Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Have you? If someone was standing there doing that in front of the crowd it would be distracting.
    Yes, they are far off to the side, either on stage or off depending on size of the venue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    What a fucking cunt you are.
    Well I may be a cunt, but at least I'm not the one being unreasonable.

When I go to to a theater play in, say Hungary or Poland, I KNOW I'm not the target audience of the people who organized the event. I don't speak the language and won't understand a single sentence. So I ask them If they will provide an interpreter for those who don't speak their language, and they say no. I mean why would they, it'd be more expensive than just not having me as a patron, and why would they feel obligated to cater to some fringe group they never expected to turn up in the first place.

So now, after being told that I can bring my own interpreter if I feel I want one at the event, but I don't, attend anyways and then try to sue them for not having an interpreter just for me - if I did all of that - then people would rightly be unsympathetic to my problem, and call me an idiot.

This is exactly what this mom did, but suddenly people treat her differently just because she's deaf and telling some sob story about wanting to go there with her daughter? How is that the promoters problem?
    Last edited by Krawu; 2018-01-24 at 07:03 PM.

So wheelchair bound people should provide their own ramps?
    If they want to access any and all buildings, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post

When I go to to a theater play in, say Hungary or Poland, I KNOW I'm not the target audience of the people who organized the event. I don't speak the language and won't understand a single sentence. So I ask them If they will provide an interpreter for those who don't speak their language, and they say no. I mean why would they, it'd be more expensive than just not having me as a patron, and why would they feel obligated to cater to some fringe group they never expected to turn up in the first place.

So now, after being told that I can bring my own interpreter if I feel I want one at the event, but I don't, attend anyways and then try to sue them for not having an interpreter just for me - if I did all of that - then people would rightly be unsympathetic to my problem, and call me an idiot.

This is exactly what this mom did, but suddenly people treat her differently just because she's deaf and telling some sob story about wanting to go there with her daughter? How is that the promoters problem?
    You can’t compare not knowing a countries language to having a disability. You’re are extremely unreasonable.

And it’s the promoters problem because the law dictates they provide reasonable accommodations for disable people. So they failed to comply.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    They did think of it.

It is possible to feel sound, and you already agreed that it wasn't an excessive cost to the promoter.
    Just because the cost is not excessive does not mean that you can demand that something is provided. I just don't understand why you would want to go to a concert if you cant hear it. If you can feel it fine, but can you sign a song? Possibly, but would that song have a beat? Would it really be any different from reading the Lyrics from a sheet of paper? I just feel like having someone sign a song to you is like someone just signing a sentence to you. It's like someone who cant walk turning up for an event and demanding that the organizer provide a wheel chair for them, the cost may not be excessive, but it's not on the organizer to provide something that you know in advance that you need and they don't provide. She could have just hired an interpreter herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Maybe not the majority - but many do. Ever heard of Ludwig van Beethoven for example?
    I have heard of Beethoven but he is very different. He wasn't always deaf so by the time he became deaf he had already experienced sound and composed music, it was his passion and when he went deaf he desperately wanted to continue so he found a way, but can you imagine him stood in the front row of a little mix concert with a pencil between his teeth, with it's tip resting the other end on the stage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Deleted
    This says everything about yourself really

Deleted
    I'm assuming you provide your own roads when you drive?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post

You can choose to learn the language.

I'm assuming you provide your own roads when you drive?
    How is that even relevant to ramps for private companies?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    True. My opinion doesn’t matter though since UK law dictates the promoter should have provided an interpreter. I just personally don’t believe the cost should fall on the promoter unless their is sufficient demand to cover the additional expense. I imagine it’s not cheap.

But I do need to re-evaluate as a disability shouldn’t be a reason for exclusion.
    It's cheap enough relative to venue size etc.

And the cost of the associated Streisand effect is hard to judge.

Ok, so you provide your own stairs?

Deleted
    It's only if he wants access to any and all buildings. Unless he's walking to the superbowl, theatre, airport or whatever.

Look, I appreciate English probably isn't your first language, and admittedly I'm English and even by hour standards rather dry but... I'm starting to think you're a bit dim.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the answer I wish I'd thought of to reply with.

No, I pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    Just because the cost is not excessive does not mean that you can demand that something is provided. I just don't understand why you would want to go to a concert if you cant hear it. If you can feel it fine, but can you sign a song? Possibly, but would that song have a beat? Would it really be any different from reading the Lyrics from a sheet of paper? I just feel like having someone sign a song to you is like someone just signing a sentence to you. It's like someone who cant walk turning up for an event and demanding that the organizer provide a wheel chair for them, the cost may not be excessive, but it's not on the organizer to provide something that you know in advance that you need and they don't provide. She could have just hired an interpreter herself.

I have heard of Beethoven but he is very different. He wasn't always deaf so by the time he became deaf he had already experienced sound and composed music, it was his passion and when he went deaf he desperately wanted to continue so he found a way, but can you imagine him stood in the front row of a little mix concert with a pencil between his teeth, with it's tip resting the other end on the stage?
    Despite being deaf the girl enjoys the music and likely having something in common with her sisters to share. She has a disability and is likely reaching out for any semblance of a way to fit in and feel normal and this could be that outlet for her. And they do have the right to demand something be provided because the law requires it. The article states there was an act passed in 2010 requiring the venue provide accommodation.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I pay for them.
    Yes I’m sure you’ve paid for all the stairs at all the places you go that have stairs.

It's only if he wants access to any and all buildings. Unless he's walking to the superbowl, theatre, airport or whatever.

Look, I appreciate English probably isn't your first language, and admittedly I'm English and even by hour standards rather dry but... I'm starting to think you're a bit dim.
    The government provides roads and maintenance through taxes, they don't provide stairs to private companies. The private companies build the stairs themselves and you pay for that when you deal with them.

Deleted
    The government provides roads and maintenance through taxes, they don't provide stairs to private companies. The private companies build the stairs themselves and you pay for that when you deal with them.
    Under the Equality Act 2010, any organisation supplying a service to the public is under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that a disabled person's experience is as close as possible to that of someone without a disability.

Yes I’m sure you’ve paid for all the stairs at all the places you go that have stairs.
    Do you think companies provide their products for sale for what they pay for them? No, they've added to it to profit to make up for their expenses and to make money. Building a ramp would only be a beneficial move if there were enough customers that need to use a ramp to make up for the costs.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-01-24 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    When I think of a concert, I think of events with hundreds or thousands of attendees. If that's the case. Paying one person to sign shouldn't be too excessive of a cost for a promoter.

Weird. When I think of a concert, I think of a generally audio-centric event that might not be an amazing time for a deaf person.

I don't see blind folks suing theaters because braille screenplays aren't provided.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Completely false equivalence. The baker DID provide those cake services. Just didn't want to provide it for gays specifically. This deaf woman was never banned from the concert for being deaf.
    He actually was happy to serve them any cake that they had available... just not all cakes that his guests know he doesn't provide. Not a completely false equivalence but I can play pretend if you'd like. For those who don't do their HW end up believing he doesn't serve Gay couples just because they are Gay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Weird. When I think of a concert, I think of a generally audio-centric event that might not be an amazing time for a deaf person.

I don't see blind folks suing theaters because braille screenplays aren't provided.
    But Blind people go to cinemas with Audio Description

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    But Blind people go to cinemas with Audio Description
    which are special showings, just for the blind. was this a special concert just for the deaf?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening