Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    in today's PC culture this probably a sure fire win for her, and all future concerts will be required to have one, and show them on large screen to make it easier to see.
    They've used interpreters for a while now in concerts. Yes they might not be able to hear the music, but they can still feel it. When one of your senses is gone, to a degree the others become more heightened. You and I have no clue what their experience is like, but I'm not gunna be egocentric about it and claim there's no possible way to enjoy a concert as a deaf person.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

7+ Year Old Account
    Interesting conversation here. I'm deaf person and unfortunately I don't live in U.K. but maybe I can give some insight on this.

Deaf people, regardless of their hearing loss level (ranging from light hearing loss to profoundly deaf) can still enjoy music. For those who have light hearing loss, might have some difficulty hearing the lyrics. For those who are profoundly deaf wouldn't be able to hear any of lyrics at all or hear much. This is in ordinary setting.

In places like concert, where there is extremely large speakers at ridiculous volume. We can easily feel the music and even "hear" the music noise but we have no ability to understand the lyrics. I can feel music as long the volume is turned up enough in any setting even though I'm profoundly deaf since birth.

So, deaf folks, regardless of their hearing loss can still enjoy the feeling and vibrations of the music. For the ladies that was attending the concert, herself and two of them brought the tickets, and then contacted the concert hosts ahead of time to let them know that they will need hire interpreters to accommodate them. If she had contacted them like... day before, then their reaction would be reasonable. But if it was full month or several weeks before the concert then I don't see why they can't do it themselves and provide interpreter for their clients who brought their tickets and are coming to their concert.

Telling them to hire and bring their own interpreter, in my eyes, is like telling folks with wheelchair to build their own ramp with their own money and roll in. As long there is reasonable timeframe of informing sponsors/hosts/etc that this person need interpreter/any other form of accessibility, I don't see any reason why they can't put little more money. In this case of concert, where they've already spent thousands on stage, lighting, equipment, paying the band, and more. What's like... few hundred more bucks is?

That's my thoughts on this matter. Just know that deaf folks can enjoy music and shouldn't be labelled as 'stupid' or 'retarded' for going concerts. Everyone have their own hobbies and enjoyments in life, regardless of your disabilities, unique needs, respect them. If accommodation is needed, as long it is reasonable and not last minute&too costly for the sponsors, I don't see why it is a problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see them try interpret this:

There is a chance that interpreter might commit suicide, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    You live in Chicago, you really shouldn't go there.
    And which big city is better? Boston? Pfttt.

http://www.areaconnect.com/crime/com...=Chicago&s2=IL

Dont' believe what Trump and the media tell you about Chicago. It's just as safe for white people here as it is anywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post

Dont' believe what Trump and the media tell you about Chicago. It's just as safe for white people here as it is anywhere.
    Did you seriously just use 12 year old data to try and make a point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Closed captions are not for blind people. You know this.
    I didn't say they were, the glasses also serve a function for the blind. They have more than one purpose. Blind people and deaf people use the glasses for different reasons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Did you seriously just use 12 year old data to try and make a point?
    You think Boston got safer in the last 12 years, or that there has been major changes in the crime rates? I doubt it.

Remove the light show and see how many people bother to show up.
    remove the drugs and see how many people would bother to show up

OT: I'm wondering how exactly would she want the interpreter provided by concert organizer be handled. 1 interpreter on the stage? on the jumbotron? or maybe 1 for every group of deaf persons going there? Tbh, I don't think a deaf person going to a concert is that strange of a thing, especially if it is something loud with deep bass lines so that they can feel the vibrations. That being said, I think providing a free ticket for an interpreter of her choice should be more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    Reminds me of this time I was on a cruise and I saw there was a group of blind people on it.
    Care to explain what's wrong with that? Not all blind people want to sit in their homes sulking about how they are blind. Some live a very active life and want to experience stuff. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean you can enjoy it. Blind people can enjoy way more things than you would imagine. Cruise being definitely one of them. The sea air, the waves, the wind, bars, ... My ex is a carer for the blind. Helping her on some of the events they organized (especially the one where we went to a race track and let the blind people drive there) was a very eye opening experience for me. Especially walking around the block blindfolded with just audio instructions and white cane.
    Last edited by h4rr0d; 2018-01-25 at 11:21 AM.

I guess this is where the phrase "deaf and dumb" comes from.

Bwahahaha..

She whines that she wants an interperter. She gets one for the main act! and is still angry O_O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Danare View Post
    Interesting conversation here. I'm deaf person and unfortunately I don't live in U.K. but maybe I can give some insight on this.

Deaf people, regardless of their hearing loss level (ranging from light hearing loss to profoundly deaf) can still enjoy music. For those who have light hearing loss, might have some difficulty hearing the lyrics. For those who are profoundly deaf wouldn't be able to hear any of lyrics at all or hear much. This is in ordinary setting.

In places like concert, where there is extremely large speakers at ridiculous volume. We can easily feel the music and even "hear" the music noise but we have no ability to understand the lyrics. I can feel music as long the volume is turned up enough in any setting even though I'm profoundly deaf since birth.

So, deaf folks, regardless of their hearing loss can still enjoy the feeling and vibrations of the music. For the ladies that was attending the concert, herself and two of them brought the tickets, and then contacted the concert hosts ahead of time to let them know that they will need hire interpreters to accommodate them. If she had contacted them like... day before, then their reaction would be reasonable. But if it was full month or several weeks before the concert then I don't see why they can't do it themselves and provide interpreter for their clients who brought their tickets and are coming to their concert.

Telling them to hire and bring their own interpreter, in my eyes, is like telling folks with wheelchair to build their own ramp with their own money and roll in. As long there is reasonable timeframe of informing sponsors/hosts/etc that this person need interpreter/any other form of accessibility, I don't see any reason why they can't put little more money. In this case of concert, where they've already spent thousands on stage, lighting, equipment, paying the band, and more. What's like... few hundred more bucks is?

That's my thoughts on this matter. Just know that deaf folks can enjoy music and shouldn't be labelled as 'stupid' or 'retarded' for going concerts. Everyone have their own hobbies and enjoyments in life, regardless of your disabilities, unique needs, respect them. If accommodation is needed, as long it is reasonable and not last minute&too costly for the sponsors, I don't see why it is a problem.
    Why should the company pay for someone only 1 guest will use? There is no logic in that financially.
    Also they did get her a interpreter for the main part of it, just not for the small acts before hand.
    It sounds like the only reason she went is to is to sue them for a nice pay day or some hours in the spot light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Very true - but remains an example that being deaf doesn't stop someone being interested in and experiencing music.

- - - Updated - - -

Simple: The current law implies they they should do. This is what this lawsuit stands on. The only question is "did they do enough to satisfy the law?"
    The problem is that the law is vague. It just says that companies offering a service must provide a reasonable accommodation to disabled people. What is reasonable to one person may seem unreasonable to another, so it will be up to the courts I guess to decide if having to pay thousands of Euros/pounds to pay an interpreter is reasonable or not. And if the deaf woman is watching the interpreter is she even watching the show? The interpreter isn't going to be on stage right next to the singer so she cant have her eyes on the show and interpreter at same time. My opinion is that it isn't reasonable and she is just looking for a big payday.

If she is deaf, how does she even know what kind of music this artist plays and how does she know if she even likes it. It could be Barry Manilow, Dead Mou5e, Snoop Dog, Manheim Steamroller, or Gwar on stage and she wouldn't know the difference if she's just watching the interpreter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrStiglit View Post
    As you stated, within a year or two you may be able to mitigate the disadvantage. A deaf person can never learn to hear.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, I’ll admit I misread that completely. I got the names mixed up and I was thinking the girl was Sally and the mom was Cate. I meant friends not sisters. I was reading it as a mother taking the deaf girl and her friends to the concert...

Now she seems like a diva... I did get the impression from the article though that they originally were not going to provide an interpreter but once she got a lawyer they changed their mind which made me believe it was due to the Act. Did I misread that part as well?
    Or they just caved because it was cheaper to provide an interpreter than it would be to hire a team of lawyers to prove that providing an interpreter was unreasonable and they would not need to do it under the law

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    And seeing the words signed and the thump of the music and all the fans and the energy of the venue... There's a lot more to a concert than the specifics of the noise coming from the speakers. People can go to whatever for whatever reason, it has as much bearing on this argument as the cost of tea in China.

You claiming that you can dictate what people are allowed to get enjoyment from and how much is just flat wrong.

In case you didn't see my original post, I don't think the venue owes her anything. She should have brought her own interpeteror if she wanted one.
    The signing of the lyrics and the music wont be in sync so she couldn't "hear" the song anyway. She may as well just read the lyrics on paper while feeling the bass from the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Humpty Doo View Post
    Metallica never have sign language people standing on the side of the stage hand signalling the Lyrics.
    They could just have someone with long black hair standing there, gritting their teeth, and holding up their middle finger for 2 hours.
    Leadsop - Beast Mastery Hunter
    <Godz of War> Sargeras - US

Leadsoprano - Gunnery Trooper
    Leadmello - Kinetic Combat Jedi Shadow
    <Severity Gaming> Prophecy of the Five - US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I think I'm going to take my blind friend to an art museum and then sue them because they don't have vision interpretors for the visually impaired!
    Exactly this, as unfortunate as it is, people with certain disabilities just cannot experience certain things the same way as those without disabilities, its not discrimination its just unfortunate and no amount of suing venues/organisations/people will grant the experience you are missing out on. When someone organizes a concert they don't even think to get an interpreter for all the deaf people they don't expect to turn up, it's illogical to assume deaf people will show up to a music show.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    The Horde is the West, the Allies are the Soviets (kind of makes more sense the other way around, but I'm Horde and I didn't want to be the commies in this metaphor.. For the Horde!) and the Legion are the Nazis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    A person who is saying "You need a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun" sounds like someone who wants to sell 2 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawu View Post
    They might learn to read lips or to look up the fucking lyrics online though.
    Yea you’re right. I’ve def turned my opinion of this situation around.

Do you know something that's safer than any city in the US? Singapore. So why exactly are you saying Singapore is not civilized?
    Last edited by Freighter; 2018-01-25 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Do you know something that's safer than any city in the US? Singapore.
    Well that's because Singapore is awesome.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Do you know something that's safer than any city in the US? Singapore. So why exactly are you saying Singapore is not civilized?
    well, a lot of places in the world is safer than USA, sadly (for USA)

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope she gets slapped with the legal fees from both sides.

Great job of her reintroducing the "dumb" into the outdated phrase "deaf and dumb."

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I think I'm going to take my blind friend to an art museum
    The Art Institute of Chicago would welcome you and your friend (scroll down): http://www.artic.edu/visit/accessibility

Or maybe MoMA in NYC: https://www.moma.org/visit/accessibility/sight

I'm sure I could find tons of others but those were the first two I checked and both had something for the blind.