Thread: Critical Role

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    She was also Mel Gibson's daughter in What Women Want! And the voice of what's-her-face in The Last of Us.

Anyways, she actually is in the cast of an active TV show. Last campaign, she was the party's cleric, before she got her gig on Blindspot, and having the party's cleric constantly missing due to filming was kind of a pain in the ass (though no one blames her, she got a spot on a network television show). I think it's wise that she rolled a barbarian this campaign so she can easily drop in/drop out when she's back in L.A. Having an inconsistent cleric is the pits.
    The concept that she's a barbarian and will miss sessions reminds me of the Gamers. Have you seen that move?

Having a not 100% attendance person is the pits if the way you handle it is that their character just isn't there when the player isn't there. I've been in games where an absent player has someone else run their character so the character isn't absent. It's not a perfect solution (nothing would be), but we found it preferable to weird story excuses for a character's sudden disappearance.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    The concept that she's a barbarian and will miss sessions reminds me of the Gamers. Have you seen that move?

Having a not 100% attendance person is the pits if the way you handle it is that their character just isn't there when the player isn't there. I've been in games where an absent player has someone else run their character so the character isn't absent. It's not a perfect solution (nothing would be), but we found it preferable to weird story excuses for a character's sudden disappearance.
    Our group explains it as they spent the session in the outhouse, recovering from an upset stomach.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Our group explains it as they spent the session in the outhouse, recovering from an upset stomach.
    LOL love it

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    And then that other player does something silly (not on purpose) and the amazing rogue with the ludicrous ability rolls ends up a kobold arrow pin cushion and is set on fire.

Nah, I'll stick to them disappearing, at least for combat encounters. And if it is a small group and those things are likely to happen, I let everyone have a cohort that they can ONLY bring if someone is missing.
    Well I did say it wasn't a perfect solution

Honestly, the best approach is probably for a group to decide how they want to handle it in advance of an absence. I'm sure each group has different preferences.

This is the thing, many groups might say it's OK for that character to be played by a friend for that session. I mean that's xp and chances at gear. But if something happens to your character while in the care of another, you are likely going to be less than happy about it. At some point the GM needs to make decisions.
    Well, yeah, that chance exists and that chance can be discussed up front when a group is up for having a plan for other people to play a character if someone can't attend. It's basically weighing pros vs cons and what the group is comfortable with.

Unsure i understand the connection between your last comment and the rest of what you said?

I mean that the GM should decide how certain things are handled in their games and communicate them clearly to the group. And while I agree that you can have a conversation beforehand, I've seen people get very attached to their characters and just because they agreed to something doesn't mean they'll stop making bitter jokes about it making someone uncomfortable a year later
    Ah got ya. Yeah, ideally the GM knows the players well enough to know if what the players decide will bite them later, otherwise it's safer to just establish how it will work to avoid problems down the line.

I mean I am only making the argument because it happened to me twice in my campaigns.
    That sucks

LOL love it

Well I did say it wasn't a perfect solution

Honestly, the best approach is probably for a group to decide how they want to handle it in advance of an absence. I'm sure each group has different preferences.
    I think having Matt play as Ashley's character was a good choice. He used her as needed to not hinder the group entirely, but he also made sure he wasn't meta-gaming with his knowledge of the campaign.

As I told my players after that near TPK, kobolds are smart. You do not fight kobolds when they have the terrain advantage, in a tight trap-filled tunnel that you can barely squeeze through. I am not a baby sitter GM, if you do something obviously idiotic, you die.
    Lol indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    I think having Matt play as Ashley's character was a good choice. He used her as needed to not hinder the group entirely, but he also made sure he wasn't meta-gaming with his knowledge of the campaign.
    That makes sense. I'm only 2/3rds through the first episode, but so far her character's personality seems conducive to being present but in the background, if that made sense.

Lol indeed

That makes sense. I'm only 2/3rds through the first episode, but so far her character's personality seems conducive to being present but in the background, if that made sense.
    It definitely does. I'm speaking more in terms of last campaign. I feel like she definitely kept in mind that she may not be there every week when she decided upon her character.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    I'm still on Episode 87. Aside from one-shots, I like to watch things in order, so we'll find out once I get there!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    I'm still on Episode 87. Aside from one-shots, I like to watch things in order, so we'll find out once I get there!
    Only 28 more to go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Episode three tonight! Hype!
    Leafcast - <Don't Laugh At My Giraffe> Proudmoore

I think Critical Role is both good and bad. Good in that it has gotten more people interested in D&D, and bad because some of those people shouldn't be playing a cooperative storytelling game. Also bad in that some people have the grossly horrible impression that if you aren't as good as Matt Mercer is at DMing, you are shit. Having your game, decisions, and DMing capabilities/style compared to Critical Role is not a fun experience.

Since this is a new campaign, I may attempt to watch it. Maybe I can act like it's a movie and be able to watch it for 3 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by mathezar View Post
    Episode three tonight! Hype!
    When does it go live?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    When does it go live?
    I believe it's live on Twitch 7PST, 10 EST. The youtube version usually becomes available the following Monday/Tuesday. You can watch the twitch rebroadcast if you have twitch prime or subscribe. I'm not sure about Alpha, the other platform the show is on.
    Leafcast - <Don't Laugh At My Giraffe> Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by mathezar View Post
    I believe it's live on Twitch 7PST, 10 EST. The youtube version usually becomes available the following Monday/Tuesday. You can watch the twitch rebroadcast if you have twitch prime or subscribe. I'm not sure about Alpha, the other platform the show is on.
    Too late for me

Will wait for the youtube vid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    I think Critical Role is both good and bad. Good in that it has gotten more people interested in D&D, and bad because some of those people shouldn't be playing a cooperative storytelling game. Also bad in that some people have the grossly horrible impression that if you aren't as good as Matt Mercer is at DMing, you are shit. Having your game, decisions, and DMing capabilities/style compared to Critical Role is not a fun experience.

Since this is a new campaign, I may attempt to watch it. Maybe I can act like it's a movie and be able to watch it for 3 hours.
    What? Being good at something is bad because people aren't as good as you? That's a pretty stupid statement. Also who are you saying shouldn't be playing coop storytelling games?

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    What? Being good at something is bad because people aren't as good as you? That's a pretty stupid statement. Also who are you saying shouldn't be playing coop storytelling games?
    No, being good at something is not bad because people aren't as good. I am saying that I have come across quite a few people complaining about a DM because he wasn't as good as Matt Mercer. That is bad, comparing someone against Matt Mercer. It's like comparing an amateur artist to a professional animator and saying the amateur is crap and should just stop because they aren't as good as the professional.

As for your 2nd question: The socially retarded mouthbreathing neckbeards who want to rape any female NPC (or PC). Bonus points if there's actually a female player among the more populace male players. The ones who make any social interactions uncomfortable and unpleasant with their horrific "personalities".

So, I just started watching the series two days ago. I'm working from the first episode forward (holy shit, I'm going to be watching forever). I'm really loving this show, it's so fun! It genuinely brightens my day, and it's made me re-approach the idea of jumping into a campaign somewhere. I'm thinking about picking up the latest edition and finding a local group to play with... not sure where to find them though hah.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    No, being good at something is not bad because people aren't as good. I am saying that I have come across quite a few people complaining about a DM because he wasn't as good as Matt Mercer. That is bad, comparing someone against Matt Mercer. It's like comparing an amateur artist to a professional animator and saying the amateur is crap and should just stop because they aren't as good as the professional.

As for your 2nd question: The socially retarded mouthbreathing neckbeards who want to rape any female NPC (or PC). Bonus points if there's actually a female player among the more populace male players. The ones who make any social interactions uncomfortable and unpleasant with their horrific "personalities".
    But none of that is the fault of CR? People will always compare themselves to the best, no matter what the subject. CR also can't control who is getting interested in the game by their exposure. You're saying that Critical Role is good and bad, and using things that aren't really related to them to justify the bad. I don't even see those kinds of players as bad for the game. You choose the group you play with. If that's how they and their friends have fun with the game, whatever. It's not like they join other people's games and grief them. If the DM doesn't want that kind of player, they can tell them to not come back.