Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Recruit-A-Friend Changes Feedback

Recruit-A-Friend Changes Feedback
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    Thanks for the feedback and thoughts so far.

The Refer-A-Friend system is intended as an option for players who want to invite a friend to play WoW with them and experience the game together. When it was first introduced, we gave it a hefty bonus to experience gain as a way for both players to reach endgame content as quickly as possible.

Nowadays, purchasing the latest WoW expansion includes a free character boost, so the need to rush your friend to max level is no longer there; you can jump into the latest content with your friend right away. This meant that the only players who were using the Refer-A-Friend system in its intended way – leveling alongside their friend – were those who had decided that they wanted to experience that content together. We realized that, for those players, the 300% XP bonus was a disservice; we were cutting that shared experience short by making them finish it far too quickly.

Now, we certainly recognize that the majority of people using the Refer-A-Friend system before these changes were doing so in order to level alts quickly. If anything, we take that as a strong indication that the system needed to change: the best method to level a character in WoW shouldn’t be “buy a new copy of the game, put it on a separate account, send it a Refer-A-Friend invite, level a new character, and then transfer that character to your primary account when you’re finished.” That’s messy, at best.

That said, we’re certainly taking the feedback about the rate of leveling alts into account as we move forward with the game’s development. We’ve been happy with the changes so far, but if leveling is too slow, we’d rather address that in the game itself than have Refer-A-Friend be some kind of bizarre workaround to an outstanding issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the remainder of my alts to level 90 just in time! I bought the RAF on two accounts just for this. I then bought a third account to boost to 100 to drag them through dungeons till 90. Personally, I think everyone should just start at 98 or something in new expansion. Will be more people in the zones with auto-scaling in effect. You learn absolutely nothing while levelling after 1st character. It's just a slog.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    they just want to push people to buy their shitty boosts that has that ridiculous price tag of 60 euro
    I do believe you missed the point.

IMO, there should be a boost to EXP gain if you have a character at max level of current content(losing it when BfA launches and gaining it again at new cap).. Ie., 5-10% boost per character that you have on the account at max level with a max of 12 or whatever the character limit on 1 server is so that it doesn't scale infinitely.

I still smell greed. all of these changes are anti-EXP. I have no problem with the new combat times but I have a friend who was the shining example of someone who would rather level than spend money even having a well paying job, After many hours of discussion in discord we all decided leveling in its current state is NOT worth the time invested not only that I would argue the new problem is this feeling of making no progress.

Not my discord but I've seen hardly no positive opinions about this patch.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    IMO, there should be a boost to EXP gain if you have a character at max level of current content(losing it when BfA launches and gaining it again at new cap).. Ie., 5-10% boost per character that you have on the account at max level with a max of 12 or whatever the character limit on 1 server is so that it doesn't scale infinitely.
    Isn’t that what hairlooms are suppose to be a bonus to leveling because you have a max level toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthezar View Post
    I still smell greed. all of these changes are anti-EXP. I have no problem with the new combat times but I have a friend who was the shining example of someone who would rather level than spend money even having a well paying job, After many hours of discussion in discord we all decided leveling in its current state is NOT worth the time invested not only that I would argue the new problem is this feeling of making no progress.

Not my discord but I've seen hardly no positive opinions about this patch.

I love the changes.

Now you've seen positive feedback.

Also I've got no idea what he did to spend 4h going from 19-23. I spent that time going from 1-30~ish.

Once again have to call bullshit. You can't have your cake and eat it Blizzard. You can't say that you don't want a rush experience for new players then turn around and effectively disable hierloom XP bonus for those players leveling with their friends. What does hierlooms have to do with new player experience?

Boosts are too expensive, and every move you've made regarding leveling in 7.3.5 pushes current players into buying boosts to level alts. Why the hell is it $60, the price of the retail game, to get a character boosted in a game you also pay a monthly sub on, and also have to purchase expansions for every couple years?

Deleted
    Wait a minute, did they just confirm that BfA will indeed include a boost to level 110 for one char?

Just use heirlooms if you want to level fast fuckers.

So blizz nerfed recruit a friend, making leveling allied races even more pain. But it doesnt stop there, if their goal is to increase the amount of character boosts sold then they are on the wrong path. Since almost ALL people who gonna level a allied race will do it for the transmog armor, and it was stated that you CANNOT use boost on allied races to gain the transmog rewards. So this is a double edge sword. No1 wins in this case.

And if you want a allied race and dont care about the armor its cheaper to just race change a currently existing alt rather than boosting one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaigar View Post
    Once again have to call bullshit. You can't have your cake and eat it Blizzard. You can't say that you don't want a rush experience for new players then turn around and effectively disable hierloom XP bonus for those players leveling with their friends. What does hierlooms have to do with new player experience?

Boosts are too expensive, and every move you've made regarding leveling in 7.3.5 pushes current players into buying boosts to level alts. Why the hell is it $60, the price of the retail game, to get a character boosted in a game you also pay a monthly sub on, and also have to purchase expansions for every couple years?
    What does hairloom exp have to do with leveling with friends? If you raf your both at 50% so you don’t put level each other.

And you said it your self why are boost 60 bucks? If they wanted to sell more they could cut the price and many more people would buy them. The selling boost argument just doesn’t make any sense as boost have been in for a while and they haven’t changed the leveling speed till they are going to release an expan with rewards for leveling the normal way.

Quote Originally Posted by SheepHunter View Post
    So blizz nerfed recruit a friend, making leveling allied races even more pain. But it doesnt stop there, if their goal is to increase the amount of character boosts sold then they are on the wrong path. Since almost ALL people who gonna level a allied race will do it for the transmog armor, and it was stated that you CANNOT use boost on allied races to gain the transmog rewards. So this is a double edge sword. No1 wins in this case.

And if you want a allied race and dont care about the armor its cheaper to just race change a currently existing alt rather than boosting one.
    Hmmm it almost sounds like blizzard wants people to level characters the normal way, how odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    We're beginning to break them. Hopefully they'll add an exp boost.

It doesn't even have to be an easy to get one, 100% bonus exp on a class you already have at max level. 200% for completing lore master. Another 100% when all your classes are at level cap.

Simple. Give people an option to turn the exp rates off and boom. Everyone is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    See, this is entirely reasonable.

I know everyone is still gonna come in here and say "You're naive if you believe Blizzard" because they want so desperately to believe they're trying to push boosts, but frankly there are a lot easier ways to do that than nerfing recruit a friend.

This has nothing to do with boosts, and frankly, they're right - Recruit a friend never should have been used in the way it was and needed to change.
    The funny part is, is I feel this is just players bitching to bitch. Please, if you use this system, show proof. I bet most cant because they aren't using it. Its more a cause of bitching just because its been the new, cool thing to do for a few years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    What does hairloom exp have to do with leveling with friends? If you raf your both at 50% so you don’t put level each other.

And you said it your self why are boost 60 bucks? If they wanted to sell more they could cut the price and many more people would buy them. The selling boost argument just doesn’t make any sense as boost have been in for a while and they haven’t changed the leveling speed till they are going to release an expan with rewards for leveling the normal way.
    Hierlooms and RaF no longer stack in experience gain. IE if you have hierlooms, you really don't gain any increased XP with RaF.

Everybody complaining the leveling time has either been spoiled by the poorly scaled ability and overly valued heirloom version of leveling or is taking advice from a handful of complainers and considering it as gospel. I've leveled a character with the new system, and didn't take me much time to get to 90. I did one dungeon and that was RFC. Only because I wanted to actually take the time to quest and finish out the chapters of each zone because doing the dungeon grind defeated the purpose of making an alt today when you have over 35 100-110 characters .

I truly believe that the scaling is better than jumping from zone to zone because it takes away the travel time of going to a new zone due to outleveling the quests. I stayed in Elwynn Forest until 13, Westfall until 20, Redridge until 25, Upper STV until 32, etc. You don't waste time checking your facebook, reading pointless repeated threads on MMO-C, talking in general or trade chat... you ACTUALLY level. You'll get to 90-100 in a couple of DAYS. It's baffling that people think the new leveling system has a wide margin of time taken to level in comparison to the old system. It's not that bad, and is actually fun if you haven't quested to completion for that zone.

Just give heirlooms 100% damage and 300% XP bonus and we are good.

10+ Year Old Account
    My question remains: who asked for this change to Recruit a Friend in the first place ?

10+ Year Old Account
    This probably hurt multiboxers so that's good.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset