like that, has got to have an insane amount of surplus.

In the end, raising min wage impacts in a good way, even if it takes time. People get more money, and look at that, they will spend more. Amazing.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Your CEO isn't the only one who does stuff like that. It's probably led to the belief that is held by a majority of people who protest wage increases or UBI implementation. People actually believe that $40,000/hour is middle class, a lie unless you have someone else earning at least $20,000 in the household as well. As for wage increases for trade jobs it can be a chore to fight for better wages without union representation. Especially when you have folks like your CEO telling people they're already making proper wages, and you likely have co-workers who believe it.
    The only people dumb enough to believe that their $14.56 an hour wage is a living wage are the people fresh off the boat who are economic migrants and don't speak any English, and they are mainly button pressing monkeys with no actual skills. We'd need a union for trades and skilled workers to actually get fair wages, and it disgusts me when I see people posting that minimum wage workers should get union representation for better wages.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Yes and you can call a self balancing board a hoverboard....but a hoverboard already existed. Yes they co opted the name but liberalism is not extreme left like people want it to be.
    And country's politics hardly can be compared that easy. What is right in 1 country is left in a other.
    I dont think you get it, the people complaining here wasn't blaming 'liberals' they were Blaming The Liberal party - That's their name.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    High wages? Are you serious? Are you being serious right now. High. Do you KNOW how much it fucking costs to keep a roof over your head in most states right now?
    Read what was posted again:
    artificially high wages
    That's a pre-modifier altering the meaning of 'High'.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    I dont think you get it, the people complaining here wasn't blaming 'liberals' they were Blaming The Liberal party - That's their name.
    There is 1 time a > the < infront of liberals. Other then that for a outsider there is no indication that it is a party. This is a international forum so we do not know all your party's. And liberal is still a miss used term. That is used for everything right people do not like on the left. And used like some left people describe all the people on the right as right wing kkk's etc.

But back on topic. With your clarification added to the story. It still seems like a person who does not like the political climate using it as a excuse to protest over the backs of the employee's. And this:

"I encourage you to let her know how your workplace will change as a result of her new [minimum wage] law and that you will not vote Liberal in the coming Ontario election in June 2018,"
    Is insane. This is like putting a gun to some ones head and say vote this.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    “To stay in business” lol yes cause playing the employees a little bit more will run the billion dollars company dry.
    So a few caveats. It isn't corporate Tim Hortons that is saying the $15.00 minimum wage will bankrupt them, it is individual franchise owners, who may or may not have a case for that on their own.

That said, Tim Hortons is an interesting example of how stagnant wages have brought us to this position. When Tim Hortons opened its doors in 1964 the federal minimum wage was $1.25/hour and a large coffee was $0.10. So the frontline worker was paid 12.5 large cups of coffee per hour. Today a large cup of coffee is $1.99 at most Tims across the country. 12.5 large cups of coffee per hour is $24.86/hour. If $15.00/hour is going to bankrupt franchises, one has to ask where all the rest of that money goes. The sad part about this is the progressive side of the argument is undershooting the goal so hard. We should be talking about the fight for 25, not the fight for 15, because that is the scale of the damage 50 years of wage stagnation has done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    so what happened in Seattle?
    thought they were supposed to implode by now because of min wage increases??

Seattle/Bellevue/Everett

Dec 2017 / Nov 2017 / Dec 2016 / Nov 2016

Unemployment rate 3.8% 3.8% 3.7% 3.8%

Resident labor force 1,664,700 1,658,700 1,638,600 1,636,900

Unemployed 63,100 62,700 61,200 61,700

Now the excuse went from
    Lost jobs
    to
    held down employment.....

hahahaha

and prices, inflation, horror?

Consumer Price Index, Seattle area — December 2017

Area prices were up 0.5 percent over the past two months, up 3.5 percent from a year ago
    Over the last 12 months, the CPI-U rose 3.5 percent. (See chart 1 and table A.) Energy prices advanced 9.7 percent, largely the result of an increase in the price of gasoline. The index for all items less food and energy rose 3.2 percent over the year.

Over the year, food prices increased 2.6 percent.

Energy prices advanced 9.7 percent over the year

Last year it was 2.4%

so .9% difference.

Spend less?

GDP in the region is up 2.5%.....seems no one is spending less
    You can throw facts and numbers in front of conservatives all day and they'll just ignore it. They just want to spout their anti-worker bullshit so they can feel good about their mediocre $40k salary.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Time to unionize.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    A large company like that, has got to have an insane amount of surplus.
    This is almost exactly backwards - larger companies generally have lower profit margins and succeed via scale rather than having the sort of margins that boutique businesses have. Wal-Mart, for example, has a margin around ~3%.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The only people dumb enough to believe that their $14.56 an hour wage is a living wage are the people fresh off the boat who are economic migrants and don't speak any English, and they are mainly button pressing monkeys with no actual skills. We'd need a union for trades and skilled workers to actually get fair wages, and it disgusts me when I see people posting that minimum wage workers should get union representation for better wages.
    As I addressed earlier we have a rather large portion of people against wage increases who have admitted to having to work 50 or more hours a week in a job making around $45,000 or so a year who believe they're middle class. So it's not just monkeys pushing buttons but people who would rather see those under them suffer than actually admit that they themselves may also be getting short changed. As for the Union bit if we're to have an equal voice with our employers then union representation should be available no matter the job level. As a workforce we should all be standing together for the betterment of everyone instead of just our own field. I want that Kohl's cashier to make more money and be protected from weird things like At-Will Employment, wage caps, or going years without a decent raise while the price of living continues to rise.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)