Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ...
    The game throws metal shards at you. How do you run out of materials to make an arrow. It takes 1 shard to make 10 arrows
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You do know it's possible to become hidden again once you engage right? That the enemies don't regenerate health as soon as you exit combat?
    What part of "boring" did you miss? Its not engaging for me to stay in the grass all the time.

Also, the materials used to craft the arrows are everywhere.
    Grind, as I said. instead of enjoying the story and gameplay I dodge-roll around gathering.
    The only time I entered melee was when I was doing a stealth kill. I had plenty of materials, and therefore plenty of arrows so I never ran out. The only enemy I had to dodge roll often was the digger mole dude, but I still used arrows and traps on him, I just had to get into melee range or dodge roll to get him to come out of the ground.
    I used dodge-roll to get around, it's faster than sprinting and more convenient than a mount.
    Sounds like you just didn't like the game and couldn't get passed the premise.
    That's basically what I said. I found it boring.
    I found it amazing. As did MANY others. Don't be such a killjoy.
    I'm not. I'm just giving a second opinion.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    To each their own. I myself never felt like I had to grind for anything. Shards are the currency so they were always on hand and after just grabbing every batch of sticks I passed while running from one place to another I had so much that I started tossing full stacks just to free up inventory space.

If you didn't like it, it just wasn't your thing. Bummer. I loved pretty much every aspect of the game. If I had any small gripes at all, it was with weapon upgrades. I wish there was just a bit more variety. There were pretty much just like 4 tiers of each weapon and each was just flat out better than the one before so after I bought the highest version of my favorite weapons there really wasn't anything to look forward too as far as upgrades go. But that's a really minor complaint because it really isnt a gear focused game.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    HZD didn't win Game of the Year because it wasn't Zelda and all of games media must suckle at the teat of Nintendo. Seriously. If BotW had been released as just some brand new IP open world fantasy game I really doubt it would have gotten the praise it did. Would have likely still been a well received game, but not the best game of the year.
    Disclaimer: I flipping love Horizon. It was one of the most cool worlds in a game in a while and while every element, including the story, was definitely not 'new' it was presented in a unique way that made it feel fresh and so much fun.

But here is why Zelda won game of the year...

1) It broke away from a formula it has used for roughly 4 decades to push one of the most loved universes into a new age. This is certainly harder than creating a new game with no predispositions or feelings about the IP in general.

2) If you have played BotW, you know that the feeling of exploration and adventure is more present in that game than maybe any other game made. Horizon was beautiful and I was in awe of the world, but I was acutely aware of the world and the fact that it was a game. All the activities I pursued were in service of this game, checking of a list of things, etc.

In Zelda, I played for hours and hours just running around and doing whatever the crap presented itself to me because even though there are quests, the world was designed as a living element for you to explore. Nothing was hard locked off, the climbing system made any path you chose to tackle it viable, and really you are griven a sense of agency in the game that I can't recall getting in any game before.

3) The aesthetic both visual and audio created a space that made you feel things. Horizon made you think ooh that's pretty and hey, that music track is nice, but most of the time you were in awe at how slick the game was. Zelda made you forget you were playing a game, forget you had a shitty life, and made you in love with running around with the wind at your back and the sun in the sky.

There are more, but this is the Horizon thread. I just wanted to speak to this to say that these two games tried and accomplished two totally different things. If BotW wasn't released, I think I would make a case for Horizon to be GOTY. It doesn't make it a worse game, just different. Not every game needs to make you so immersed and give you all the feels in that way.

Horizon was probably the most polished and slick put together of 2010-2017 game mechanics in a pretty package. That sounds like a disservice, but honestly it's not. It's very enjoyable because of that. It's just not some revolutionary game. It's just a great game in a year that had several.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    The story was amazing, regardless of my thoughts on combat the whole idea in the story worked perfectly. Anyone saying otherwise shouldn't play games.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What part of "boring" did you miss? Its not engaging for me to stay in the grass all the time.

Grind, as I said. instead of enjoying the story and gameplay I dodge-roll around gathering.

I used dodge-roll to get around, it's faster than sprinting and more convenient than a mount.

That's basically what I said. I found it boring.

I'm not. I'm just giving a second opinion.
    I never found the gathering to be a grind because I just did it all the time as I went from place to place. Totally understand how it could feel that way though. I found it engaging to play hide and seek, as it were, because I just felt connected to the character and that's how a person in that world would fight things like that. I didn't look at it as me just playing a video game, I wanted to be Aloy, the game drew me in that much that all the stuff you didn't enjoy didn't feel bad to me. Dodge rolling was even more convenient than having the on-call mount talent thingy? Once you get that you just whistle for it and it comes to you anywhere you are.

In any case, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it, IMO it's the 2017 game of the year. Obviously, opinions being what they are, people will have different ones. In your opinion, what was your game of the year? Not going to derail the thread, just curious as to your answer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Disclaimer: I flipping love Horizon. It was one of the most cool worlds in a game in a while and while every element, including the story, was definitely not 'new' it was presented in a unique way that made it feel fresh and so much fun.

1) It broke away from a formula it has used for roughly 4 decades to push one of the most loved universes into a new age. This is certainly harder than creating a new game with no predispositions or feelings about the IP in general.

2) If you have played BotW, you know that the feeling of exploration and adventure is more present in that game than maybe any other game made. Horizon was beautiful and I was in awe of the world, but I was acutely aware of the world and the fact that it was a game. All the activities I pursued were in service of this game, checking of a list of things, etc.

In Zelda, I played for hours and hours just running around and doing whatever the crap presented itself to me because even though there are quests, the world was designed as a living element for you to explore. Nothing was hard locked off, the climbing system made any path you chose to tackle it viable, and really you are griven a sense of agency in the game that I can't recall getting in any game before.

3) The aesthetic both visual and audio created a space that made you feel things. Horizon made you think ooh that's pretty and hey, that music track is nice, but most of the time you were in awe at how slick the game was. Zelda made you forget you were playing a game, forget you had a shitty life, and made you in love with running around with the wind at your back and the sun in the sky.

There are more, but this is the Horizon thread. I just wanted to speak to this to say that these two games tried and accomplished two totally different things. If BotW wasn't released, I think I would make a case for Horizon to be GOTY. It doesn't make it a worse game, just different. Not every game needs to make you so immersed and give you all the feels in that way.

Horizon was probably the most polished and slick put together of 2010-2017 game mechanics in a pretty package. That sounds like a disservice, but honestly it's not. It's very enjoyable because of that. It's just not some revolutionary game. It's just a great game in a year that had several.
    I honestly heavily disliked BotW for two simple reasons. The equipment durability system and the inventory. Always knowing that my weapon would break eventually, always having to be on the lookout for, or at least aware of them (because yes, in the overworld they drop like candy) just killed any sense of adventure, exploration and excitement I had especially when coupled with the inventory system that had SEVERE limitations on size that could only be expanded by collecting pieces of talking tree shit. I got through the water dungeon with no weapons left and a single arrow with a blinking red bow.....had I not killed the boss with the previous arrow I would have been screwed, with no weapons or way to attack him, which is absolutely stupid.

After playing Horizon, Zelda just seemed shallow in comparison.

15+ Year Old Account
    cant wait for the aloy armor skin in monster hunter world.
    Last edited by Gutler; 2018-01-10 at 01:42 AM.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

7+ Year Old Account
    How about some Kotra, Garak? You can lull me into sleep

I really don't mind BOTW winning it all. But let's be frank. The odds were always in favor of Zelda because it's.. Zelda. It's good in what it does and elevates it to a new level, but consider aspects that BOTW does less well in like story, character(development), voice acting, music, etc. BOTW is a old and very loved franchise that is rooted deeply in many hearts. However Horizon is a new IP made by a team that has no prior experience and delivers a collection of tried and familiar tropes in a single and polished game with better beforementioned aspects. A game doesn't need to be revolutionary to be special.
    Last edited by Ladyoftheforest; 2018-01-10 at 04:42 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoftheforest View Post
    A game doesn't need to be revolutionary to be special.
    Oh definitely. You also have to consider the weight that being a new console's launch title, etc. Zelda did have a lot of 'extra' things going for not really related to the game itself that Horizon didn't. I think they should seriously consider Horizon becoming a flagship launch potential tile for Sony though. PS5 with Horizon 3, probably a great idea in 5 years.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh definitely. You also have to consider the weight that being a new console's launch title, etc. Zelda did have a lot of 'extra' things going for not really related to the game itself that Horizon didn't. I think they should seriously consider Horizon becoming a flagship launch potential tile for Sony though. PS5 with Horizon 3, probably a great idea in 5 years.
    Its made by Guerrilla Games, one of Sony's flagship developers. You better believe its going to be used to sell consoles.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the Complete Edition and am curious when I should head to the Frozen Wild portion?

I finally did some reading into how to apply the +Spear Damage Mods I've been getting (since I couldn't add them to Armor or existing weapons) and found out that its a DLC thing in the Frozen Wild. Its got me thinking I should diverge to that area sooner rather than later. Currently I'm level 30 and have just gotten to Meridian.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

I would recommend either finishing or being close to finishing the main game before doing the DLC, the enemies there suck and theres a good portion of spoilers for the main story if you havent gotten far yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I got the Complete Edition and am curious when I should head to the Frozen Wild portion?

I finally did some reading into how to apply the +Spear Damage Mods I've been getting (since I couldn't add them to Armor or existing weapons) and found out that its a DLC thing in the Frozen Wild. Its got me thinking I should diverge to that area sooner rather than later. Currently I'm level 30 and have just gotten to Meridian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    I would recommend either finishing or being close to finishing the main game before doing the DLC, the enemies there suck and theres a good portion of spoilers for the main story if you havent gotten far yet.
    Um I went at level 30, the enemies are tougher but I wouldn't recommend almost finishing the game before going to it. I'm still in the middle of it but it's not unbearable. It comes down to your skill level really, if you really suck then you'll just get face planted. However if you know what you are doing it's no harder than the rest of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    How far in is just getting the Spear Upgrade option? Or is that the reward for finishing the whole thing?
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    How far in is just getting the Spear Upgrade option? Or is that the reward for finishing the whole thing?
    after the introduction it's one of the first side quests you'll come across. However the upgrade is very mediocre at best. You only get 1 upgrade slot and the only thing you can put in it is +spear damage which isn't very useful unless you can get one of the ultra rare upgrades which is like 40% but it's still not that great since it's not your primary combat.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Um I went at level 30, the enemies are tougher but I wouldn't recommend almost finishing the game before going to it. I'm still in the middle of it but it's not unbearable. It comes down to your skill level really, if you really suck then you'll just get face planted. However if you know what you are doing it's no harder than the rest of the game.
    Fair point, I think the biggest thing about it is the main story spoilers, if you complete the DLC before the main game it takes away a lot of the mystery which is one of the main reasons I liked this game so much.