Page 1 of 3
LastLast

computer randomly crashes

hi all, so ive had some issues with windows 10 lately . basically when im sitting working away in various programs then all of a sudden it will become unresponsive followed by a black screen then eventually restarts, all my drivers are up to date. ive done a scan disc to check for errors and comes back with no errors, i have no idea whats happening. i can be sitting watching a tv series in vlc, working in unreal engine, making a 3D model in maya or playing a game like cs:go (counter strike: global offensive). the computer just seems to freeze.

my System info can be viewed here might be helpful.

my log from the Error Checking

ive tried swapping out my SSD drive,
    taking all my memory out and leaving 1 stick in at a time
    reinstalling / reseting windows 10
    resetting the bios to default settings

and still continues to crash :/
    please can someone help me figure out whats wrong

thanks

Which SSD drive? Firmwares updated? Swapped with what? ;o

Benchmark the GPU, stress it out, Furmark usually does the job, or whatever else you might wanna use, see if it crashes for starters, if it does, check it at a different PC also, if it does there also, you found the problem.

If it doesnt crash on another PC, we can check the PSU later.

Dont leave 1 stick of RAM, put them all in and run a proper memtest to exclude them 100% as problematic.

Test those and then move on with checking the rest.
    Last edited by potis; 2018-01-26 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Which SSD drive? Firmwares updated? Swapped with what? ;o

Benchmark the GPU, stress it out, Furmark usually does the job, or whatever else you might wanna use, see if it crashes for starters, if it does, check it at a different PC also, if it does there also, you found the problem.

If it doesnt crash on another PC, we can check the PSU later.

Dont leave 1 stick of RAM, put them all in and run a proper memtest to exclude them 100% as problematic.

Test those and then move on with checking the rest.
    im using a 500GB wd Blue SSD i swapped it out with my old 128gb Samsung SSD but it didnt fix the issue so i swapped it back.

i benchmarked the gpu using furmark at my monitor size (2560x1080) this is what it spat out ( i think i done it right lol )

i also done a stress test and it didnt crash.
    along with the memory test. which came back with no errors

How old is your power supply? I generally find random stability issues are related to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Isoz View Post
    snip
    Test memory with memtest86, dont really trust the windows one

Either way, as i mentioned above, if GPU doesnt crash while testing, and you dont get error spam at memtest then look at your PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaelgor View Post
    How old is your power supply? I generally find random stability issues are related to it.
    i bought my psu in 2015. think its due a upgrade

Either way, as i mentioned above, if GPU doesnt crash while testing, and you dont get error spam at memtest then look at your PSU.
    ill get memtest86 and get back to you lol, how can i test my psu ? X_x

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If it's a decent PSU it should be good for at least 5 years. Have you checked the event viewer for what the reported reason for the crashes is?
    Even the best PSU can have a bad one
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Even the best PSU can have a bad one
    Yep. I've had an expensive one fail after a couple years. It started having odd issues popup with the SSD getting locked to protect it from the power issues and other oddities. It's a good place to start troubleshooting if the disk and memory is checking out and in my experience is the most likely component to fail.

so i done the test using memtest86 & came back with no errors

If it's a decent PSU it should be good for at least 5 years. Have you checked the event viewer for what the reported reason for the crashes is?
    its a Corsair CP-9020056-UK RM Series RM850 80 Plus Gold 850W

Those are known to have some issues. Did you check out the event viewer?
    woops forgot to post it
    here it is. i think this it the last time it crashed

woops forgot to post it
    here it is. i think this it the last time it crashed
    Looks at the error before those, check if any looks familiar like GPU drivers or anything else.

And try to find a new PSU from a friend or something to test for a few hours if it happens a lot.

Check the last few times to see if it’s always the same. If they’re all kernel power check the event ids. You wouldn’t have another psu you could test with the system would you?
    ok so the kernal-power error wasnt the 1 causing the crashes. it only appeared 1s and my pc just crashed about 2mins ago the latest error to show in my event view was this 1 after checking through my logs for the last few days it appears every few hours
    Last edited by Isoz; 2018-01-26 at 10:56 PM.

Certainly sounds like a defective piece of hardware is causing your issues.
    ive tested everything in my computer and all come back with no errors :S

My computer was shutting down and restating around a month ago, after going through everything I found out it was my graphics card. One of the fans has died on it so it kept over heating and shutting down the computer. I gave it a good cleaning (it was dustier than hell) and haven't had any issues. Just waiting for a few extra bucks to be free so I can buy a new fan.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kernel Power issues do not signify PSU issues, it simply signifies a dirty shutdown/restart/crash of Windows.

However that bugcheck you have there... 0x00000124 is generally when your CPU is getting too little or too much Voltage because of an overclock.
    Have you had an overclock done or accidentally changed something in the BIOS?
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by Kassidus View Post
    My computer was shutting down and restating around a month ago, after going through everything I found out it was my graphics card. One of the fans has died on it so it kept over heating and shutting down the computer. I gave it a good cleaning (it was dustier than hell) and haven't had any issues. Just waiting for a few extra bucks to be free so I can buy a new fan.
    luckily my card is brand new got it 2 days after black friday didnt have issues with my pc back then lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Kernel Power issues do not signify PSU issues, it simply signifies a dirty shutdown/restart/crash of Windows.

However that bugcheck you have there... 0x00000124 is generally when your CPU is getting too little or too much Voltage because of an overclock.
    Have you had an overclock done or accidentally changed something in the BIOS?
    nope i reset the bios to default settings, its on power saving mode and overclock is switched off
    Last edited by Isoz; 2018-01-26 at 11:23 PM.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...andom-freezing

Just a casual search in microsoft forums will give u thousands upon thousand ppl with the same issue. I had the same issue, tried everything, reinstalled windows 5-6 times, removed all hardware one by one, tested everything. Freeze was still there.

Switched back to w7 and all good. Microsoft claims its known issue and working on a solution. Since 2016.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    luckily my card is brand new got it 2 days after black friday didnt have issues with my pc back then lol

- - - Updated - - -

nope i reset the bios to default settings, its on power saving mode and overclock is switched off
    Power saving mode is known to cause problems with power delivery to the CPU and other hardware. Turn it off and see if the problems still happens
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

What Mainboard are you using? The paste is not working :s

Oh and please reupload the error log (is it from the Windows Event Viewer?)

EDIT:

(at)precious
    Let me guess. The Problem mostly occurs while the HDD is working and after a random time the PC freeze and you only can hard reset it?
    Last edited by Lag123; 2018-01-26 at 11:50 PM.

- - - Updated - - -

Irrelevant, as Evildeffy said, now that you posted the bugcheck error, and its a 0x124 it means low voltage on the CPU.

This can occur because of unstable OC or low voltage at idle cause bad OC settings, or because if you had OCed earlier, your CPU now requires more power cause its "tired" in a way.

Did you have the CPU oced for the last few years or not?
    Last edited by potis; 2018-01-26 at 11:48 PM.