Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Blue badge parking permits 'to be rolled out' to people with hidden disabilities

http://www.itv.com/news/2018-01-21/b...-disabilities/

People with hidden disabilities could soon be entitled to blue badge parking permits under new government plans.

The Department for Transport (DfT) proposals are the biggest change to the scheme since it began in 1970 and are being introduced in order to help create more equality in the treatment of physical and mental health.

The new policy is designed to provide "clear and consistent" guidelines. Currently councils have different interpretations of existing rules with only some recognising hidden disabilities such as dementia and autism.

Around 2.4 million disabled people in England have a blue badge which enables them to park free of charge in pay and display bays and for up to three hours on yellow lines. In London, the permit also exempts holders from having to pay the congestion charge.

Around three out of four blue badge holders say they would go out less often if they did not have one, according to the DfT.

Transport minister Jesse Norman said: "Blue badges give people with disabilities the freedom to get jobs, see friends or go to the shops with as much ease as possible.

"We want to try to extend this to people with invisible disabilities, so they can enjoy the freedom to get out and about, where and when they want."

Sarah Lambert, head of policy at the National Autistic Society, welcomed the proposal and said amending parking permit access could be "a lifeline" for many autistic people, who often do not qualify under current regulations.
    I actually don't agree with this, I feel the blue badge should be exclusive to those with physical ailments only. The purpose of disabled spaces is so people don't have to walk / travel as far and that they accomadate adapted vehicles

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure I get what they mean by "invisible disabilities", I guess.

I've known people with totally not-visible pain issues which meant they couldn't walk for more than a few minutes without needing to rest; that seems like it's both "invisible" and something I'd be surprised WASN'T already qualifying for a disabled badge. They do here in Canada.

If they mean things like for autistic people, then I'd hope they're limiting it to those whose conditions are truly disabling; if we're talking about someone who needs assistance in daily life, sure. If we're talking the kind of high-functioning individual who can drive themselves to the mall and handle going in on their own, then I don't see how they qualify.

Basically, there's just not enough info in the article.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm not sure I get what they mean by "invisible disabilities", I guess.

I've known people with totally not-visible pain issues which meant they couldn't walk for more than a few minutes without needing to rest; that seems like it's both "invisible" and something I'd be surprised WASN'T already qualifying for a disabled badge. They do here in Canada.

If they mean things like for autistic people, then I'd hope they're limiting it to those whose conditions are truly disabling; if we're talking about someone who needs assistance in daily life, sure. If we're talking the kind of high-functioning individual who can drive themselves to the mall and handle going in on their own, then I don't see how they qualify.

Basically, there's just not enough info in the article.
    I believe they're talking about mental disabilities such as autism, aspergers and possibly depression

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post

I actually don't agree with this, I feel the blue badge should be exclusive to those with physical ailments only. The purpose of disabled spaces is so people don't have to walk / travel as far and that they accomadate adapted vehicles
    Its rare for me to agree with you but I absolutely do this time. People with depression shouldnt get a prime spot (If your depression is so debilitating that you cant walk a block, then you shouldnt be driving at all), nor should someone who is balding.

And even for those with physical disabilities, why do they get to park for free? They should absolutely get more convenient parking, but they should pay just like anyone else does,

Isn't the whole point of those larger spaces for people with PHYSICAL needs, like wider room of clearance for their wheelchair, etc. ?
    Last edited by Daedius; 2018-01-21 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe they're talking about mental disabilities such as autism, aspergers and possibly depression
    Is it not more stuff like ME?

depression
    Lol depression.

10+ Year Old Account
    according to WHO Gaming is now a disability, i guess i dont need to park far anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Well the article says

Sarah Lambert, head of policy at the National Autistic Society, welcomed the proposal and said amending parking permit access could be "a lifeline" for many autistic people, who often do not qualify under current regulations.
    People with ME can already receive a Blue Badge

10+ Year Old Account
    That's what I'm getting at. If we're talking people so disabled by their condition that their function in daily life is seriously hampered somehow, fine, but for these kinds of things, we're talking stuff like "needs a caretaker to take them out" levels of disability.

I've had depression in the past, it's absolutely brutal and can kill you. I'm not making light of it at all. But it doesn't disable you in the sense that you'd need preferential parking. Your problem if you're depressed is that going out seems pointless and you don't want to be around people and argh. Not that you have to walk an extra 50 feet to the store in the parking lot. Kind of the same way that a shattered arm and shoulder aren't really "worse" than a shattered leg and pelvis, but the latter will likely qualify you for temporary disability permits, because you can't walk, and the former wouldn't, because you can walk with those injuries.

I can see it for some autistic people, but like I said at the outset, we're talking people who are so disabled that they need caretakers in the first place. If they can drive themselves to the store/mall, I don't see why they need a disabled parking spot; they seem high-functioning enough to not qualify.

If they're so disabled that, say, being in a parking lot makes them go fetal and start bashing their head on the ground, okay. You've got a case for minimizing how much they get exposed to that pressure (and they probably aren't going to the mall for shopping and such; we're probably talking about going to the doctor and other such stuff).
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-01-21 at 06:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Autism was mentioned in the Guardian.

“Autistic people can suffer anxiety from not being able to park in a predictable place close to their destination, and some can “experience too much information” from the environment around them on public transport, Lambert (head of policy at the National Autistic Society) said.”

Edit: not too sure from that if the autistic person would be the driver in that scenario, or if the blue badge would be for a carer.
    Last edited by Kalis; 2018-01-21 at 06:53 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, the purpose of disabled spaces is to make life easier for those with disabilities. Why does someone who binge eats and weights 25 stone be more entitled to a disabled badge than my fully autistic nephew? Or what about me, who now has 50% bone density aka Osteoporosis, and muscle weakness due to NHS fuckups with steroid treatments?

What about someone with Crohn's Disease who NEEDS to get to that toilet asap before they shit themselves? That's a hidden disability, and a fucking horrible one at that.

And I don't think you're the person to judge whether a someone with a disability is in need of a "blue badge" or not.
    If a medical professional says you do, you do. What you think matters little.

There are huge amount of disabilities that you can't see but they still makes everyday life problematic. If such a small thing as a parking permit helps them then whats the problem?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    No, the purpose of disabled spaces is to make life easier for those with disabilities. Why does someone who binge eats and weights 25 stone be more entitled to a disabled badge than my fully autistic nephew? Or what about me, who now has 50% bone density aka Osteoporosis, and muscle weakness due to NHS fuckups with steroid treatments?

What about someone with Crohn's Disease who NEEDS to get to that toilet asap before they shit themselves? That's a hidden disability, and a fucking horrible one at that.
    Right, see, I understand all those.

My point has just been that for some of these things, like autism, there's a gradation. If they're high-functioning and can drive themselves to the parking space, they probably don't need the disabled ticket. You'll get cases like the osteoporosis and Crohn's where that standard won't hold up, but that's justified for other reasons; the "they can drive themselves, they're fine" I'm ONLY mentioning in regards to how high-functioning an autistic person may be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    There are huge amount of disabilities that you can't see but they still makes everyday life problematic. If such a small thing as a parking permit helps them then whats the problem?
    Blue badges are for specific parking places, the number available is necessarily limited and increasing those eligible would impact upon those like Adam who have severe physical handicaps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post

Why does your autistic nephew need one? The other examples are already allowed a badge

Deleted
    You already get it for ME.

My mother has one and she has had people shout at her and stuff for parking in disabled bays because its not a clearly visible disability.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Right, see, I understand all those.

My point has just been that for some of these things, like autism, there's a gradation. If they're high-functioning and can drive themselves to the parking space, they probably don't need the disabled ticket. You'll get cases like the osteoporosis and Crohn's where that standard won't hold up, but that's justified for other reasons; the "they can drive themselves, they're fine" I'm ONLY mentioning in regards to how high-functioning an autistic person may be.
    I know a few high functioning autistic people, and they don't drive at all. The sensory overload is too much for them.

I do drive, and I do have a blue badge. But I've had to give up driving certain cars. I can only drive automatics now due to not being able to operate a clutch. I may look fine walking around for a short amount of time, but people don't see how many painkillers I have to take to be able to manage that. For example, I take 200mg of Tramadol when I wake up to be even able to go out, and that just dulls the pain. I'm still in constant pain, and God help it if I also have a Crohn's Disease flare-up.

Disabled people already get shat on by UK Government in many ways. A minor win is much needed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    And I don't think you're the person to judge whether a someone with a disability is in need of a "blue badge" or not.
    If a medical professional says you do, you do. What you think matters little.

Because if we're opening the flood gates for Blue Badges you're going to have people with physical disabilities now unable to park because somebody with no physical issue is parked in it. It's bad enough with people without any disabilities parking in them...

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why does your autistic nephew need one?
    I take it you've never had to deal with a 7 year old autistic child in full meltdown mode, have you? Autism doesn't just affect the mind, it affects the whole body. It affects the way he walks, the way he see's things (he is legally blind). It affects a lot more than you'd ever imagine on a daily basis.

So again, I'll ask you, and in this scenario, I know Fasto personally as I grew up with them from childhood: Why should Fatso, who caused their own disability, be allowed a disabled badge over my nephew?