Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    You can choose to learn the language.
    That doesn't matter if I decide to go next week or even next month. Maybe with a year or two of studying the language I'll be able mitigate my disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    You can’t compare not knowing a countries language to having a disability. You’re are extremely unreasonable.

And it’s the promoters problem because the law dictates they provide reasonable accommodations for disable people. So they failed to comply.
    It's not reasonable to have an interpreter for deaf people at a concert. Show me any concert that routinely does this. Accommodations pertains to toilets and stairs, or do you see them handing out glasses at soccer games for short-sighted people and hearing aids before lectures at universities?

And yes, I can very much compare not speaking a language to being deaf because in the end, you don't understand what's being said either way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kasuke06 View Post
    which are special showings, just for the blind. was this a special concert just for the deaf?
    Kind of yeah, they already provided a interpreter for the main concert, the sueing is for for supporting acts which randomly wasn't provided for

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    It's not reasonable to have an interpreter for deaf people at a concert.
    But this did happen

Deleted
    That doesn't matter if I decide to go next week or even next month. Maybe with a year or two of studying the language I'll be able mitigate my disadvantage.

It's not reasonable to have an interpreter for deaf people at a concert. Show me any concert that routinely does this. Accommodations pertains to toilets and stairs, or do you see them handing out glasses at soccer games for short-sighted people and hearing aids before lectures at universities?

And yes, I can very much compare not speaking a language to being deaf because in the end, you don't understand what's being said either way.
    Are you really this dense? You can CHOOSE, someone with impaired hearing cannot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    But this did happen
    Still not reasonable. She could've just printed out the fucking lyrics if she wanted to know the songs. No reason to browbeat the promoters into blowing hundreds of pounds on an interpreter. And even after they caved and did that, she now has the gall to go on an all-out cash grab.

Are you really this dense? You can CHOOSE, someone with impaired hearing cannot.
    Dude, I can't CHOOSE to be able to speak fluent Polish within a week or month.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Not really, i've seen deaf people come to events just for a chance to feel the music coming out of speakers.
    Don't need an interpreter for that.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting that every deaf person I've ever met was a grand master at reading lips. So i don't understand why she couldn't just focus on the singer and read their lips?

Also I believe deaf people can more than enjoy a concert beyond the sounds. They can see the entertainment. And they can feel the vibrations of the bass. However that being said I find this whole thing to be completely asinine and screams attention whore.

I mean seriously you go to a concert which is about playing music to crowds of people at a loud volume. She lacks the one piece of equipment which would allow her to enjoy the main purpose of the concert. . . the music.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shifu View Post
    Interesting that every deaf person I've ever met was a grand master at reading lips. So i don't understand why she couldn't just focus on the singer and read their lips?

Also I believe deaf people can more than enjoy a concert beyond the sounds. They can see the entertainment. And they can feel the vibrations of the bass. However that being said I find this whole thing to be completely asinine and screams attention whore.

I mean seriously you go to a concert which is about playing music to crowds of people at a loud volume. She lacks the one piece of equipment which would allow her to enjoy the main purpose of the concert. . . the music.
    How many lip reading 6 years olds have you met?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    How is that even relevant to ramps for private companies?
    Again, back to the mandate stating that companies, businesses, etc... that are providing a service to the public need to ensure accommodations are made to make the experience (which would include making sure the people can actually get to the venue) is as close to the experience as possible.

Private or not. If you make a conscious decision to NOT build a ramp for people that need it for whatever reason, that's discrimination. The building code not allowing you to build a ramp is a different story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Do you think companies provide their products for sale for what they pay for them? No, they've added to it to profit to make up for their expenses and to make money. Building a ramp would only be a beneficial move if there were enough customers that need to use a ramp to make up for the costs.
    Except for the mandates and/or laws that require them to build one, if the building code allows for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not knowing a language is not a disability, and therefore isn't covered by the law/ mandates in regards to accommodations for the disabled.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the OP "Sally is deaf and booked for herself and two deaf friends to go with their daughters who are all able to hear."

What point exactly are you trying to make?

Also i've met a 7 year old girl last year in uganada who was deaf but could read my lips. I had a very nice conversation with her for about an hour. She struggled every now and again but she did understand me. So theres that? I know thats one more year then you said but its not an impossible reality.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

I think we've already established that @Freighter is a terrible person with no empathy for disabled people. It's useless trying to get through to her. Time to move on.

Not even relevant to the discussion. The people who were deaf in this instance were the mother and her deaf friends. The children could hear just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Nobody can understand half the lyrics to sign them anyway when they are always screaming the song
    they're probably too busy eating enough food for 6 people and too fat to stand anyway, if your food portion sizes are to be believed.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    they're probably too busy eating enough food for 6 people and too fat to stand anyway, if your food portion sizes are to be believed.
    I'm assuming that's a jab at the USA, which is funny, because the article is for a concert that occurred in the UK. So.... what's your point?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I'm assuming that's a jab at the USA, which is funny, because the article is for a concert that occurred in the UK. So.... what's your point?
    I think it was more a jab at Orlong

ROFL i would love to see how they interpret a rap song.

Is there a sign for nigga and hoes? honest question

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    A deaf person going to a concert is a lot like a blind person going to see a magician.
    Nah, its a lot like a blind person going to the movies, which they do all the time.

The concert still shouldn't be responsible for providing one though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dvaz View Post
    ROFL i would love to see how they interpret a rap song.

Is there a sign for nigga and hoes? honest question
    There's a sign for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    no it's at orlong because he believes the EU has a lack of food and suffers from malnutrition and tiny fingers while saying you should be entitled to eat until you're wheelchair bound.

why do we even entertain people that make such claims? all it does is set a precedence for more people to sit around and dream up ways to get offended for their own fame and free ride. a deaf person going to a concert should have zero expectations of hearing anything that the artists perform. otherwise everytime I open a book written in brail there had better be someone there to translate or im going to sue someone, somehow, someway, and win.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post

I have heard of Beethoven but he is very different. He wasn't always deaf so by the time he became deaf he had already experienced sound and composed music, it was his passion and when he went deaf he desperately wanted to continue so he found a way, but can you imagine him stood in the front row of a little mix concert with a pencil between his teeth, with it's tip resting the other end on the stage?
    Well, when his famous 9. symphony premiered, Ludwig was not able to hear the applause. he knew of course what orchestra and choir were doing and what it should sound like, but nothing else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite being deaf the girl enjoys the music and likely having something in common with her sisters to share. She has a disability and is likely reaching out for any semblance of a way to fit in and feel normal and this could be that outlet for her.
    You did read the article right? The girls are not deaf and can hear perfectly fine, it's the mothers that are deaf, there are no sisters involved, not sure where you got that, and they aren't trying to fit in and feel normal, they are there taking their daughters to a concert.

And they do have the right to demand something be provided because the law requires it. The article states there was an act passed in 2010 requiring the venue provide accommodation.
    That act has been taken far to literally. It states:

"any organisation supplying a service to the public is under a duty to make reasonable adjustments to ensure that a disabled person's experience is as close as possible to that of someone without a disability."

Its a concert. It's like an epileptic person turning up to a concert and demanding that they don't use any strobe lights because they are epileptic. What this woman did was act like a diva, she was not a fan of the band, the daughters are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.