Page 1 of 27
... LastLast

I don't really get all the hate for SV hunters

I mean I get it if you just miss the old sv hunter spec and wish it would be reverted but I don't really get the hate for them as a melee class. Fantasy wise I think its a cool spec. I like fighting side by side with my pet. Could its rotation use a little refinement? Yes but at the same time as someone who plays most of the melee classes in the game I think its one of the better and funner specs to play. Damage wise I also think its gets overhated. I currently do as much or more damage on my hunter as I do on my arms warrior and close to what my sub rogue does despite having a lower ilvl than those toons have by a decent margin. So while I get that it just might not be everyone's cup of tea I think its overhated to some degree by the loud minority. Its currently my fave spec to play alongside my sub rogue for dps purposes. I really hope Bliz doesn't do anything drastic with the spec and just adds a little refinement to its skillset. Long live the new SV hunter!

Deleted
    The "new" survival hunter is a bastardized BM spec, designed to make whiners you complain about complacent.

We have two ranged specs, a Melee spec was needed to break the montamy.

If I wanted to play melee I'd have rolled a melee class.

The change to SV just means we now only have two specs. And one of them plays like ass.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    The "new" survival hunter is a bastardized BM spec, designed to make whiners you complain about complacent.

We have two ranged specs, a Melee spec was needed to break the montamy.
    Yes I am beginning to hear about these changes being made in BfA and its making me rather nervous. If SV hunter is no longer fun to me I might not even bother with BfA after a month or so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    If I wanted to play melee I'd have rolled a melee class.

The change to SV just means we now only have two specs. And one of them plays like ass.
    What kind of backward ass logic is this?

When did you even start playing Hunter? Because I remember quite clearly back in the day the difference between MM and Survival was Chimera Shot or Explosive shot.

Fantastic idea to have all 3 specs almost exactly the same.

Black arrow man!������

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Graharam View Post
    Black arrow man!������
    Oh sorry, and one fire and forget dot alongside Serpent sting.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I mean I get it if you just miss the old sv hunter spec and wish it would be reverted but I don't really get the hate for them as a melee class. Fantasy wise I think its a cool spec. I like fighting side by side with my pet. Could its rotation use a little refinement? Yes but at the same time as someone who plays most of the melee classes in the game I think its one of the better and funner specs to play. Damage wise I also think its gets overhated. I currently do as much or more damage on my hunter as I do on my arms warrior and close to what my sub rogue does despite having a lower ilvl than those toons have by a decent margin. So while I get that it just might not be everyone's cup of tea I think its overhated to some degree by the loud minority. Its currently my fave spec to play alongside my sub rogue for dps purposes. I really hope Bliz doesn't do anything drastic with the spec and just adds a little refinement to its skillset. Long live the new SV hunter!
    Probably playing your warrior wrong then mate :P

7+ Year Old Account
    Here's my thoughts.

Why play SV when you have two ranged options which have been better throughout the entire expansion up until now where you could argue that its on par with MM?

This game is so melee heavy that a lot of groups just can't fit in enough of each class because they have to limit how many melee they want to bring, which also limits the availablilty of certain specs in the game. Rogues tend to be a top pick because they can handle mechanics much more efficiently than other melee can. What does SV bring? Burst aoe? How does it compare to other melee with burst aoe?

No matter what range you play, theres likely a spot for you provided the spec isn't complete dogshit. Like BM :P
    Last edited by MisterBigglez; 2018-01-28 at 02:06 AM.

I just want the ability to change the animation of those throwing axes to shooting a bow again.
    Would feel more like the bow/melee style that hunters had in the old days.

There's something badass about it, and I miss it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbywabby View Post
    Here's my thoughts.

Why play SV when you have two ranged options which have been better throughout the entire expansion up until now where you could argue that its on par with MM?

This game is so melee heavy that a lot of groups just can't fit in enough of each class because they have to limit how many melee they wan't to bring, which also limits the availablilty of certain specs in the game. Rogues tend to be a top pick because they can handle mechanics much more efficiently than other melee can. What does SV bring? Burst aoe? How does it compare to other melee with burst aoe?

No matter what range you play, theres likely a spot for you provided the spec isn't complete dogshit. Like BM :P
    I don't think the other two specs have been better through the expansion, SV was actually pretty good at the start (before they added the Artifact ability to the Global Cooldown) after that, it become a little wonky, but its damage its still good, the detail is that... well... its wonky right now and its not as easy to play as MM (MM have no science, SV have way too many things to check at the same time -i find that fun, but it makes me mad that they did not have something to actually let you check those things, so you spend more time checking your buffs (to make sure they are all up and that you get the most of the Artifact ability) and checking the CD of some of your abilities (that need to be used as soon as they are off CD unless you need to use your Artifact ability -to not lose the extra damage of the stacks)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    I just want the ability to change the animation of those throwing axes to shooting a bow again.
    Would feel more like the bow/melee style that hunters had in the old days.

There's something badass about it, and I miss it.
    But... why would you use Throwing Axes? (i mean... you would use that only to pull flying enemies or things like those)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    But... why would you use Throwing Axes? (i mean... you would use that only to pull flying enemies or things like those)
    Pvp is a thing man. If you pick the talent axes, they do decent dmg when kiting.
    Last edited by glowzone; 2018-01-26 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandamonia View Post
    Probably playing your warrior wrong then mate :P
    I think survival is better than people realize. The lack of people playing it and I would say higher than normal skill cap for it as a melee spec have made people write it off. I've been in many dungeon groups where I out dps better geared toons that most people think are better.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2018-01-26 at 05:27 PM.

Deleted
    I like the Spec Fantasy.

Being a rugged trapper fighting alongside your pet, outflanking and outsmarting your enemy then moving into the kill while they are bloodied and weakened feels amazing as a Class Fantasy.

I ironically think Legion's Survival is the ONLY spec of all of them that felt like a HUNTER not just a shooting guy or a zookeeper.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I like the Spec Fantasy.

Being a rugged trapper fighting alongside your pet, outflanking and outsmarting your enemy then moving into the kill while they are bloodied and weakened feels amazing as a Class Fantasy.

I ironically think Legion's Survival is the ONLY spec of all of them that felt like a HUNTER not just a shooting guy or a zookeeper.
    Going to melee range to the target instead of kill it from safe distance..yeah that is really like a hunter....from the prehistoric time before ranged weapons were discovered...Afterall who is that idiot who take the risk of getting injured or even death if he have a more safer and easier way to hunt down the prey.... (traps or ranged attack..melee is everything but hunterish..)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cateran View Post
    Going to melee range to the target instead of kill it from safe distance..yeah that is really like a hunter....from the prehistoric time before ranged weapons were discovered...Afterall who is that idiot who take the risk of getting injured or even death if he have a more safer and easier way to hunt down the prey.... (traps or ranged attack..melee is everything but hunterish..)
    "Why isn't this game realistic"

Let me explain this then. Why do warriors exist?

Why isn't everyone a mage?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowzone View Post
    Pvp is a thing man. If you pick the talent axes, they do decent dmg when kiting.
    Right... i always forget about that... (I used to do PvP sometimes... in Wrath... with a DK)

Wait... having in mind how SV hunter works... Wouldn't they be horrible for Pvp? (Or i imagine the whole playstyle is completely different but still, it should be really weird)

Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post
    Right... i always forget about that... (I used to do PvP sometimes... in Wrath... with a DK)

Wait... having in mind how SV hunter works... Wouldn't they be horrible for Pvp? (Or i imagine the whole playstyle is completely different but still, it should be really weird)
    Hmm, it depends what you find important.
    If you get a decent opener they can be a force to be reckoned with in duels.
    They have a ton of peeling power, spamning nets on everyone that runs past you is a good way to stal the enemy team.

The problem I have with surv is that if you're caught with your pants down or even if you have a bit of bad luck, you really are boned beyond words. It's kind of like being a rogue out of stealth with cos and vanish on cd. You NEED certain abilities and cd's to not be dead on arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I mean I get it if you just miss the old sv hunter spec and wish it would be reverted
    You opened the thread with the very answer to your dilemma.

Yes, that's why we hate SV.

The hate for sv comes from taking the most popular spec in the game and making it melee in a class that self-selected to be people who primarily like being ranged because that's all the class was for almost twelve years. Add in the fact that it's an overcomplicated mess with it being impossible to have enough GCDs to do everything that needs to be done and of course it has been a complete and total failure. There was no way it was going to not be a failure, especially with another melee spec with a much better feel added at the same time, but the mess of the spec didn't help. It could have been made playable if some things had been cut out from the dot, two traps, and Way of the Mok'nathal all needing to be maintained, but I don't think it would have improved its popularity.