Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Dr Who's been going downhill for a while now.

This was last year.

#boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Dr Who's been going downhill for a while now.

This was last year.

That dude is as annoying as when anita complains about video games being anti-woman.

Here's the problem: one's gender (or sexuality, or race, etc) *is* often a notable thing in real life. Not necessarily because the person of the minority gender/sexuality/race wants it to be a thing, but because it's a thing naturally because of being the abnormality. Maybe it's less so for women in general because they are literally 50% of the population, but women in traditionally male roles, certainly. That's certainly true for race and sexuality. People make a thing of the fact that I'm a brown man with a beard, not me.

When Bill, last season, immediately rebuffed the Roman soldier, saying she was into girls, that didn't strike me as off-base or "pushing her lesbianism on others" to me. Minorities are often in the situation where they are forced to explain themselves for merely abdicating social norms (in this case, flirting). What I thought was clever was the note that this wasn't unusual to the Roman soldiers, one of whom was also openly gay. It subverts the normal trope of everyone being uncomfortable around the queer folk, and emphasized that in some way, in re: sexual norms, we've regressed from Roman times, where homosexuality wasn't taboo. Which should shock the viewer and make them think.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    It subverts the normal trope of everyone being uncomfortable around the queer folk, and emphasized that in some way, in re: sexual norms, we've regressed from Roman times, where homosexuality wasn't taboo. Which should shock the viewer and make them think.
    No, that doesnt work. Being accepting of homosexuality or women rights is the norm in society. It wouldnt shock the viewer or make them think. We're at a point where a shock event would be if the Doctor embraced Thatcher. That would shock the viewer and make them think.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    No, that doesnt work. Being accepting of homosexuality or women rights is the norm in society. It wouldnt shock the viewer or make them think. We're at a point where a shock event would be if the Doctor embraced Thatcher. That would shock the viewer and make them think.
    if you truly think that then you must be very sheltered or live in a place like portland oregon.

i live in the south and i have gay friends who constantly have to point out that theyre gay for one reason or another and get a very varied mix of responses. with young people its a normal thing, but theres plenty of older people, even as young as there 30's or late 20's who freak out or start acting weird around them once they find out.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by imabanana View Post
    Last month I went back to see my family and had all those end-of-the-year extended family gatherings. There's still a table for women and one for men in those, women go help in the kitchen while men go drink together in the cellar. The only homosexual couple in it (at least only one who dared to announce it, there's at least one more) has skipped these for years now because of shitty comments from way too many people, and she is (was?) a very close first cousin.

I'd like to live in your world too.
    Meh that's anecdotal. The truth is when you look at mainstream culture it is widely accepted. If you want shock value, then you have to go in some other direction to make the audience think.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

New logo.

I really really like the new logo
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda torn... It's a REALLY cool logo, but it doesn't scream "Doctor Who" to me. It's so different from what we've seen before... But as I'm guessing that's going to be a recurring theme this season, I'm just rolling with it .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I'm kinda torn... It's a REALLY cool logo, but it doesn't scream "Doctor Who" to me. It's so different from what we've seen before... But as I'm guessing that's going to be a recurring theme this season, I'm just rolling with it .
    i disagree, i look at that and i instantly think gallifreyan

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i disagree, i look at that and i instantly think gallifreyan
    Really? Because to me those two samples COULDN'T be more different. The only similarity is the colour, both are an orangey bronze.

The Galifreyan is all about circles and interlocking parts, the new logo is all harsh straight lines, and the only but that is vaguely similar is the line from the H cutting across the O. Which funnily enough, is my favourite part of the logo, fancy that?

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Am I the only one who has noticed the 1 or 2 similarities to the Horizon: Zero Dawn logo?

It's got that whole "horizon line" thing going in the middle and even the "H" is designed almost the same way, complete with a similar "kink" effect where the middle line meets.

Secondly, in regards to the Circle verson, I actually thought the idea was it was meant to be a clockface with the logo's "horizon line" acting like a clock hand.

No way I can accept it as some "Gallifreyan" design, because it's just a simple circle with the logo version of "Who" in it. If that was the case, every children's mathbook would be considered designed by Gallifreyans. ;P
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2018-02-21 at 11:48 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't remotely look like the Horizon logo.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    It doesn't remotely look like the Horizon logo.
    Knowing somebody would cast a knee-jerk defensive generalization like this is why I specified "the 1 or 2 similarities". >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    Knowing somebody would cast a knee-jerk defensive generalization like this is why I specified "the 1 or 2 similarities". >_<
    Not sure how you would classidy as 'defensive' considering I like both artistic properties. It's cool that you like controversy, but it was just a literal statement with no hidden agenda. I just don't see it at all. It has letters which naturally have swoopies through them when we write them. So..eh? Idk.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Not sure how you would classidy as 'defensive' considering I like both artistic properties. It's cool that you like controversy, but it was just a literal statement with no hidden agenda. I just don't see it at all. It has letters which naturally have swoopies through them when we write them. So..eh? Idk.
    I have no idea what this means... but I do like the word "Swoopies" for some reason. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvaliz View Post
    I have no idea what this means... but I do like the word "Swoopies" for some reason. ^_^
    Hehe...yeah, not a real word but it is pleasing to the ear.

Just stating that I meant no controversy or anything, I just see normal English letters. Maybe my eyes are broken, idk.
    BAD WOLF

"Talk to those in the know about the hopes and dreams of Chris Chibnall-era Doctor Who and there is one word on their lips – family.

That certainly seems to be the watchword for the new era as Jodie Whitaker takes charge of the Tardis for series 11, according to production sources.

Not only does that seem to be the desired “vibe” between the new companions played by Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill, who will follow Whittaker’s Doctor through Time and Space. But new showrunner Chibnall is also said to be very keen to make it a show that more families will sit down and watch.

Filming has already started on the new run late last autumn and the precise relationship between the multi-companion set up has not been revealed.

But whatever their relationship, the feeling according to one production source is that the adventurers are a family – with Walsh’s character Graham taking a “parental” role.

“The first Doctor played by William Hartnell was a grandfather to Susan and he had the companions Ian and Barbara in these early adventures,” said a source. “Chris’s show will be very much its own thing but that is kind of the vibe.”

Another source added: “There is a feeling that the drama has been complicated by self-referential plotting at times and Chris wants his Doctor Who to be a show notable for its emotional intelligence.”

Last year Chibnall revealed in an interview with the Royal Television Society’s magazine Television that he was after “risk and boldness” with his version of the show – a fact demonstrated by his decision to cast the first female Doctor.

But it seems that his plans also involve a keen desire to restore its appeal as a family show, as noted by Chibnall’s friend and collaborator, the director James Strong.

“It used to be – and I stress this is my personal opinion – at the heart of the schedule, an unmissable family show and, for some reason, it’s slipped a bit from the national consciousness,” said Strong in the same piece.

“For me, when it goes towards story*lines that are a little bit more for the fans, I think you can lose that general appeal. I think Chris is going to offer a slightly different take on what the show should be… I think Chris, essentially, writes emotional thrillers, and that’s perfect for that show.”

Jodie Whittaker’s very first episode in the BBC sci-fi series will be 65 minutes long, properly introducing the Thirteenth Doctor and her Tardis team before reverting to a shorter 50-minute format for the series’ nine subsequent instalments.

The Corporation has confirmed that the new series will air in the autumn – with many speculating that it will begin in October."

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2018-...of-doctor-who/

so, basically more like rtd era where he valued relationships and emotional impact over story progression or lore.

so, Thirteen is a chique now?
    How and why?
    Please enlighten me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm cool with that. Strong relationships between the characters are important, it's harder to invest in the plot when you don't give a fuck about the characters.