Raid and Dungeon Design Aspects

What are some design aspects you like to see (or would like to see) in raids and dungeons?

Examples:
    * AoE Mechanics, so you send a portion of the raid over to destroy all of the adds before they reach the target.

* Slow burn mechanics. A mob needs to die at a specific point during the fight, perhaps to remove a buff from the boss or add an crucial debuff.

* Different reasons to taunt swap. Tanks A and B get different buffs at the start of the fight. As the fight goes on, it becomes necessary to trade the boss because his attacks/buffs affect each tank differently.

* Healing mechanics. Pump healing into this add, which then bursts to heal the raid at a crucial moment.

5+ Year Old Account
    I really like unique feeling fights and those with things a singular person or a small team needs to do.

Stuff like flying in the Alysrazor fight or the belts on Blackfuse are stuff I really enjoy. Asymmetric design is something I really like for some reason.

Also, anything that puts a spin on more classic mechanics, like tankswaps that aren't just "Taunt on 3".

More cool environmental mechanics like Helya, Operator Thogar, Hanz and Franz

Fights with big moments. Taeshalach Technique on Aggrammar feels big. It might not be a big deal to manage, but it's a moment for us to feel like Agg is big and powerful.

Second the environmental mechanics.

Fights that require you to break down the raid into smaller teams with different tasks.

I like fights like Portal Keeper and Kin where you are forced to split the raid up and kill diff stuff/do diff parts of the encounter. I like the idea of Eonar type fights but the issue with Eonar was it was a joke. If it was tuned harder it would have been more interesting.

-Creative tankswap mechanics (tired of taunting on 2 stacks), or generally actual tank mechanics. Things like the bombs on Kin'garoth and Taeshalach Technique are really neat, but tanking is otherwise such a boring role for most fights because you just stand there, taunt at the right moment and don't die.

-Environmental mechanics. BRF was great for this, with fights like Thogar, Franz and Blackhand. Antorus has a few as well, like High Command, Imonar and Varimathras.

-Phases that are actually different from each other, and don't just add 1 ability and remove another. Imonar's a good example of that if you count the bridges as a phase, Archimonde in HFC was also like that.

-Hectic final phases. You know, the kind of fight where half the raid is dead and Discord is going nuts as the boss is killing everyone at 2%. Makes for some amazing moments.

-Breather moments where you can wail on the boss for a limited time. Gorefiend in HFC is one of my favorite fights because it's so satisfying to tunnel the boss with a big damage boost after he made you run around like a headless chicken for two minutes.

Deleted
    In raids:
    • More interesting tank swap mechanics, preferably more situations where both tanks are actively tanking something as it's boring to just sit around waiting for X stacks.
    • More mechanics like Thorim in ulduar where you send a squad to complete its own mission.
    • More mechanics which require you to pay attention to the world/boss room which can't be tracked by addons. Huntsman's ghost in lower kara and the second boss in neltharion's lair are two examples of this in dungeons.
    • Less predictability on which ability a boss is going to use, knowing exactly what is going to happen when isn't as interesting as having to adapt to the situation at hand. Probably one of the reasons I prefer m+ these days, things can go south rather quickly at times and there's no reset button, you simply have to deal with it.
    • More mechanics which punish damage dealers damage rather than health if they fail.
    • More damage reflecting mechanics, there's nothing funnier than watching a damage dealer kill themselves due to not paying attention.
    • More mind control mechanics that are a result of failing a mechanic, and leads to actual death once killed, not another "breaks at X % health".

Dungeons:
    - Mechanics that can actually be avoided, unavoidable one-shots which can only be handled though immunity or combat ress isn't interesting. I realize M+ is a victim of its own success and Blizzard didn't realize it would be this popular so they designed the bosses the way they always did, and scaling brought the damage into one-shot territory, but I still expect them to learn from it.

Deleted
    I would love if devs got creative and added mechanics where random players suddenly have to take important role in raid and communicate it with rest of raid in order success. Like mythic Gorefiend but 2-5 random players are linked and have to work together instead being able to setup players who do important roles before pull.

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    I would love if devs got creative and added mechanics where random players suddenly have to take important role in raid and communicate it with rest of raid in order success. Like mythic Gorefiend but 2-5 random players are linked and have to work together instead being able to setup players who do important roles before pull.
    I agree it's a good principle in theory, but in practice, I never want to be linked again to the fucking wheelchair shadowpriest on Elereth lol