10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    Are broadcast requirements different than watching a stream? I could watch 720p videos from Youtube with my previous ISP on slow as shit DSL (5.5 down / <1 up). If you're in the 25+ range, then I'd think you'd be able to stream 1080p, honestly. You didn't specify the fps, either, which would have an effect, too.

To think the FCC wants to drop the standards for high speed broadband from 25 Mbps to 10 Mbps... *shakes head*
    In a ISDB-T digital TV system, each broadcasted channel will be around 23 Mbps on a 64QAM modulation and 5.6MHz bandwidth. The streams usually consist of MPEG-2 (or MPEG-4/AVC in newer implementations of the standard) 720p/1080i video with AAC audio.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the prices of video cards go sky high again, this time taking even the 1080Tis as victim.

15+ Year Old Account
    No! OG YouTube app is dead, it was so useful....
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    What's your worst thing you did to a computer in your life?

I can think of two: one, accidentally causing my computer to light itself on fire or the time when i was really young and though that the root of C was so cluttered with all of those files like command.com, autoexec.sys, config.sys, etc., and deleted them all...

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What's your worst thing you did to a computer in your life?

I can think of two: one, accidentally causing my computer to light itself on fire or the time when i was really young and though that the root of C was so cluttered with all of those files like command.com, autoexec.sys, config.sys, etc., and deleted them all...
    Honestly? Nothin'.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    <snip: that was more personally identifying than I'd like>
    It was a cool story btw

It's a shame that we live in a time where it makes a lot of sense to keep your personal life separated from work, and both of those distant from your online presence, but that's the way it goes.

Totally unrelated, anybody have any interest in a live-stream (or something) for building a chip-8 vm/emulator?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHIP-8

I've been thinking about doing it to get better with Rust or maybe to try out Go for simple graphical applications. If you're not a huge nerd, I think you can learn a lot about the way computers actually work by writing a VM / interpreter / emulator but for people who aren't programmers or don't have a lot of confidence in their abilities that kind of task can seem really daunting.

I'm bringing it up as a topic I might try to do for a conference talk later this year.
    I'd be interested in watching that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The apparently WD Green 1TB HDD that was in my parents' Gateway computer from 2009 has finally entered its final rotations.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    <snip: that was more personally identifying than I'd like>

TLDR version: the CEO of Apple lied and said I make nice latté art today.
    Speaking of.
    https://twitter.com/WeebishVibe/stat...208192/photo/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    By the time you get /that/ kind of latte art, your drink is basically already cold.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    By the time you get /that/ kind of latte art, your drink is basically already cold.
    Maybe they're very good and do it very quick? I have no idea, lol.

Coffee exists for dipping chocolate biscuits in it, if stuff gets in the way of the biscuit I'm rampaging

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Maybe they're very good and do it very quick? I have no idea, lol.
    I'll believe it if I see them do it fast, but trust me when I say it's super complicated and requires a lot of extra hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Coffee exists for dipping chocolate biscuits in it, if stuff gets in the way of the biscuit I'm rampaging
    Well... the dark spots on the foam? That's espresso. :P
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll believe it if I see them do it fast, but trust me when I say it's super complicated and requires a lot of extra hassle.
    Here on the internet we just say gitgud, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got a ticket today while driving. /lesigh.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Got a ticket today while driving. /lesigh.
    Thus why I like Taiwan, I can walk everywhere. Though the pollution (although better than many years ago) is still bad.

After digging through miles of comments, it turns out my update issues (I can't update my main machine to 1703 or 1709) for Windows 10 are because the updater can't "see" samsung NVMe drives when it is looking for the device with the windows boot manager.

1: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-c4b09983e4f0
    2: https://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10...snag-for-some/

I'm guessing they forgot to include an nVMe driver in the initial boot. Good job, Microsoft :/

If I'm going to have to re-install anyway I might as well wait for the 2018 spring update, as that's only 2 months out.

The temptation is rather large to take the option "F9: Use a different operating system" literally, and not how microsoft thought ...
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2018-01-27 at 11:35 AM.

The temptation is rather large to take the option "F9: Use a different operating system" literally, and not how microsoft thought ...
    During my next computer refresh, I'm thinking about doing something similar - either dual booting between Linux / Windows or possibly running Windows in a VM with hardware pass through. (I saw a video about the latter somewhere on Youtube, and it sounded like you could minimize a lot of the overhead that way. Still, both options seem like they could be a hassle.) I've never run Linux at home, so that's a little intimidating. In either case, I feel like I'd need to have Windows in some capacity for playing games.

I'm still waiting to see what AMD has to offer with Ryzen 2 and what the next generation of GPUs will look like (11xx or 20xx, whichever series Nvidia goes with, AMD hasn't gotten competitive enough for me).

On the plus side I got a raise and—more importantly—a 'top up' of RSUs to keep me chained to this job another year. That's a bit ahead of schedule, so I guess I'm probably not getting fired.
    Were you worried about being fired?

Quote Originally Posted by Alindra View Post
    During my next computer refresh, I'm thinking about doing something similar - either dual booting between Linux / Windows or possibly running Windows in a VM with hardware pass through. (I saw a video about the latter somewhere on Youtube, and it sounded like you could minimize a lot of the overhead that way. Still, both options seem like they could be a hassle.) I've never run Linux at home, so that's a little intimidating. In either case, I feel like I'd need to have Windows in some capacity for playing games.
    IIRC playing games in a Windows VM while passing through the dGPU means you need an iGPU for the host OS (so no luck for x99/299 or ryzen because no iGPU). And if I'm going to have to do shenanigans with VMs and PCI-E passthrough (which does still incur latency etc) then I might as well stick it out with Windows (and that is what Microsoft has been banking on with gamers for the last 20 years, that we can't be arsed figuring out and implementing workarounds).
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2018-01-27 at 07:11 PM.

IIRC playing games in a Windows VM while passing through the dGPU means you need an iGPU for the host OS (so no luck for x99/299 or ryzen because no iGPU). And if I'm going to have to do shenanigans with VMs and PCI-E passthrough (which does still incur latency etc) then I might as well stick it out with Windows (and that is what Microsoft has been banking on with gamers for the last 20 years, that we can't be arsed figuring out and implementing workarounds).
    I'm not surprised it's not completely free; I'd be curious to know what the specific overhead is. I forgot about those chips not having an iGPU. That could be gotten around by having a second GPU (even a cheapo one), but at that point, I'd start asking if the ease of use would be worth the extra cost (hardware and power consumption).

As for workarounds... ideally we'd have games with more cross platform support. Open standards like Vulkan are definitely a start (way to go id for using that on Doom), but if the largest market share for PC gaming is on Windows (and you also can use a similar graphics API for XBOX), then there isn't much incentive to make games Linux compatible. Users probably aren't going to migrate first without a wider game library to play, so it's a chicken and egg problem.