Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HDestroyer View Post
    What? There is rule which forbids you playing only one character?
    No, there isn't. Anyone claiming that as the reason they got banned, is almost certainly lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by veehro View Post
    I understand wanting to create a pleasant enviroment in your game but if some one is playing nice then going around their social media checking to see if the guy has a potty mouth is too orwelian for my taste.
    So in essence they could arbitarily ban people over things that have nothing to do with the game, such as having "wrong" political opinions?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea Blizzard I just hope Overwatch is a good enough game for people to be forced to choose between being an idiot, or playing a game they really enjoy.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Demoilition Man predicted this society when people were getting fined for swearing in public.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    So in essence they could arbitarily ban people over things that have nothing to do with the game, such as having "wrong" political opinions?
    That's what their aiming for, yeah.
    #boycottchina

[QUOTE=shimerra;48771683]Guess if I come in your house at 2am and start screaming at the top of my lungs you're the word police if you want to kick me outhuh? Or if I go into a church and start ranting and raving about how Jesus was really the anti christ and all christians are evil they'd be the word police for kicking me out? If I go shouting off like that to a customer at work I get fired and I can bet your ass that half the examples @satimy is crying about if a customer was behaving like that we'd kick them out too.

Well that's a mighty fine strawman you have built there.
    1) You coming in my house and shouting at 2am will be breaking multiple laws. and you be lucky if all someone did was call the cops.
    2) Going into a church and yelling anti jesus things, again, breaks multiple laws (since you are going in with the purpose of causing an issue).
    3) Shouting at a customer would be impacting the company's bottom line, as well as breaking the hiring agreement with that employer.
    All 3 illegal, and none are even in the same vein as what this is about. Im sure you know that, so maybe you are the one who should stop "pretending" to be ignorant.

What we are talking about here is saying something "toxic" (nothing clearly defined) on a website, not related to Blizzard. If i make a private joke on discord to a friend that laughs, an no one involved is offended, their stance implies that I can still be banned because what i said is "toxic". Worst of all, it will likely be an algorithm that decides, so context doesn't play a part either.
    And before you try to build another strawman, stalking on social media is harassment, which is illegal. This is not stalking, this is saying as little as one thing, one time, that could be considered "toxic", while someone who can perceive
    it as "toxic" may never even see it
    "bans have gone out before a single report has been made"

10+ Year Old Account
    People seem to think Blizzards is going to have some sort of 24/7 crew whose job it is to randomly look through every possible name associated with a battle.net account and trawl every single thing they post on for negative comments

I think that assumption is bullshit and people know it, but are making a fuss because they want to die on an imagined hill about "PC culture"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should look at the wow forums it would probably trigger him into a coma.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    People seem to think Blizzards is going to have some sort of 24/7 crew whose job it is to randomly look through every possible name associated with a battle.net account and trawl every single thing they post on for negative comments

I think that assumption is bullshit and people know it, but are making a fuss because they want to die on an imagined hill about "PC culture"
    Right, there is no way they could have an algorithm do it like YouTube/Twitter do. That would be crazy talk.

Did he even say Facebook specifically? Pretty sure Kaplan was talking about what players are doing specifically in the game of Overwatch.
    And why do you even care unless you're one of the toxic assholes?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    That's what their aiming for, yeah.
    Aiming for? They already could if they wanted to. The EULA states they can ban you for pretty much any reason they decide, though it gives examples of common ones.

Also, if you honestly legitimately believe that they're running automated programs to search through social media sites and preemptively ban anyone with opposing political opinions via an algorithm, you need help. I mean hell, we /know/ that Blizzard peeks in on the MMO-Champion forums from time to time, since they've posted on here more'n once. And yet you're not banned for unironically comparing them to Hitler. Go figure.

can you imagine if every business in society would be like this?

The bank "yeah we just looked at your social media profile and we decided we're going to shut down your account"
    Your landlord "yeah i just looked at some of the comments you said and i don't want toxic people on my property i'm evicting you"

I'm really not going to support this type of morality and it only seems to be acceptable in the video game industry.
    God, I would love that. If people had a financial reason not to be douchebags the world would be a more tolerable place.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

can you imagine if every business in society would be like this?
    It would be wonderful.

Unless you're an asshole.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

No. He said Social media websites, and he said Blizzard, not the overwatch team.
    As to the "one of the toxic assholes" part: If I say, "please don't use the word retard" somewhere, will an algorithm see the context, or will it just see the word retard and flag it as toxic?
    What if i jokingly say "you dumb ass" to a friend in discord? Is that toxic enough for a ban?
    With their statement "often action is taken, before a report is even made" is the most troublesome part.

I will say, it all comes down to how it is enforced. If they go after people who are aggressively going after someone, or intentionally trying to offend people, then no problem. But as we've seen with Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook, their systems often catch more innocent people than ones who should be looked into.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I gathered, they aren't going to ban you based on social media, but use social media to launch investigations. If they notice someone being an asshole, they are going to look into their report history and then contemplate action.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Who cares about toxicity? Just give us a vote kick to punish people who actively troll (like jumping down a ledge the entire game) and leave the fucking rest to the players...
    You question can be answered in one term, SWATing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Also, if you honestly legitimately believe that they're running automated programs to search through social media sites and preemptively ban anyone with opposing political opinions via an algorithm, you need help.
    This has nothing to do with politics and also wouldn't be based on opinions. They target specific words and phrases, while leaving out context. These systems are already implemented on many social media sites, why would someone need to be crazy to think Blizzard would use one as well?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RallySix View Post
    Right, there is no way they could have an algorithm do it like YouTube/Twitter do. That would be crazy talk.
    Except they aren't searching their own content...?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Except they aren't searching their own content...?
    Youtube/Twitter/Facebook just recently began using these systems, Blizz may have just recently created systems to begin searching.
    But to this specific conversation, they are clearly stating they will be monitoring social media now (which may also be them starting to use the same systems to monitor their own forums since that is covered in social media). Again, it all depends on implementation. If they hit a few people that are just trying to offend people, no problem. But if the roll it out like YouTube where its hitting more innocent people than problem people (like their demonetization algorithm did...) that could be a problem

The idea I got from what Jeff said was that they were going to action people's accounts based on recorded in-game behavior they saw on youtube or other video platforms.

Like, if someone posts a video of an Overwatch match on Youtube and on a chat window my toon can be seen repeatedly spamming the n-word, then they'd look into banning me. Or if I posted a video of me doing everything I could to make my team lose, or a video of me harassing another player, then I'd get banned.

Not that they'd ban me based on a youtube/facebook comment. How would they even know it was me if my youtube/facebook identity is different from my blizzard identity?