Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sails View Post
    Fucking how. Very few people buy multiple meals per person. So if those meals are healthier then the person will only consume healither food. These rules don't just exist to make fat people healthier but to stop people getting fat in the first place.
    It will fail then. Prohibition taught us that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I am laughing at anyone who thinks this will be effective at making people skinnier.

You know what this will do? Create more waste, more packaging purchased for smaller portions.
    I honestly think your incorrectly equating American and British eating habits. I rarely see people by multiple meals for themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    It will fail then. Prohibition taught us that.
    Outright ban =/= regulation

UK =/= Us

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    I am laughing at anyone who thinks this will be effective at making people skinnier.

You know what this will do? Create more waste, more packaging purchased for smaller portions.
    Exactly. The governments are excellent at wasting the citizen's taxes.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Outright ban =/= regulation

UK =/= Us
    They can find a way to circumvent it. Plus you would be outright banning the higher calorie content packages. :P

Deleted
    Exactly. The governments are excellent at wasting the citizen's taxes.

- - - Updated - - -

They can find a way to circumvent it. Plus you would be outright banning the higher calorie content packages. :P
    Of course they can. If someone really wants to eat more they can but not everyone will try that hard. Please a theoretical ban on alcohol 60% proof will not have the same effect as completely ban of alcohol.

This law basically exists so when a parent picks up fast food in a rush for their kids the kids don't eat crap, not to stop a man on a mobility scooter eating their weight in chips.
    Last edited by mmoc8d6f890807; 2018-01-22 at 02:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course they can. If someone really wants to eat more they can but not everyone will try that hard. Please a theoretical ban on alcohol 60% proof will not have the same effect as completely ban of alcohol.
    Sure it would. There would be more bootlegging for the those who want the stronger stuff.

Deleted
    But not on the majority of people.

10+ Year Old Account
    But not on the majority of people.
    Because the majority drink beer here and I assume the same for the Brits?

Deleted
    Couple of things to point out on this article.

First of all, it's not law yet, it's under consideration. There are many laws under consideration that never make it past that point.

Secondly, it's for fast food and supermarket ready meals, which imo, do need to combated in some fashion, if only to get the nation actually cooking again

Now, that said, all this will likely do is make fast food/supermarkets use healthier ingredients in those meals to reduce the calorific content.

As for "Nanny State", tell me, how many American states have the sugar tax now? How many more are considering it?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because the majority drink beer here and I assume the same for the Brits?
    I think that's the point Sails, and other posters, in this thread have been making.
    Most people will hardly notice it, they'll just get a healthier meal the times they eat that type of food. The people who go to McD and buy three big macs are already out of the picture of where this would help.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Couple of things to point out on this article.

First of all, it's not law yet, it's under consideration. There are many laws under consideration that never make it past that point.

Secondly, it's for fast food and supermarket ready meals, which imo, do need to combated in some fashion, if only to get the nation actually cooking again

Now, that said, all this will likely do is make fast food/supermarkets use healthier ingredients in those meals to reduce the calorific content.

As for "Nanny State", tell me, how many American states have the sugar tax now? How many more are considering it?
    Very, very few. If any. And I am not aware of many considering it. On soda drinks, yes. But that is not a tax on sugar per say.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2018-01-22 at 02:45 PM.

Deleted
    Yes, same with eating. The majority of people will grab a singular meal, so if that one meal is 'healthier' they will be 'healthier'.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    I think that's the point Sails, and other posters, in this thread have been making.
    Most people will hardly notice it, they'll just get a healthier meal the times they eat that type of food. The people who go to McD and buy three big macs are already out of the picture of where this would help.
    Chirst your much better at explaining my point :L

But yes this

10+ Year Old Account
    I found this bit of info interesting;

Denmark instituted a "fat tax" on foods containing more than 2.3% saturated fats, introduced in October 2011. The tax was abolished the following year after the public failed to accept it and instead crossed into neighboring Germany to stock up on food.
    "It was difficult to implement, as it covered such a wide range of foods," Cavan said, including dairy, meats and processed foods.

I do understand however, the Brits live on a island. So that would be hard to do. But the point is, where there is a way and people can get by with it, they will circumvent.

Deleted

Denmark instituted a "fat tax" on foods containing more than 2.3% saturated fats, introduced in October 2011. The tax was abolished the following year after the public failed to accept it and instead crossed into neighboring Germany to stock up on food.
    "It was difficult to implement, as it covered such a wide range of foods," Cavan said, including dairy, meats and processed foods.

I do understand however, the Brits live on a island. So that would be hard to do. But the point is, where there is a way and people can get by with it, they will circumvent.
    People do that now with things like alcohol and cigarettes, they're cheaper in France, so a quick hop onto the Ferry, stop in Calais, head to one of the many, many warehouse superstores that take advantage of this trade, and then hop back in the Ferry home with a car loaded down with booze and cigs.

Not sure people would go that extent for a McDonalds or some cheapo supermarket ready meals though.

I'd also point out, it isn't a tax that we're considering, it's enforcing a cap on the calorific content of certain ready meals, there's a difference.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

That also misses that it's not a select regulation tax. It was on all food items with a lot of fat. So my first assumption would be that if you buy ham it'd apply. Same if you get whole milk.

This is for ready-made supermarket meals and fast-food. It's quite different in nature. Equating the two is rather disingenuous.
    Could the same thing happen? Doubtfully. It's not convenient to go to Germany for lazy food for most people in Denmark. They already go to Germany (Or Poland, or the Baltic states) for alcohol if they plan on buying lots. But not if they just want a beer a Friday afternoon.
    The reasoning behind it is this aims at making the meals themselves healthier.
    It'll help some people, most probably most people. The people already fat because they eat 3 big macs, as I mentioned before, aren't the aim of it.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    People do that now with things like alcohol and cigarettes, they're cheaper in France, so a quick hop onto the Ferry, stop in Calais, head to one of the many, many warehouse superstores that take advantage of this trade, and then hop back in the Ferry home with a car loaded down with booze and cigs.

Not sure people would go that extent for a McDonalds or some cheapo supermarket ready meals though.

I'd also point out, it isn't a tax that we're considering, it's enforcing a cap on the calorific content of certain ready meals, there's a difference.
    First off. It is not my country, so what you guys decide is really none of my business. My opinion is only for what could happen here. I would be opposed to such a regulation here. Education labels and even taught in public schools? I am all for that. If I was a Brit, I would have the same opinion I think and be calling for them not to pass such a law. And it would not be because it would effect me personally. I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 163 pounds. And over middle aged. I weighed 164 pounds when I was discharged from the military at age 20.

Since they got rid of that tax the border trade hasn't been affected at all. Seems your argument is invalid then.

Deleted
    First off. It is not my country, so what you guys decide is really none of my business. My opinion is only for what could happen here. I would be opposed to such a regulation here. Education labels and even taught in public schools? I am all for that. If I was a Brit, I would have the same opinion I think and be calling for them not to pass such a law. And it would not be because it would effect me personally. I am 5' 10" tall and weigh 163 pounds. And over middle aged. I weighed 164 pounds when I was discharged from the military at age 20.
    We already have such labels, though I will agree about teaching classes in school on how to prepare healthy meals, I believe (from what i've heard) that most cooking classes in schools have been stopped, which is a shame.

But that said, we've done all this, and obesity rates are still continuing to rise. It's all well and good for you lot in America to turn around and be against this, because the increase in obesity related diseases later in life don't affect you lot if you aren't fat, due to way your healthcare system works. For us, it does, so the government is exploring every option to attempt to make a healthier population that will have less of a strain on the NHS.

If this was a "fat tax", then i'd be against it, but enforcing caps on certain meals doesn't sound like a hardship to me, or anyone tbh.

I honestly think your incorrectly equating American and British eating habits. I rarely see people by multiple meals for themselves.
    Oh yes, British people are so different than Americans /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedSkull View Post
    Since they got rid of that tax the border trade hasn't been affected at all. Seems your argument is invalid then.
    It was only a point where there is a will, there is a way. People here in the US, will buy heart worm medicine for dogs from pet supplies in Canada. Because it is a lot cheaper there than in the US, because here you need a prescription to buy it. The same thing happens here in what they call dry counties. Or no Sunday sales for alcohol. They stock up on Saturdays. :P

- - - Updated - - -

We already have such labels, though I will agree about teaching classes in school on how to prepare healthy meals, I believe (from what i've heard) that most cooking classes in schools have been stopped, which is a shame.

But that said, we've done all this, and obesity rates are still continuing to rise. It's all well and good for you lot in America to turn around and be against this, because the increase in obesity related diseases later in life don't affect you lot if you aren't fat, due to way your healthcare system works. For us, it does, so the government is exploring every option to attempt to make a healthier population that will have less of a strain on the NHS.

If this was a "fat tax", then i'd be against it, but enforcing caps on certain meals doesn't sound like a hardship to me, or anyone tbh.
    The reason I am opposed to it is, it feels like another step toward a Big Brother watching over you state. Or a Nanny state as some think. I am not opposed to some regulation for the safety of the people. But this law being considered, if it was here, I would be opposed to it as a overreach by the government. And I think you will continue to see obesity rates rise if it passes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now, that said, all this will likely do is make fast food/supermarkets use healthier ingredients in those meals to reduce the calorific content.?
    Which will greatly increase prices as well, meaning people will be able to buy less of the "healthier" food and still be hungry. And the food they ARE able to get will taste like shit since there is no sugar, fat, or flavor in it.

None. A few left wing large cities have a sugar tax and several tried it and repealed it due to constituent outrage and ineffectiveness (people just bought soda in the next town over).