Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Maiev is too tanky to be an assassin. We need a real elf to be a tank, and no, Johanna's spellbreaker skin does not count.

I am wondering if there is some potential shenanigans with a combo of W+E. As in, could you bind someone with W and then Blink away and drag them with you (-ish)? I'm assuming not but it would be funny. In any case I could see a possible use of W to drag people to your team in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Adramelch View Post
    I am wondering if there is some potential shenanigans with a combo of W+E. As in, could you bind someone with W and then Blink away and drag them with you (-ish)? I'm assuming not but it would be funny. In any case I could see a possible use of W to drag people to your team in a way.
    I though about this too , it should work like "If you aren't near me , you will get dragged" but as far as I've heard it is "if you run away from me , you will get dragged"

If a tethered Hero moves too far from Maiev, they are pulled toward her
    Last edited by Reza2001; 2018-01-27 at 07:55 PM.
    2Pac Forever !

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    That's not what they're doing though. They're trying to guilt me into acquiescence because she had cancer, so therefore I shouldn't dislike her voice. That is typical white knighting.
    No, we were just saying you casually mocking her "smoker's voice" was a sign of you being a dick, actually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reza2001 View Post
    It's a joke
    I really hope so, you can never tell on the internet.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    No, we were just saying you casually mocking her "smoker's voice" was a sign of you being a dick, actually.
    First off, I didn't know she had cancer. Second off, this could have easily been an intentional direction they went with for reasons unknown, even if her voice was fine. Her having cancer doesn't magically change how the voice sounds or whether I'll like it or not.

Deleted
    Hope they don't use her Legion voice, but there's no way they won't. Not a fan of 70 year old smoker's voice, sorry.
    I do agree with you, sister. Her performance is simply far from her prime work that she did in Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Maiev sounded grim, yet feminine. Her Legion rendition lacks it.

Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    It's still in the game though.
    I wasn't actually aware, but they removed the standard color for that Novazon skin.

Shes pretty Meh if im honest, I was hyped, and when i saw the spotlight all hype died x3 and once again another hero with a vaulting mechanic

Plus kinda sad they arnt shipping her with a priestress of the moon Skin to go with Tyannda Malfuiron and illdian

Quote Originally Posted by Fabray View Post
    I wasn't actually aware, but they removed the standard color for that Novazon skin.
    Yeah, they removed the tint that actually matched the colors of the D2 amazon that the skin was supposed to represent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because every Nelf sounds like an old woman who's smoked one too many cigs?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not what they're doing though. They're trying to guilt me into acquiescence because she had cancer, so therefore I shouldn't dislike her voice. That is typical white knighting.

Only one person gave legit criticism, which was people might get upset with a change of voice actor. I don't even remember how she sounded like in W3, but if it's not like how it's in Legion, then people should be upset regardless because the voice is different, even if the voice actor is the same. If Metzen started voice Thrall in a high pitch, I don't think anyone would say that's cool since it's still Metzen.
    Twas a joke, my friend. Why so serious?
    US - Eitrigg - <Bank Space is Magic>
    Delupi, Amoora, Jisu, Beahru, Rusa, Yeun, Neralyis, Usii, Razzil, Zaramja, Oshaz, Shawnie, Iziss, Gearsi(A)

Hope they don't use her Legion voice, but there's no way they won't. Not a fan of 70 year old smoker's voice, sorry.
    It's actually been the same voice actor since Warcraft 3.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    yeah the RPG is non cannon, has been since vanilla, it was made when there was no plan for world of warcraft.
    im suprised you think it was not retconned all the way to now, since we saw her in burning crusade...
    also nothing mentions her rage in her armor, so idk where you got that from, some head cannon it seems?
    I was aware the RPG was made non-canon, but again, I could have sworn that her death was briefly mentioned in WarCraft III itself as well. Likewise, I could have sworn that her reappearance in Burning Legion was explained by her now being a spirit, but I suppose it's possible it is something I came up with to justify her making a return, since even back then I thought she had died. Like, I also thought she just faded away at the end of Black Temple, having finally killed Illidan and fulfilled her purpose. I haven't played WoW since Cataclysm, and only keep track of the new expansions in broad strokes, so I was actually unaware that she showed up again in Legion. I only recently became aware of that after Blizzard started posting the teaser gifs, and saw people pointing out the similarity to cutscenes in Legion that featured her.

*shrugs* Again, it's been quite some time since I've played either WarCraft III or WoW, and my memory (and grasp on reality, it seems) has never been all that great.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RadasNoir View Post
    I was aware the RPG was made non-canon, but again, I could have sworn that her death was briefly mentioned in WarCraft III itself as well. Likewise, I could have sworn that her reappearance in Burning Legion was explained by her now being a spirit, but I suppose it's possible it is something I came up with to justify her making a return, since even back then I thought she had died. Like, I also thought she just faded away at the end of Black Temple, having finally killed Illidan and fulfilled her purpose. I haven't played WoW since Cataclysm, and only keep track of the new expansions in broad strokes, so I was actually unaware that she showed up again in Legion. I only recently became aware of that after Blizzard started posting the teaser gifs, and saw people pointing out the similarity to cutscenes in Legion that featured her.

*shrugs* Again, it's been quite some time since I've played either WarCraft III or WoW, and my memory (and grasp on reality, it seems) has never been all that great.
    burning crusade, not burning legion.
    and yeah little was known what maiev did after killing illidan, as he did point out she is nothing without the hunt, and he was right, she felt unfufilled just killing him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of Thorns View Post
    I do agree with you, sister. Her performance is simply far from her prime work that she did in Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Maiev sounded grim, yet feminine. Her Legion rendition lacks it.
    same voice avtor, different voice because of throat cancer, so yeah legion voice, also i like the far more grizzeled angry and tortured voice.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by thevoicefromwithin View Post
    Why the garbage bin look (stocky and full helmet) and not the classic WC III one (elegant and leather mask)? The skillset certainly looks interesting though.
    Despite how much I loathe the post WC3 designs for Maiev with her face not being visible, I think that this design is pretty alright. I will always prefer her with an open faceplate though and maybe a mask to hide her face when she likes to. This works fine for me, though.

This is a real world weapon from ancient Chinese martial arts known as a feng huo lun, or "wind and fire wheel":

Another variation:

Basically, the weapon that "strains every inch of credulity" you have is just a scaled up version of an actual, existing weapon.
    And, from what I have been able to tell from my research into this weapon for the past four years, there is no set size that the weapon has. However, I don't think that it's neccesarily a good weapon. It's probably a weapon that is 'for ritualistic purposes only'. But then, so are many other weapons that people love. So I don't see a problem with this weapon. It also has my fascination because it's topology, center of mass and center of percussion is so radically different than other weapons. I am HYPED to see Maiev wield the weapon using traditional arts from India. I don't remember the name at the moment, but there's a type of dance that involve wheel designs like this.

Glad to see others who are enthused about the weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Hmm, not as satisfied with this design as I thought. I would have preferred something closer to Warcraft 3 too. I miss the open faced helm, the blades on the cape and the wings on the back crescents.

Oddly enough, a couple of the things I want are in Tyrande's Warden skin.
    Yup. For me, that'd be the open faceplate.

I would also prefer the crescent on Maiev's back to be winged like in WC3. Don't get me wrong, I actually like that the model transitions from having a model with all of it's feathers to one where the feathers are plucked, but I wish that the 'plucked feathers' aspect of the crescent on her back was emphasized. Mostly because I've been thinking about this character and it's design for the past 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    She apparently has 15 armor on her trait, so she might be quite tanky.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverdragon234 View Post
    Maiev is too tanky to be an assassin. We need a real elf to be a tank, and no, Johanna's spellbreaker skin does not count.
    That's pretty interesting. I pushed for her to be a tank character. See below!

I'm not saying it's not logical, or that she shoudn't sound like that for lore reasons. I'm saying I don't like it, and I wish they didn't make her sound so bad. Not sure why half this thread is people white knighting like I said that I'm happy the voice actress had cancer or something. It's okay to not like things!
    There's a difference between not liking something and complaining that you wish it were different and even suggesting that Blizzard made the wrong call here. You wish that the original voice actor gets fired, because you have an aesthetic disagreement with the results of both in-character torture and real-life cancer? I'm sorry, but there's no way you can get out of that looking good. Maybe learn to rephrase your opinions less like complaints and more like, you know, opinions. You don't have to be complaining to have an opinion or blaming Blizzard for a creative decision.

they are telling you why it is
    they are telling you why they are fine with it
    they are telling you why they disagree with your opinion
    they are telling you why it makes sense
    they are not trying to kick you off the internet
    stop trying to act like a victem
    The above, pretty much. I mean, yes, I am white knighting, but the rest wasn't.

Now! For the comments about Maiev being a tank;

h t t p s : / / w w w . h e r o e s f i r e . c o m / h o t s / c o n c e p t / w i p - m a i e v - s h a d o w s o n g - 3 1 5

I made this concept over on HeroesFire a long while ago. I made this in May 2015. There, I imagined Maiev with a skillset pretty similar to this, except I classed her as a warrior. It had a passive that was also intended to avoid burst damage, though in my case, it was a version Shadowmeld that also shielded her while she was cloaked and stationary. Exactly like her Umbral Bind, I suggested an ability called "Warden's Clutch" which, similar to now, would work with her ability "Fan of Knives". I even mentioned in the entry I made in HeroesFire how players would be encouraged to stay within the aura of Warden's Clutch, though in my case, the fan of knives would be a continuous effect that would cover a quarter of the aura. It also had a blink, of course, but that one is pretty obvious.

I'm really happy that, whether or not they used my design from way-back-when or whether we just happened to think along the same line, that we did think along the same line. I'm also a lot happier about her ultimates than what I had originally suggested.

Deleted
    same voice avtor, different voice because of throat cancer, so yeah legion voice, also i like the far more grizzeled angry and tortured voice.
    Wow she continued her work after throat cancer? Have you some source for that?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zahard View Post
    Wow she continued her work after throat cancer? Have you some source for that?
    Was unable to find the source except for this

ah so did alot more research, the throat cancer thing was a joke
    but she did fuck up her throat voice acting and had to have surgery, leading to the new maiev voice, but since having recovered fully well they cant just change her voice so.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

I made a concept for this character back in May 2015. It's interesting how some of the ideas for the kit seem to match so closely with what the current design ended up being. The passive being a way to escape burst damage, though mine was also coupled with stealth. Q being a fan of knives ability. W being a tether, mine called 'Warden's Clutch' and the new version being called 'Umbral Bind'. E being a blink ability (though I had a faster one in mind). Even one of the ultimates matches one of the designs I had for body-blocking watchers being summoned.

I really wish I could ask the devs whether they were inspired by the concept on HeroesFire, but I'll settle for me being wishful-thinking or having thought along the same lines.

This is a real world weapon from ancient Chinese martial arts known as a feng huo lun, or "wind and fire wheel":

Another variation:

Basically, the weapon that "strains every inch of credulity" you have is just a scaled up version of an actual, existing weapon.
    It's great to see more people enthusiastic about this weapon! it's also intersting that, at least I think, that the weapon is more practical than the real-life counterpart. You can invert the grip on the weapon and use the points for stabbing in a way you can't for the historical examples. It also makes more sense to have a bigger wheel and using only one, in combination with, say, a dagger or a sword.

Can I also just say that I love how they incorporated the hoop dance? That's a traditional type of dance used in India that I found in my research. It's not martial, but it's definitely great looking and mesmerizing to see fully animated on the HotS model.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Hmm, not as satisfied with this design as I thought. I would have preferred something closer to Warcraft 3 too. I miss the open faced helm, the blades on the cape and the wings on the back crescents.
    It's uncanny how much we think alike! Yes, the wings on the black crescent I wish were present in this design. However, I do appreciate that the evolution of the character shows how the feathers of the wings have been 'plucked' as it were. I deconstructed the armor that Maiev uses a long while ago and one of the things that I liked the most was the open-faced helmet. I'll be frank, though, I didn't even notice that her cloak didn't have the dagger tips. That's a shame, but then again, me not noticing them may say something about the design being better this way? I dunno, I'd love to see a comparison of someone putting them back in there to see how it changes the design.

Can I just take a second to appreciate though how the umbral crescent is the original design and not the design used in Legion? I don't mind the Legion design, but the Samwise version of the Umbral Crescent looks soooo much better, imo. I'd want Samwise' design for body armor and umbral crescent coupled with the wing designs and open-faced helmet from the WC3 model.

Deleted
    burning crusade, not burning legion.
    and yeah little was known what maiev did after killing illidan, as he did point out she is nothing without the hunt, and he was right, she felt unfufilled just killing him.

- - - Updated - - -

Sister, I know it is the same voice actor, but her performance dropped significantly. I don't. She lacks mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza2001 View Post
    I though about this too , it should work like "If you aren't near me , you will get dragged" but as far as I've heard it is "if you run away from me , you will get dragged"
    In the vid u see her run away from the enemy to force it "if she hits u try to stay in her range to avoid being pulled"

So maybe. I could see her wraith canceling it
    Romance doesnt detract from a story. Its a Genre, like horror or comedy or adventure. The game was ruined when we got Horror in drustvar or nazmir. It wasnt ruined when we had funny quests. So if you think a little man on man love ruins the game, then yes you are either a homophobe or just a spoil sport that goes "ewww kissing is yucky" like a baby. Furthermore, if a character has never expressed interest in any gender, then its not proof they are straight. straight people are not the default