Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Should teach her not to randomly call people nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitten View Post
    The point is that the justification for one is not applicable to the other. Prohibiting insults to figures of authority is illiberal as fuck, the state ensuring you ate not beaten to death for speaking your mind is safeguarding your right to free speech.
    If you call me a "nazi" I can sue you for slander too, and if I report it to the police then you would have a criminal investigation against you. It is a protection given to everybody in Germany (not just officials).

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Should teach her not to randomly call people nazis.
    she will not change her stance, because the police just reinforced her stance in her opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If you call me a "nazi" I can sue you for slander too, and if I report it to the police then you would have a criminal investigation against you. It is a protection given to everybody in Germany (not just officials).
    not to politicians, they have to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by ranzino View Post
    she will not change her stance, because the police just reinforced her stance in her opinion.
    Good then she will be broke as fuck after continuing with that.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    ITT: People whining about an American woman insulting police, while simultaneously using words like "stupid, loud Americans." Pretty funny to me.
    Words have meanings so you should do yourself the favor and think about where you are and what you're saying sometimes. Doesn't take a professor to figure out.

Cry wolf.
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Deleted
    TIL insulting other people isn't illegal in the US. Explains so much.

To people who think insulting others is freedom of speech:
    Freedom is okay as long as you don't impede the freedom of others.
    You can freely move around your country (hopefully), but entering somebody's home without his consent violates his rights.
    The same way you can say anything you want, because you have the freedom of speech, but if you start to insult people you are violating their rights. You violate their honor by shaming/ridiculing them in front of others.
    The definition of 'insult' is critical. If somebody feels insulted because of a constructive statement, then that is no insult in this definition. The same way as parody can 'insult' somebody.
    The key is that if the 'insult' has no other intention and use as to hurt somebody, then it's illegal.
    If you create parody, your main intention is not to hurt somebody, but to entertain others or bring across some point to create some form of education.

Calling somebody names can also fall into this category but under very strict circumstances.

Calling somebody in Germany a Nazi without these pretty strict circumstances is a pretty dumb thing to do and anybody should know that though.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Unfortunately, that particular word does not fall under free speech in Germany. For pretty valid reasons.

Valid reasons my hind end. It's restricted because of fear.

People who want to limit speech and ban words disgust me. But I shouldn't be surprised. Wrongthink is a Level REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE offense in the United Leftist States of Europe .... sorry I meant "EU" .

ITT: People whining about an American woman insulting police, while simultaneously using words like "stupid, loud Americans." Pretty funny to me.
    Glad someone else caught that besides me.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegirl91 View Post
    The same way you can say anything you want, because you have the freedom of speech, but if you start to insult people you are violating their rights. You violate their honor by shaming/ridiculing them in front of others.
    The underlined section .... I don't even have words to express my level of disgust. Insults are illegal? Insults? Violating honor?

It's revolting that any country calling itself a democracy has these kinds of restrictions. The US has its share of problems, but at least we are free to speak our minds what ways we choose; with only the most vanishingly small exceptions.

Those being direct credible death threats, and immediate incitement to riot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Valid reasons my hind end. It's restricted because of fear.

People who want to limit speech and ban words disgust me. But I shouldn't be surprised. Wrongthink is a Level REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE offense in the United Leftist States of Europe .... sorry I meant "EU" .

The moment when you realize these laws were imposed by the allied forces after world war 2. It funny that nearly all of the anti-Nazi laws in germany and austria were created by the united states.

Also: there is no free speech in the US, but continue living in denial...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Words have meanings so you should do yourself the favor and think about where you are and what you're saying sometimes. Doesn't take a professor to figure out.

Cry wolf.
    Stupid is as stupid does.
    I'm not disagreeing with whats happening to that person. I just think its funny that people in this thread are upset that she called someone a name, and to show their frustration are also calling HER a name. I mean, its like ... pot, meet kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post

Also: there is no free speech in the US, but continue living in denial...
    Denial aint just a river in Egypt, apparently it runs through Austria too. There are two criminal restrictions on speech in the US: death threats & incitement to riot.

Libel and slander are civil matters and also damn hard to prove.

Also, this :

“Goebbels was in favor of free speech for views he liked. So was Stalin. If you’re really in favor of free speech, then you’re in favor of freedom of speech for precisely the views you despise. Otherwise, you’re not in favor of free speech.” - Noam Chomsky

TY Lemonpartyfan.
    Last edited by Realitytrembles; 2018-01-27 at 12:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Denial aint just a river in Egypt, apparently it runs through Austria too. There are two criminal restrictions on speech in the US: death threats & incitement to riot.
    So no free speech in the US, thank you for proving my point. Also, you forget spreading panic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouti...rowded_theater - but hey... bashing germany is way more fun.

Don't lecture us about free speech, if free speech is also limited in your country you hypocrite.

Also, on the off-chance this was serious (but judging by the quality of the american school education regarding anything not MURICA), it's "the Nile".
    Last edited by Citizen T; 2018-01-27 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Infracted: nation bashing

The underlined section .... I don't even have words to express my level of disgust. Insults are illegal? Insults? Violating honor?

It's revolting that any country calling itself a democracy has these kinds of restrictions. The US has its share of problems, but at least we are free to speak our minds what ways we choose; with only the most vanishingly small exceptions.

Those being direct credible death threats, and immediate incitement to riot.
    Free speech isn't just a legal principle though, it's also supposed to represent a value system that encourages free expression and, consequently, looks down upon systems of thought that try to suppress ideas. So if you were to walk up to a group of BLM protesters and scream NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER in their faces the whole time and drown out whatever they were trying to say, then sure you would technically have the right to do that, but you'd be violating the spirit of free speech since you'd effectively be silencing them while contributing little to the discussion yourself. And quite frankly, most of the supposedly pro free speech crowd on the right is pretty much just doing this in somewhat more sophisticated manner, though not by much.

She isn't wrong. They are the spawn of nazis and just because all germans are closet nazis now, doesn't change them being nazis.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not disagreeing with whats happening to that person. I just think its funny that people in this thread are upset that she called someone a name, and to show their frustration are also calling HER a name. I mean, its like ... pot, meet kettle.
    Discussing people isn't half as interesting as what they're saying though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    So no free speech in the US, thank you for proving my point. Also, you forget spreading panic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouti...rowded_theater - but hey... bashing germany is way more fun.

Don't lecture us about free speech, if free speech is also limited in your country you hypocrite.

Also, on the off-chance this was serious (but judging by the quality of the american school education regarding anything not MURICA), it's "the Nile".
    holy shit. you are fucking dense.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    She isn't wrong. They are the spawn of nazis and just because all germans are closet nazis now, doesn't change them being nazis.
    uuuh, who pissed on your corn flakes today ??

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Google paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    holy shit. you are fucking dense.
    Got any argument, or just personal insults?