Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    its not a totem.. totem is called earthen shield and it does a completely different thing really

also its not like priests are consistent

they've been hit with pruning as much as shamans
    My point was that a lot of stuff is gone, as you already said as well. I didn't want to argue about specific spells... Earth Shield is more or less still available in PvE, the same goes with the individual heals.

For me, i rolled priest in WoD and stuck with it. During Legion almost no change in playstyle for Holy, some minor changes for Disc. That is what bothered me with my shaman. Blizzard usually changes Shamans around a lot even during an Addon, so you have to adapt after every minor or major patch to the likings of Blizzard. And ofc current Shaman are no where near Classic/BC Shaman so i am kinda falling into the nostalgic love for shamans past and cannot identify with it anymore nowadays.

I main a warlock and can I say it was the worst thing that happened to my class?

They destroyed pretty much the three specs, demo feels awkward since alpha and they never went and fixed it, they admitted destro was a mistake and went and changed to to a somewhat MoP-like style destro but still bad and you have affliction that has absolutely nothing special compared to pre-WoD but is top spec because artifact ability scales too well.

They removed probably 90% of all utility spells warlocks had and put some back in talents or pvp talents. Now what differentiate a good warlock from a bad warlock is how lucky he gets with rng because all three specs are based on it. And in PvP, who had the best pocket heal because you won't do anything alone to save your ass.

Some people may not agree with me but for me Legion was the death of my warlock which I was playing since BC. I really tried to like demo because I love being able to summon hordes of demons except all I can summons are imps. Mained demo until ToS and changed midway for destro with affliction offspec (should've done the other way around) but the other 2 specs don't appeal me as much as they did in MoP and before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    I know Blizzard pruned a lot of abilities, but you still have the comma and period keys on your keyboard, don't you?

OT: I think the prune was necessary, since every expansion adds at least one new ability to each spec in the game, so it does reach a time of bloat. We would end up without room in our hotkey bars. (They might have pruned a tad too much, though...)
    well even if prune was necessary it still makes no sense how we ended with WAY less abilities than we once had

well even if prune was necessary it still makes no sense how we ended with WAY less abilities than we once had
    Because half of the old abilities were useless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by manoman View Post
    My point was that a lot of stuff is gone, as you already said as well. I didn't want to argue about specific spells... Earth Shield is more or less still available in PvE, the same goes with the individual heals.

For me, i rolled priest in WoD and stuck with it. During Legion almost no change in playstyle for Holy, some minor changes for Disc. That is what bothered me with my shaman. Blizzard usually changes Shamans around a lot even during an Addon, so you have to adapt after every minor or major patch to the likings of Blizzard. And ofc current Shaman are no where near Classic/BC Shaman so i am kinda falling into the nostalgic love for shamans past and cannot identify with it anymore nowadays.
    What? All healer specs are viable, are you upset because shaman aren't op? Lmao
    Sunwell shaman stacking died with wotlk prepatch.

Quote Originally Posted by arrez View Post

if you didnt use them doesnt mean they were useless..

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

What? All healer specs are viable, are you upset because shaman aren't op? Lmao
    Sunwell shaman stacking died with wotlk prepatch.
    hes not saying shamans arent viable.. hes saying that shamans are boring for him..

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they went too far with utility skills. I really loved spectral guise on my priest for instance.

if you didnt use them doesnt mean they were useless..

- - - Updated - - -

hes not saying shamans arent viable.. hes saying that shamans are boring for him..
    No, they were useless.
    Using searing pain for 2 fights in an entire expansion doesn't make it less useless, since other classes could do the same job anyway.

No, they were useless.
    Using searing pain for 2 fights in an entire expansion doesn't make it less useless, since other classes could do the same job anyway.
    you realize there are also things in the game besides raiding right?

Some things were worth getting rid of. It was just abilities stacked ontop of abilities that really served no purpose. The problem with the prun is I feel they thought it was nessessary to do an across the board equal prun of all the classes in some sort of twisted "fair" argument. Thankfully a lot of the stupid ones have been peeled back. Sadly some remain.

you realize there are also things in the game besides raiding right?
    Okay, and even in pvp searing pain was incredibly niche.
    Point stands.

Oooo! I know! You used sentry totem a lot, ya? Or or or... windwall totem!

Quote Originally Posted by kinna View Post
    such as mage remove curse deep freeze searing pain on lock mana burn on priest and many others
    Pruning went too far.

I'd accept them removing a couple, or merging others, but plainly removing over a dozen abilities, per class, was too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Every time i see people say "professions don't matter now" it reads "I can't get broken tier 1 craftables that are leaps and bounds ahead of raid gear"
    Would you argue that professions matter?

I'd give First Aid as an example. It used to be essential for players, be it leveling, raiding, pvping... now? Absolutely useless, and more of a achievement thing than anything else.

Same goes for most professions.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Pruning went too far.

I'd accept them removing a couple, or merging others, but plainly removing over a dozen abilities, per class, was too much.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you argue that professions matter?

I'd give First Aid as an example. It used to be essential for players, be it leveling, raiding, pvping... now? Absolutely useless, and more of a achievement thing than anything else.

Same goes for most professions.
    Professions were "mandatory" because they tied resistance gear to professions.
    Profession gear was very good when legion/wod hit. You got gear in selected slots with the chance to have perfect stats at a high (pre raid) itemlevel. As the game progressed they became less useful.

First aid was "mandatory" because the metagame was different, aoe heals and self healing werent as prevalent. It was hardly mandatory, though.

For example, flasks only became widespread after the consumable nerf around TK.
    Alchemy now is a lot more widespread than before.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Oh here's something we haven't discussed in a couple days, good things there's ANOTHER thread talking about it I was getting worried.
    Yeah. There should be topics people shouldn't be allowed to post about on throwaway accounts.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Point stands.

Oooo! I know! You used sentry totem a lot, ya? Or or or... windwall totem!
    you were always using searing pain when locked on shadow as a lock..

when Sentry totem and windwall totem were removed they were adding many new abilities instead.. in fact the amount of abilities used to increase or stay on the same level up to mop.. then in wod they pruned a ton and then even more in legion

i can name a shit ton of abilities that were removed/changed or became useless talents(or how they put previously baseline abilities on the same row of talents now basically removing 2 of them)

Point stands
    it was only niche if you were bad, but most of the people still playing wow and arguing that pruning was a good thing are bad, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    it was only niche if you were bad, but most of the people still playing wow and arguing that pruning was a good thing are bad, so...
    You used searing pain if you were a) stupid enough to get locked out of shadow b) didn't have a totem stomping macro c) tanking a raid boss
    So yeah, niche.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    This, so much this. Anyone saying pruning is fine probably never had this experience.

To add on this, I remember how shamans with good usage of sentry totems made a difference in PvP or right timed grounding totem were godly. Ganged by rogues? Anti-poison totem could screw them hard. Or healer in danger? Put on rockbiter and earth shock to grab aggro, taunt totem on the ground and heal both you and healer so he can continue to keep tank up.

We lost all of this. For no good reason. If at least our damage rotations would be more interesting..but they are? More buttons, sure..but interesting or complex? no way.
    Hell as a mid level player those times you remembered or figured out tricks to make things easier by using obscure skills was fun. Or using fsrsight to scout in battlegrounds or killrogs eye to plan out a pve attack when on an elite quest in vanilla and going solo.

Alot if fun flavor spells too. Not everytjing has to be useful 100% of the time or even always flavor and fun play big parts too imo

Quote Originally Posted by Veloziraptor View Post
    Preach made an interesting video. Actually it was about rng in class mechanics but he mentioned the prune at one point. He said Blizzards aim since wotlk was to tighten the gap between bad and good players. If you push the wrong buttons you do way less dmg, so they pruned a lot so bad players wont get confused. Interesting video I recommend watching it. He explains it better than me.
    I remember ghostcrawler saying this during cata, rogues were asking him why so much of their dmg output (especially for combat) came from auto-attack and he answered that this was made to have a tighter gap between good and bad rogues (auto-attack was 20-25% of total dmg during cata)
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

It lowers the barrier of entry into the game and keeps newer players from getting overwhelmed. I have convinced quite a few people to pick up wow over the years and they always complain about too many buttons or they are having trouble learning what everything does.

In Legion? Naw from what I've seen it's been a massive improvement. As a rogue I actually feel like there are cool, unique traits of each spec which give them identity whereas previously as a combat rogue I had all of them at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.