Thread: Oscars 2018

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Really? Dunkirk is the only one Ive heard of or even seen a trailer for. Where's the Best Picture nominations for Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Wonder Woman, Transformers The Last Knight, and Despicable Me 3?? You know, the top movies of 2017? If the garbage they nominated was any good, they would've made more money than these movies. Only good movies make lots of money, because millions of people do not pay money to see bad movies
    you do realize you have the people's choice award for that right?

(just in case you're not trolling, which ofc you are, just saying)

Quote Originally Posted by Crillam View Post

Pretty sure he's a troll
    It made it a lot easier once i figured out that Orlong is actually the Simpsons' Comic Book Guy.

famous people sure love to praise each other all the time, with award shows.. that i will never understand the reasoning

anyhow i hope dunkirk wins some stuff, or won

The fact that Meryl "I didn't know anything" Streep got nominated is where I just didn't care about any of the other nominations.
    She is a known friend of Woody Allen even to this date, despite multiple accusations of him molesting his own children (he even married one of them).
    She gave Roman Polanski who is a convicted child rapist a standing ovation knowing full well that he was convicted by a court for child rape and fled justice to avoid going to jail.
    She has been a close family friend and ally of Harvey Weinstein over the decades yet she knew nothing.
    And what does Hollywood do despite all this they gave her another frigging Oscar nomination.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Quote Originally Posted by Linri View Post
    famous people sure love to praise each other all the time, with award shows.. that i will never understand the reasoning

anyhow i hope dunkirk wins some stuff, or won
    The Oscars, and award shows like that, are important because they give attention to movies that excel in different categories of the craft, which struggle to get spotlight otherwise because many people only go see movies with a big budget and a lot of marketing. These movies would probably not get made if they did not have a shot at getting highlighted for having really good acting, production design, custom design, directing, cinematography, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    if only film wasnt a completely objective thing where every single aspect of every film clearly and obviously has the same effect on everyone.

for the record the sound editing in baby driver was fucking phenomenal imo, and not just the music (which isnt really part of sound editing)
    Isn't it sound mixing? I have a hard time telling when something is sound editing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    The Oscars, and award shows like that, are important because they give attention to movies that excel in different categories of the craft, which struggle to get spotlight otherwise because many people only go see movies with a big budget and a lot of marketing. These movies would probably not get made if they did not have a shot at getting highlighted for having really good acting, production design, custom design, directing, cinematography, etc.
    I had a hard trouble reading that without dying from laughter. Oscars are nothing else than licking the balls of whatever money launderer decides to invest money on X movie nowadays. The process of picking winners seems way too random for any legitimate discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    I had a hard trouble reading that without dying from laughter. Oscars are nothing else than licking the balls of whatever money launderer decides to invest money on X movie nowadays. The process of picking winners seems way too random for any legitimate discussion.
    In what way is it "random"? People nominate for their own categories, and then everybody who are in the Academy, which means several thousand people from the industry, votes.

Here's a video that puts forth the point that I'm also trying to convey in the first 1.5 minutes:

Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2018-01-23 at 06:44 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    ... Best sound editing: Baby Driver...? Really? That movie made me wish they'd stop playing music, even when said music was one of my favourite songs of all time, due to how cluttered and phoned it felt...
    I thought they did a phenomenal job on the attention to sound and music in that movie RTJ ftw!
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Can't say I enjoyed many of the movies that got nominated this year but Baby Driver should easily sweep it's categories and Get Out for directing possibly.

Nice racism bro
    Well I'm white so I guess not so much? Not to mention there has been complaints of lack of diversity when it comes to the oscars.

I've watched none of the movies nominated for Best Animated Feature, but besides Coco, I feel confident that A Silent Voice and The LEGO Batman Movie (and probably In This Corner of the World as well really) are better than all of them.

I'm not a fan of the animators or whoever put forth the nominations for that category.

I've watched none of the movies nominated for Best Animated Feature, but besides Coco, I feel confident that A Silent Voice and The LEGO Batman Movie (and probably In This Corner of the World as well really) are better than all of them.

I'm not a fan of the animators or whoever put forth the nominations for that category.
    I dont get it either, A Silent Voice would of won it.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason why look at the nomination list is get an idea of all the movies I didn't see this year. 90% of the nominations are always dry film festival adaptations that mainstream movie goers didn't see or care about. Theres that one or two good movies that everyone saw, Sci-fi/fantasy dominate the technical categories but never any other, Meryl Streep gets her annual nomination, Twitter complains about whats been snubbed without talking about some shit even got nominated.

This: Get Out, good movie too mainstream for the Oscars (good in my book, nomination feels like a token one. How in the shit did Logan get nominated (for reasons similar to get out except even more head scratching)...Twitter is saying Wonder Women was snubbed!? Again loved the movie but it doesn't fit what the Oscars are/have become. Someone even cited Logan as to why...BUT LOGAN SHOULDN'T BE NOMINATED EITHER! Wonder Women in my top 5, maybe 6 geek movies of the movie year but shouldn't be anywhere near the Oscars.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    The only thing I really care about when it comes to the Oscars is the ability to remind people that Suicide Squad is an Oscar-winning film Sure, it's not a major award it got but it still counts and frustrates the people that hated the film. Otherwise I don't really expect to see much of anything that I would enjoy in the Oscar lists, the films it tends to appreciate are not my style most of the time.
    People making a thing out of Suicide Squad winning for Makeup and Hairstyling are silly. Most can't even argue against it deserving that win, people just have a weird notion that an Oscar is something a movie should win for being itself good in their opinion, and not because the movie actually did the thing it was nominated for very well.

Pretty sure Dunkirk is taking those Blade runner awards. Its scifi artsy always loses to war artsy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    The only reason why look at the nomination list is get an idea of all the movies I didn't see this year. 90% of the nominations are always dry film festival adaptations that mainstream movie goers didn't see or care about. Theres that one or two good movies that everyone saw, Sci-fi/fantasy dominate the technical categories but never any other, Meryl Streep gets her annual nomination, Twitter complains about whats been snubbed without talking about some shit even got nominated.

This: Get Out, good movie too mainstream for the Oscars (good in my book, nomination feels like a token one. How in the shit did Logan get nominated (for reasons similar to get out except even more head scratching)...Twitter is saying Wonder Women was snubbed!? Again loved the movie but it doesn't fit what the Oscars are/have become. Someone even cited Logan as to why...BUT LOGAN SHOULDN'T BE NOMINATED EITHER! Wonder Women in my top 5, maybe 6 geek movies of the movie year but shouldn't be anywhere near the Oscars.
    I disagree. The award is for Best Picture. Its not Best Picture that nobody other than weird hippies and film students have seen. The best movie of the year is what should win and usually the best movie of the year is the one that made the most money because that means the most people liked it
    Last edited by Orlong; 2018-01-24 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corroc View Post
    Pretty sure Dunkirk is taking those Blade runner awards. Its scifi artsy always loses to war artsy.
    cinematography and VFX will go to Blade runner

editing and SFX will go to dunkirk, basically.

like, if roger deakins doesnt win this year, then the academy is basically blatantly admitting to not wanting him having an oscar.

cinematography and VFX will go to Blade runner

editing and SFX will go to dunkirk, basically.

like, if roger deakins doesnt win this year, then the academy is basically blatantly admitting to not wanting him having an oscar.
    I don't think Blade Runner will win for VFX actually. I don't remember there being a lot of big VFX in it, really. I could see War for the Planet of the Apes winning that.

I would like to see Blade Runner win for Production Design, but it has tough competition.

I don't think Blade Runner will win for VFX actually. I don't remember there being a lot of big VFX in it, really. I could see War for the Planet of the Apes winning that.

I would like to see Blade Runner win for Production Design, but it has tough competition.
    two words

replicant threesome

also, remember that ex machina won for VFX even though it didnt have a lot of VFX in it, but the VFX it had was fucking phenomenal.

it beat star wars for VFX

quality over quantity and all that.

I wouldnt mind if apes won VFX, but blade runner deserves more than one bone thrown at it if it's been snubbed so hard in the major categories.

two words

replicant threesome

also, remember that ex machina won for VFX even though it didnt have a lot of VFX in it, but the VFX it had was fucking phenomenal.

it beat star wars for VFX

quality over quantity and all that.

I wouldnt mind if apes won VFX, but blade runner deserves more than one bone thrown at it if it's been snubbed so hard in the major categories.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Still leaning towards Apes taking it. As I just mentioned, I don't really think along the lines of a movie deserving a lot of Oscars just cause.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Still leaning towards Apes taking it. As I just mentioned, I don't really think along the lines of a movie deserving a lot of Oscars just cause.
    but the oscars think like that.

why do you think gary oldman will win this year, or why do you think scorsese won for the departed?
    or why do you think leo won for the revenant.

it happens :P

and it's not even a "just cause" thing

blade runner pushed the boundaries of what you can do with a movie audiovisually. same way gravity did 4 years ago.

so it's not exactly unwarranted.

and remember, Dawn lost to a scifi as well

in a perfect world it'd be a tie. but that's quite unlikely :P
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-24 at 01:42 AM.