Thread: Oscars 2018

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunika123 View Post
    isnt setting the standard for something that's still emualted 20 years later impressive?

dont get me wrong, I appreciate dunkirk for trying to do something different, I just think they failed in the attempt. Simply because Nolan's thing has always been intricate plots and great characters with heart. all of which dunkirk lacks. IT almost feels like an overcorrection from him, to try to do something he never does. But the end product clearly reflects just that.

as for hacksaw ridge, I agree with you that it's great(except maybe for the slightly cartoonish ending montage), but what did it do that's so different? I thought it was a perfectly well executed war movie, but it didnt break any new ground.

yes it's the sort of thing that sounds great on paper, but what ultimately ends up happening is that you have no reason to care what happens in the movie.

lyou either care about the movie to find out what happens in the end because the story and the plot are so gripping
    or you care about the characters and what they go through.

dunkirk doesnt have a gripping plot, nor does it have any interesting characters. so why would I care?
    I care on a deeper level. Honestly, it is cheap to think that I have to know the backstory and personality of a couple of people to care about the survival and evacuation of hundreds of thousands of young boys. Dunkirk asks you to care on the level of ideas and not persons. That won't work for everybody, but it worked for me.

It would be wrong to make it seem like the heroic story of Billy Bob surviving the event. Dunkirk was not about a couple of heroes, but a lot of people coming together to make an effort to survive another day. It's about smaller moments of heroism that aren't bolded and cheered on by the masses.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2018-01-26 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I care on a deeper level. Honestly, it is cheap to think that I have to know the backstory and personality of a couple of people to care about the survival and evacuation of hundreds of thousands of young boys. Dunkirk asks you to care on the level of ideas and not persons. That won't work for everybody, but it worked for me.
    but it's not real, it's a movie, I wont care about fake characters JUST because they're representing real ones.
    by that logic it might as well be a 100 million dollar budget documentary.

I get that you liked it, but acting like it's some sort of super deep thing, that flies over most people's heads is just dumb.

dunkirk is basically a thinking man's transformers. where it's a big spectacle just executed in a sophisticated and competent way.
    but thinking it's anything other than that borderlines on pretentious.

It would be wrong to make it seem like the heroic story of Billy Bob surviving the event. Dunkirk was not about a couple of heroes, but a lot of people coming together to make an effort to survive another day. It's about smaller moments of heroism that aren't bolded and cheered on by the masses.
    I didnt need that, I didnt want a heroic story, I wanted A story. I think nolan stretched himself too thin on this one. tried to focus on too many things. the movie couldve been about tom hardy's character, and his sacrifice, but it wasnt because we dont know anything about him.

it couldve been about tommy's journey, but it wasnt because he doesnt really change.

and it couldve been about the civilian boat but it wasnt because they just didnt get enough time to develop either.

the movie lacks focus.

it couldve been about all 3 of them at once really if you want to do the whole "smaller heroes everywhere" thing, BUT WE STILL NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THOSE CHARACTERS.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-26 at 03:45 AM.

but it's not real, it's a movie, I wont care about fake characters JUST because they're representing real ones.
    by that logic it might as well be a 100 million dollar budget documentary.

I get that you liked it, but acting like it's some sort of super deep thing, that flies over most people's heads is just dumb.

dunkirk is basically a thinking man's transformers. where it's a big spectacle just executed in a sophisticated and competent way.
    but thinking it's anything other than that borderlines on pretentious.
    Depth is in the eye of the beholder. One thinking they are smarter than the movie seems more pretentious to me.

Depth is in the eye of the beholder. One thinking they are smarter than the movie seems more pretentious to me.
    I dont think I'm smarter than the movie, I think the movie is very smart, at least from the technical point.

As I said, I appreciate the movie on many many levels. that's why I'm so frustrated by it.

because if they actually written a good story with good characters behind all this fantastically executed audiovisual experience.
    it probably wouldve been one of my favourite movies ever made.

The incredible amount of potential in it, is what upsets me.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-26 at 03:56 AM.

I dont think I'm smarter than the movie, I think the movie is very smart, at least from the technical point.

As I said, I appreciate the movie on many many levels. that's why I'm so frustrated by it.

because if they actually written a good story with good characters behind all this fantastically executed audiovisual experience.
    it probably wouldve been my favourite movie ever made.

The incredible amount of potential in it, is what upsets me.
    Which is a fair opinion, but as I said, the choice of not having these things in the traditional sense is why I think the movie stands out.

Blade Runner was snubbed in my opinion for not getting a Best Picture nomination. I know the Academy doesn't like those types of movies but that was the best movie that I've seen in probably 2 years. Logan also deserved a nomination.

- - - Updated - - -

Cinematography:
    Blade Runner 2049 (WILL WIN, SHOULD WIN)

Everybody is talking about how sexy the cinematography in that movie is, and the guy who did is apparently due for a win. Although Dunkirk has a shot as well.
    I agree with most of your list but this is really important to me. This movie had the best cinematography that I have ever seen and Roger Deakins has been nominated 14 times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone provide a source as to why the academy blacklists science fiction movies from getting a best picture nomination?

Science fiction is one of the most important movie genres, especially in this day and age.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    Can anyone provide a source as to why the academy blacklists science fiction movies from getting a best picture nomination?

Science fiction is one of the most important movie genres, especially in this day and age.
    The same reason they gave la la land 5 wins and 12 nominations. A musical about making it in hollywood or sci fi that uses CGI hmmm I wonder which one they will go with.

The memes with the oscars is real, you want a oscar and you have two different options

-play a crippled jew who escaped nazi's, who is also homosexual with aids and is struggling to fit into his black neighborhood. Oscar bait.

-or a story about self replicating robots that get confused if they are human or not. Which one do you think has more chance of winning best actor.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    The same reason they gave la la land 5 wins and 12 nominations. A musical about making it in hollywood or sci fi that uses CGI hmmm I wonder which one they will go with.

The memes with the oscars is real, you want a oscar and you have two different options

-play a crippled jew who escaped nazi's, who is also homosexual with aids and is struggling to fit into his black neighborhood. Oscar bait.

-or a story about self replicating robots that get confused if they are human or not. Which one do you think has more chance of winning best actor.
    I mean you're right, but lala land is a genuinely great movie. so so maybe go with something different :P

like spotlight, or crash.

but really it boils down to two things.

the academy are specific people from a specific demographic so they'Ll have a specific taste.
    Lobbying your movies is also SUPER important, you basically have to sell it again to them. so it also matters how well you do that. which kinda creates a catch 22 where movies that arent "oscar movies" dont get campaigned that hard, and movies that are do. so makes it look even more specific

maybe Sony didnt believe in blade runner (I mean they are the most incompetent film studio ever to exist) so they didnt campaign it hard enough on the major categories.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-27 at 06:27 PM.

I mean you're right, but lala land is a genuinely great movie. so so maybe go with something different :P

like spotlight, or crash.
    Perhaps for some, I found it a little cliche, like gosling getting fired for not playing Jingle Bells over and over when hes a world class piano player.

It was made for the oscars though and they ate it up. A musical about struggling to make it in LA, I mean come on. They ate that shit up for breakfast. Its predictable

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Those kind of movies don't often get much attention at the oscars...always have to be a artsy movie or have a message to get much attention...why I don't even bother to watch the oscars anymore.

Just a bunch of old white men who vote for what they like as opposed to what may actually be truly popular.
    A lot of this award shows are just total shit now. Kind of like how rock bands are just starting to not showup to the grammy's.

Perhaps for some, I found it a little cliche, like gosling getting fired for not playing Jingle Bells over and over when hes a world class piano player.

It was made for the oscars though and they ate it up. A musical about struggling to make it in LA, I mean come on. They ate that shit up for breakfast. Its predictable
    he didnt get fired for not playing jingle bells, he got fired for disobeying his boss.

also, pretty much the entire movie defies clichés in a big way, so i dont even know what you mean.

especially that ending.

and it's so predictable that it didnt win. so yeah.
    but let's not go down that road, not everyone likes the same things, and that's a great thing.

I totally agree with you that the concept is "oscar baity"

but as oscar bait's go it was an excellently made movie.
    Last edited by shaunika123; 2018-01-27 at 06:42 PM.

he didnt get fired for not playing jingle bells, he got fired for disobeying his boss.

also, pretty much the entire movie defies clichés in a big way, so i dont even know what you mean.

especially that ending.

and it's so predictable that it didnt win. so yeah.
    Remind me again what he did to disobey his boss? Don't get so worked up. If you enjoyed watching gosling and stone thats fine, it certainly looked good visually and they had some creative dance numbers. But it wasnt that great and ryan/stones cant sing so dunno how anyone can rate a muscial where the leads cant even sing.

And defying one trope at the end doesnt mean it wasnt full of cliches. How many times have you seen couples break up in films because one gets the gig they have been waiting for or the person changes with their new found fame...... That theme like most relationship themes of love and loss has been done to death. Just like love has been done to death in music.

Remind me again what he did to disobey his boss? Don't get so worked up. If you enjoyed watching gosling and stone thats fine, it certainly looked good visually and they had some creative dance numbers. But it wasnt that great and ryan/stones cant sing so dunno how anyone can rate a muscial where the leads cant even sing.

And defying one trope at the end doesnt mean it wasnt full of cliches. How many times have you seen couples break up in films because one gets the gig they have been waiting for or the person changes with their new found fame...... That theme like most relationship themes of love and loss has been done to death. Just like love has been done to death in music.
    well I mean, it was an homage to golden age musicals, so ofc it was gonna use the same tropes. that doesnt mean it didnt put a twist on almost all of them.
    but as I said, let's not argue over it, cos we'll just derail the thread again, it's not on topic.

If you want I'll debate the movie with you endlessly in PM though. feel free to message me

well I mean, it was an homage to golden age musicals, so ofc it was gonna use the same tropes. that doesnt mean it didnt put a twist on almost all of them.
    but as I said, let's not argue over it, cos we'll just derail the thread again, it's not on topic.

If you want I'll debate the movie with you endlessly in PM though. feel free to message me
    Its all good, pretty much said my bit. When I think of the oscars I think of La La land and schindler's list, two films that would win every year no matter what they were up against. La La Land vs schindler's list would be the real heavyweight battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    But La La Land didn't win best picture, Moonlight did.

Nice try again, Warren Beatty.

you dont need best picture when you win 5 other categories and get 12 noms.

Moonlight got the pity race card award. Don't act like oscars wouldnt have gotten a #blackout protest if they had snubbed moonlight

Its all good, pretty much said my bit. When I think of the oscars I think of La La land and schindler's list, two films that would win every year no matter what they were up against. La La Land vs schindler's list would be the real heavyweight battle.
    but lala land didnt win :P

you dont need best picture when you win 5 other categories and get 12 noms.

Moonlight got the pity race card award. Don't act like oscars wouldnt have gotten a #blackout protest if they had snubbed moonlight
    mad max won 6 out of 10

is that also oscar bait?:P

BP is what matters.

but lala land didnt win :P
    Nah the black man struggling to fit into his black neighborhood who is also gay won, I wonder why

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah the black man struggling to fit into his black neighborhood who is also gay won, I wonder why
    It was honestly the strongest contender. Sure, it was cliched, but it was legitimately an expertly crafted film. It was either that or Manchester by the Sea for me.

But anyway, it's sad that movies like Blade Runner that also bombed in American and Chinese theaters didn't get any of the recognition they deserve. Even Deakins won't win probably. It's like a stigma or something.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2018-01-27 at 07:08 PM.