Help Needed Gaming Desktop Parts.

Hello guys, long time no see .

Yesterday my pc decided to move on to greater adventures filled with binary codes.

Before we go any further:
    I have looked the last Build of The Month here at MMO-Champion.
    (I am assuming in this post that nothing really major came out since the last Build of the Month (November))

What do I need?
    A good gaming pc. Running games on the best graphics possible (Witcher 3, PUBG, BF1, GW2 and more)

What do I have?
    I already salvaged a
    • 850W M2 Silent Pro.
    • The Case
    • Geforce GTX 970
    • Soundcard
    • 1TB HDD

How much do I want to spend?
    It is not really about the money, but that doesn't mean I am rich and will buy anything cause that's definitely not the case.
    I already have some of the parts that amount to 1/3 of the Unicorn build cost.

I already decided that I will be buying: (unless talked out of xD)
    - SAMSUNG 850 Pro 512GB
    - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

And thats about it.

But a few questions remains:

How powerful is the Unicorn build?
    I see he recommends CPU Intel 7600K. Is there a reason why not i7? Cost-benefit?
    In the post he talks about Intel 8600K, and Z370 motherboard, I am thinking of going for those. Any reason why I shouldn't?

I am still taking recomendations about the parts even though I already "accepted" the Build of the Month suggestions as a whole pretty much.

I appreciate any help guys! Thanks in Advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    Yesterday my pc decided to move on to greater adventures filled with binary codes.
    What does this mean, exactly? It sounds like "motherboard died" but who knows. Some people replace their system because they can't remember their hotmail password.

- SAMSUNG 850 Pro 512GB
    Stick with the EVO. No real benefits for the pro except extended warranty which is, more often than not, a waste on SSDs

I see he recommends CPU Intel 7600K. Is there a reason why not i7? Cost-benefit?
    For straight gaming, more cost, low benefit

In the post he talks about Intel 8600K, and Z370 motherboard, I am thinking of going for those. Any reason why I shouldn't?
    Not really. 8600K is pretty much just better.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Only thing atm you would really want to do is buy a new MoBo/CPU and maybe a new PSU. Problem right now for graphics card is pricing is a gigantic mess. Z370 / 8600K or B350 / 1600 are the choices I'd pick. It also depends on if you want to overclock, if you don't, an 8400 would work in place.

No point in a 850 Pro really. There's not a lot that you gain from normal usages. I'd take a look at Crucial MX500 or the EVO one if you're partial to Samsung. MX500 has partial power loss protection which basically means during sudden outages it won't lose or corrupt data that's written. There are tiny capacitors there that keep a charge for the SSD to not do a sudden shut off.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2018-01-24 at 11:44 AM.

get a i7 8600K or i7 8700K if you plan to overclock and an i5 8400 if you dont

970 should be good for 1080p gaming, but if you feel you want more fps/ultra settigns etc. - upgrade toa GTX 1070 or 1070Ti .. although I would wait for Nvidias next gen GPUs to come out (earliest for that would be ~May-June 2018, but its not certain)

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    What does this mean, exactly? It sounds like "motherboard died" but who knows. Some people replace their system because they can't remember their hotmail password.
    There was a big power surge (I think that's the name) here where I live North Canada with the snow storms and stuff. My desktop and my GFs Toaster were the casualties. I just didn't explain cause it wasn't really part of the "problem" as there isn't much I can do but to steal computer parts from my GFs Desktop.

The rest makes sense. Thanks for the answers !
    ----
    @Remilia
    Yo! Yeah, I think thats the only 2 things I will buy for now. It makes sense, I don't really want to mess with overclocking for now but I will probably buy it so I can try it in the future . My last one was i7-3820, but it fried . I will take a look at Crucial MX500, I saw it when I was researching yesterday but I didn't recognize the name so I wasn't sure if it would be a good pick.

Thank you for your time! I remember you from when I was more active around here ^^.
    ----
    @Life-Binder

Yeah, I think the 970 can hold for a few months for the newer stuff. Otherwise I will just spend too much. I will most likely go with the i7 8600k.

Thank you for the time you took to answer

---

Thank you all! I think this is enough for me to go on and just do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    you may want a new psu if your old computer had a power surge fyi

GTX970 Should be running games like Watch Dogs and Witcher