Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    I would say doomsday conditions were even higher before the 20th century because agricultural and medical variables were not as well understood, making famine and plague not just a possible freak accident, but common occurrences. Also there was near constant wide spread warfare before Pax Americana.
    But that would be local and thus not a doomsday condition

Deleted
    Its been close to midnight for decades.

Are we getting this Apocalypse going or not?

Only idiots actually believe nuclear war will happen

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    But that would be local and thus not a doomsday condition
    The premise is that big enough local ripples could end civilization across the globe. But it's true that even something like nuclear war (2k+ detonations) would not inhabit the globe inert to civilization, it would just make it harder and accessible arable land would go down.

The phrases like "We have enough nukes to destroy every human 100 times" is based on distributions of people, nukes, and fallout that don't match reality.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's pretty sad how many posters have no fucking clue what the Doomsday Clock and the people who run it are all about.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    This is a great way to get people to waste money.

Quote Originally Posted by For_The_Horde View Post
    Damnit, you were faster than me!
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous" he said.

- Ogvai, 6th legiones Astartes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Levaustian View Post
    It's having the opposite effect, I just want to see it hit 12.
    You and me both, I'm hyped lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Queue's up Iron Maiden's "Two Minutes to Midnight" puts on loop, and grabs a bottle of Scotch, I'm ready.

My only reaction to this is a desire to reread and or watch Watchmen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    21st century stats are safer yet doom is nigh, doesn't make any sense.
    Not sure if you read the article at all... or understand what it is.

In 1918, what were the chances of us blowing ourselves to hell with nuclear weapons? Prettttty close to none... since they didn't exist back then.

Right now, we're closer than almost ever. It has nothing to do with healthy or comfort. It has to do with us surviving as a species.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    This is a great way to get people to waste money.
    Howso? I don't get the connection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    It’s been at 2 mins to midnight, or thereabouts, since the last mass extinction. If you worry too much about when your going to die, wtf is the point of living?
    I'm confused. What are you talking about? Unless the 'last mass extinction' to you was 1953
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Howso? I don't get the connection.
    Scare tactics to get people to spend money on things they don't need. It's incredibly common in marketing. If you haven't heard of it you are probably the type of person large corporations exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    the doomsday clock is stupid.
    This, the people left running it are no doubt only useful idiots using it for political points. Their website has already listed that one of the previous changes was for "Climate change" ..... what, how the fuck does that influence nuclear war.

"OoOh LoOK TrUMp MaDe ThE ClOcK Go uP!"

"Bulletin member Lawrence Krauss said."
    It's a damn shame that someone as smart as Lawrence Krauss who I respect a lot for his public promotion of science, reason, skepticism and criticism of religion, is also some kind of fear mongering political activist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Colactic View Post
    Scare tactics to get people to spend money on things they don't need. It's incredibly common in marketing. If you haven't heard of it you are probably the type of person large corporations exploit.
    Spend money on -what-? Its something that was designed by science experts to have a grasp on what kind of climate we're in politically.

Though, I do appreciate you making broad, sweeping assumptions about people while knowing virtually nothing about them.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

7+ Year Old Account
    Go to war again, blood is freedom's stain. But don't you pray for my soul anymore...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by provaporous View Post
    Their website has already listed that one of the previous changes was for "Climate change" ..... what, how the fuck does that influence nuclear war.
    You realize it's not JUST in regard to nuclear war, right?

A lot of gong banging here from people who have no clue what they're talking about....

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Not sure if you read the article at all... or understand what it is.

In 1918, what were the chances of us blowing ourselves to hell with nuclear weapons? Prettttty close to none... since they didn't exist back then.

Right now, we're closer than almost ever. It has nothing to do with healthy or comfort. It has to do with us surviving as a species.
    There's also the game theory argument that nukes are a peace promoting invention. Because attacking nations could come out ahead if they had a moderate military advantage that gave them access to more resources with minimal losses.

But with SLBMs nobody can leverage a moderate advantage into a net gain. Unless you can guarantee where all the subs are and the anti-ballistics works perfectly.
    Last edited by PC2; 2018-01-25 at 10:06 PM.

Hasn't it been there since the '80s?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    the doomsday clock is stupid.
    I kind of agree.

I mean what makes the clock move? Is it certain events that happen? Is it a collection of events that happen? Is it a passing of a certain amount of days/months/years? Like what makes them think "well, looks like we have to move it up one minute". Like who the fuck came up with this nonsense?