Page 1 of 34
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Why do people hate economic refugees ?

If you want to lose faith in humanity just go to any random immigration thread of mmoc.

But of all the right wing rhetoric, bias, and outright racist stuff there is one thing I don't understand. That's the dudes who go out of their way to metaphorically scream at the top of their lungs : "THOSE ARE NOT REEEFUGEEES THEY ARE ECONOMIC MIGRANTS THEY PASSED SAFE COUNTRIESSS- yadda yadda"

Okay ?

So if you're fleeing death by bombing welcome but if you're fleeing death from poverty eff you go die in a hole ? I don't understand that mindset.

Maybe this will come as a shock for some people here but most economic migrants do not want to leave their countries they just don't have a choice because there are no jobs. And it's not just third world countries, there are tens of thousands of young europeans in greece, spain, italy that are forced to leave their families to work abroad because of record unemployment levels.

TLDR economic migrants are refugees from poverty and its just as terrible

If you're a plumber you don't want the government letting in a 100 immigrant plumbers.

Seems simple and straight forward to me.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If you're a plumber you don't want the government letting in a 100 immigrant plumbers.

Seems simple and straight forward to me.
    so you let 100 plumbers die at the border ?

also people can be retrained you know

10+ Year Old Account
    A mixture of racism and believing right wing nonsense that immigration causes unemployment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Resources are limited and having everything taken from you because your house was bombed > you can't find a job in your country

I don't mind economic refugees if they come with the intention to integrate and work as a contributing member of society instead of being on welfare with no intentions of integrating into society.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2018-01-21 at 10:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    A mixture of racism and believing right wing nonsense that immigration causes unemployment.
    Or a realization that economies need time to adjust to massive influxes of unskilled laborers so economic equilibrium is maintained for existing inhabitants?

Because people don't like other people that think/act/are different then them in a society scale.
    Fear of the unknown, change in the established conditions of their lives, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurata View Post

I don't find 'Let me into your country so I can benefit from your wealth or I will kill myself' to be a particularly compelling argument. Economic refugees are, by definition, under no threat of death that they cannot escape from.

-Increasing the supply of work power without the demand for more workers will cause salary stagnation
    -If you are fleeing death, the LAW requires countries to accept you.
    -If you are fleeing poverty, why would any country accept you, before solving their existing poverty first. There are poor in every country. Solve your poor, and then sure, help the next ones. If you already have poor, why add more
    -Europeans are usually not going to other countries illegally

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Or a realization that economies need time to adjust to massive influxes of unskilled laborers so economic equilibrium is maintained for existing inhabitants?
    That's a sensible criticism; but the OP specifically said 'hate'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Resources are limited and having everything taken from you because your house was bombed > you can't find a job in your country
    Idk about everywhere else but massive unemployment in western africa is mainly the result of free trade agreements and exploitation deals with foreign powers that bring unfair competition to local economies.
    People get cheaper meat from china than the farmer next door. Fishermen in wooden sailboats compete against fleets of state-of-the-art industrial fishing ships.

It really is comparable to a war fought with different weapons. And the result is the same : people become homeless and families are displaced

Deleted
    Because of economic illiteracy, moral bankruptcy and massive shortsightedness.

Because they are a net drain on tax dollars, they commit disproportionately more crime, and it causes a lot of problems with culture clash.

Not to mention it is ridiculous to think we can save the entire world from poverty.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I don't mind economic refugees if they come with the intention to integrate and work as a contributing member of society instead of being on welfare with no intentions of integrating into society.
    Thats BS though there are no countries that let newly arrived non citizens get welfare

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    -Increasing the supply of work power without the demand for more workers will cause salary stagnation
    You do realize those workers also being humans means they consume and thus increase demand ?
    Last edited by mmocab05265050; 2018-01-21 at 10:14 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If you want to lose faith in humanity just go to any random immigration thread of mmoc.

But of all the right wing rhetoric, bias, and outright racist stuff there is one thing I don't understand. That's the dudes who go out of their way to metaphorically scream at the top of their lungs : "THOSE ARE NOT REEEFUGEEES THEY ARE ECONOMIC MIGRANTS THEY PASSED SAFE COUNTRIESSS- yadda yadda"

Okay ?

So if you're fleeing death by bombing welcome but if you're fleeing death from poverty eff you go die in a hole ? I don't understand that mindset.

Maybe this will come as a shock for some people here but most economic migrants do not want to leave their countries they just don't have a choice because there are no jobs. And it's not just third world countries, there are tens of thousands of young europeans in greece, spain, italy that are forced to leave their families to work abroad because of record unemployment levels.

There are a number of reasons.

1) Is it the responsibility of other countries or other peoples to resettle you among them and fix your economic troubles? Many would say no.

2) This hurts the country they are from because if they have any talent worthwhile doesn't their homeland deserve it that much more?

3) Refugees are people who are supposed to be in imminent danger of death, not seeking fatter welfare checks and a cushy new life. It takes away from people underthreat of death and danger in warzones when someone comes along saying "I want the fat welfare checks plz!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    More like, people claiming to be refugees without suffering persecution, which doesn't make them refugees in the first place. Wanting to go to another country to live a better life means you should use the existing legal paths to labor migration or such, not claim to be a refugee.

Okay ?

They are competition for blue collar workers. It's pretty simple and not as much racist as it worry for their own existence. In America it's more so like that because the same people pushing for mass immigration are pushing for welfare, and many believe that the country can't do both of those things with our budget. It's really not about hate, but people like to pretend it is because everyone and their mom wants to be the good guy, and nobody wants to realize it's all grey.

Retraining costs money. This went from "let in skilled people, where's the harm?" to "let in unskilled people" pretty fast.

It's not about racism (although that also exists in the conversation) but recources. You can't let in everyone, that's not how economies work.

I guess accepting "economic refugees" would be a foreign concept to someone with communist insignia as their avatar and their sig... not too many people fleeing for Venezuela, Cuba, N. Vietnam.

Oh, but that's not real communism, right, comrade? :P

Anyway, I digress. What's wrong with expecting people to work within their country to prosper? Or to deal with the shitty situation they've created, often by supporting failed political systems that only lead to economic catastrophe? To stay and correct the problems in their country?

Aren't all people equal? What is the reason every country cannot be reasonably as prosperous as the next if its citizens are motivated to make it so?