Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    I stopped playing when they started to ban players for playing their favorite character. Things have gotten worse I see.

More and more it seems Blizzard’s games are a VIP only club. Has gaming really come to this?
    No one was banned for playing their favorite character... they were banned for throwing anytime someone beat them to it

I stopped playing when they started to ban players for playing their favorite character. Things have gotten worse I see.

More and more it seems Blizzard’s games are a VIP only club. Has gaming really come to this?
    Except what OP has said is 100% false.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Cultist View Post
    Except what OP has said is 100% false.

I was quite sure I read a story about it on Kotaku actually. I wad surprised when the topic showed up here. So not false?

Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post

And to sumarize other reasons that can get you banned from overwatch so far

-Using too many emotes
    -playing only one character (even if you're very good at it)
    -having a potty mouth
    -posting naughty things on social media
    -Winning too many games (there was a guy who was a one trick pony playing reinheard and got banned)

At this point i think its safe to say that the devs are toxic and they really need to chill the hell out.
    I get the feeling you are being purposefully disingenuous here. Either that or you were not paying attention to what was said in this video.

Did no one here even watch the video?

Jeff never said that they check Facebook, and he definitely did not say they check to see if people are toxic outside of the game. He specifically said that they are proactive by watching YOUTUBE videos, so see when people are being toxic while playing Overwatch and then track down that account to apply some disciplinary action. He said that this allowed them to take action against some toxic players who were never reported. There was 0 mention are him saying they check peoples' social media accounts to see if they are toxic people outside of the game.

Oh so this is even less of a story then what I expected, not sure what else I was expecting from OP.

I was quite sure I read a story about it on Kotaku actually. I wad surprised when the topic showed up here. So not false?
    Well, I was referred to the claim the OP was making, but I believe that was not true as well. The people weren't getting banned for one-tricking. They were banned because they weren't changing character AND purposefully throwing the game by not leaving spawn or wasting their Ult multiple times.

With what OP has been saying, Blizzard is not checking peoples' Facebook accounts to see if they are toxic outside of the game. Jeff specifically says that they check social media sites like youtube to check for toxic players in videos and then tracking down those accounts to suspend/ban them. They are still punishing people for how they act in the game; they are just using more unique ways to find those players who are behaving poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    No one was banned for playing their favorite character... they were banned for throwing anytime someone beat them to it
    See, now that I could understand; and hell we've all witnessed it.

Just a bit worried as I play Symmetra a lot and people often get pissy about it even if we win and/or I'm smashing the kills/dmg (yes, yes I know kills/dmg isn't everything but it certainly plays a role).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Maybe the fact that people automatically assume that these rumors about Blizzard are true serve as a testament as to how people feel about Blizzard and their Overwatch game these days.

I know the first time I heard of this rumor, my first thought was “typical”.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the fact that people automatically assume that these rumors about Blizzard are true serve as a testament as to how people feel about Blizzard and their Overwatch game these days.

There are gullible people everywhere. Lot of people never bother to check if something is true after hearing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDr..._for_24_hours/

I am not talking out of my ass. Yes you can get banned for playing a character.
    instead of the devs making characters useful both in attack and defense they choose to ban people who play these characters. And btw there is no warning or rule that would inform some one that doing any of this is a banable offense. I've yet to see any one get banned in LOL or Dota for playing "the wrong character". As long as people try to win its fine.

But i suppose the devs at overwatch actually designing characters that can be played in both roles like junkrat is too difficult so they just choose to ban you for playing the game.
    No, you cannot.

You can be banned for being detrimental to your team by refusing to work together in competitive. Which can including playing a character that doesn't fit at the time, ex- Torb on attack if the enemy has 2-3 barrier based tanks.

It has nothing to do with "playing a character" and everything to do with nearly throwing the match. And yet again, this is exclusive to competitive mode, where you're suppose to leave your "I'M PLAYING THIS CHARACTER, AND THAT'S IT" at the door. Go play hours of Quick Play as Torb, you'll never get banned. So your claim that you can get banned for playing a hero is faulty, and you're just taking the echo chamber of people claiming "I'm innocent, I did nothing wrong but play the game!" as factual, when the devs can easily prove that this isn't the case.

And yes, there is a rule that if you do not cooperate with your teammates in competitive, you can get in trouble. That's...a standard rule in any game that has a competitive mode.

can you imagine if every business in society would be like this?

The bank "yeah we just looked at your social media profile and we decided we're going to shut down your account"
    Your landlord "yeah i just looked at some of the comments you said and i don't want toxic people on my property i'm evicting you"

I'm really not going to support this type of morality and it only seems to be acceptable in the video game industry.
    This already happens. Jobs check your social media, we actually had one guy get evicted in my old apartment because he was constantly saying he had money issues, and the front office was working with him, then he started posting on Facebook about his fat stacks, so they stopped working with him. And eventually got the ammunition to evict. I used to live in the fucking ghetto.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDr..._for_24_hours/

I am not talking out of my ass. Yes you can get banned for playing a character.
    instead of the devs making characters useful both in attack and defense they choose to ban people who play these characters. And btw there is no warning or rule that would inform some one that doing any of this is a banable offense. I've yet to see any one get banned in LOL or Dota for playing "the wrong character". As long as people try to win its fine.

But i suppose the devs at overwatch actually designing characters that can be played in both roles like junkrat is too difficult so they just choose to ban you for playing the game.

Did you not read the thread you posted?

Right in the op in bold and on top.

Blizzard has now made a statement saying that you will not be banned for one tricking. I would to also say that this post was never really about Xul it was about the response he got, which a lot of people didn't understand. I hope Customer Support steps up there game. Everything crossed out in this post is nullified.

It’s amazing how hard Blizzard has fallen. They once used to be called the saviour of pc games.

Now they want to kill that position. Cool.

Blizzard has gone downhill. Diablo 3, Overwatch, HoTS......I don’t know anyone that plays any of those

Its almost like you have to actually read the article. Crazy, i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    No, you cannot.

You can be banned for being detrimental to your team by refusing to work together in competitive. Which can including playing a character that doesn't fit at the time, ex- Torb on attack if the enemy has 2-3 barrier based tanks.

It has nothing to do with "playing a character" and everything to do with nearly throwing the match. And yet again, this is exclusive to competitive mode, where you're suppose to leave your "I'M PLAYING THIS CHARACTER, AND THAT'S IT" at the door. Go play hours of Quick Play as Torb, you'll never get banned. So your claim that you can get banned for playing a hero is faulty, and you're just taking the echo chamber of people claiming "I'm innocent, I did nothing wrong but play the game!" as factual, when the devs can easily prove that this isn't the case.

And yes, there is a rule that if you do not cooperate with your teammates in competitive, you can get in trouble. That's...a standard rule in any game that has a competitive mode.
    Are you reading what your posting?

What does not cooperating mean exactly? That you didn’t read Reddit to find out the exact meta of the day? Is blizzard watching the games you get reported in to determine merit of the report? You can be banned because of a subjective reason triggered by angry teammates is not really a legitimate reason to ban someone, at that point you might as well randomly ban people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post

What does not cooperating mean exactly? That you didn’t read Reddit to find out the exact meta of the day? Is blizzard watching the games you get reported in to determine merit of the report? You can be banned because of a subjective reason triggered by angry teammates is not really a legitimate reason to ban someone, at that point you might as well randomly ban people

Are you? This was in that thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c..._from/dpo6xch/

He's lying. Here's a post exposing him for throwing https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/c...ing_this_as_a/

Well this one trick banning discussion started with a post by XUL here https://redd.it/7c5gvh.

He claims that the only reason he got banned was for one tricking torb. Me and my friends played with him and got steamrolled on the payload map since they were heavily countering torb.

My friend Activates picked torb on attack to see what XUL would play after we asked him kindly to swap to ANYTHING else as we were flexible on our picks.

XUL responded by saying he's just gonna afk then. Rather than picking another character and playing the game he decided he would just sit in base without picking a hero. He kept timing out and back in so he wouldn't get banned from competitive afterwards.

From his actions in this clip shown if another torb main was on the team and picked it first he would've went afk in the base and just lost the game for the team since he was unwilling to pick anything else. This is the problem with some of these one-tricks, it's not the one tricking itself, its the player. XUL got banned for griefing or delibrate inactivity.

PROOF: https://streamable.com/hh7ro

Edit: to clarify, I wasn't the person in the video.

Not cooperating = purposely throwing the game by spam emoteing/afking etc.

But yeah, way to exaggerate a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Automatically disregarded as it’s a group of friends bullying some guy. Friend groups should get 1 report per group

Are you reading what I'm posting?

Since you're drastically sliding down the slope with no signs of stopping.

The cases where people got banned for what OP is claiming as "playing a single character" are from that one person getting a ridiculous amount of reports over time.
    There is no "I played Hanzo in competitive, got reported, and was banned instantly".

There was a few case of people CLAIMING they played Torb and got banned, when it was really they were playing NOTHING but Torb for up to 50 matches, never flexing to help the team out, and then on top of that, harassing people for asking them to change to another character since Torb wasn't working for the team.

So yet again, there is no "bans for playing a single hero", there's bans for "refusing to cooperate with dozens and dozens of other players as you continue to just instalock one hero no matter what the situation is a refuse to play someone else".

It's not rocket science. Not cooperating is not working with the team.

Automatically disregarded as it’s a group of friends bullying some guy. Friend groups should get 1 report per group
    Automatically disregarded because it proved you wrong?