Poll: Should parents be allowed to Microchip their kids?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...then your kids grow up thinking your the creepiest person in the world.

I do not support micro-chipping my kid. However, I do support tracking their cell phones (they would know the GPS function is active), as well as trackers on clothing. After all, I would be purchasing those things, so they would be my property. I do not believe my children are my property, they are merely under my care.

Quote Originally Posted by X Amadeus X View Post

It's a more recent debate, but I have heard it picking up steam a little bit, mostly because I work in security, one of the constant concerns especially in public settings is about the safety of children. If a child is ever lost or kidnapped it could be a helpful tool.

we could just do this to people we deport and it'd be easier to see if they come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The chip they implanted in that kid did way more than tracking. It wasn’t the tracking that caused the kid issues. It was the mother having the ability to censor bad things and seeing what the kid saw.
    spoilers! lol

but still, wouldn't be just your parents tracking you and would you really trust that they wouldn't add extra "functionality" at some point in time, with or without your knowledge.
    <insert witty signature here>

I am aware of the world and reality around.
    Not really. This thread is a testament to that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Just like circumcision, or choosing their religion for them.
    Agreed.

10chars

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    My son doesn’t have rights to privacy in reguards to me. And I feel any parents in this day and age who who tries to respect a none adult child’s privacy is doing it waaaay wrong. On topic tho, no I would never chip my kid, more so for the reason that I wouldn’t be the only one with access to it then ethical reasons. Hackers exist and kidnappers would start cutting into kids to find hidden chips if they became a norm.
    Privacy regarding things such as, forcing chips into their bodies.....

Maybe - said kids must be extensively educated on the existence and impact(pros/cons) of the microchip, and they reserve the right to remove it when they are of adult age.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another step to apocalypse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing is 100% secure, it could potentialy be very helpful tool for pedophiles.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    24/7 surveillance without cause IS "arbitrary and unlawful".
    A, Parents are legally responsible for the actions of their children, 24/7 -
    B, Parents have cause.
    C, In this context, it isn't arbitrary.
    D, The text is clear that there is a gradual maturation of right's given to children (there is for example a right to be informed about medical decisions, and have a voice - Naturally this is respected with regards to say, Teenagers, but not with toddlers).
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smokii View Post
    spoilers! lol
    Not sure that counts as a spoiler, that's the concept of the episode.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, hysteria and paranoia aren't actual arguments, based on conjecture of what some think could happen vs what actually is and does which is kids go missing and this could be a very useful tool for good.
    As I said, this will be what it will be marketed as, in fact it might serve that purpose just fine. Just like any appliance or tool it can serve its designated purpose, in an age where national laws are steadily undermined by corporate interests, where privacy among other citizen rights are steadily eroding in favor of said interests, it's not much of a conjecture when there's already examples of where things can lead to. Technology is fine but the mindset about it is too naive. Usually the law is much slower than technological progress, these days much more so than in the past, it can dictate its own terms where to head to once it's in the market, after that usually lawmakers usually follow the same patterns. I say: Create laws regulating this kind of technology first before allowing to be passed for sale. These days it's often the other way around which allows for most peculiar things to happen.

From a practical aspect however I don't see it much of use, the problem is that the transmission range of such devices is limited by range and signal strength. As an implant it would be difficult to realize because the power source would have to be fairly significant in capacity and size, and that won't change for a while since Li ion is going to be staple for a long while, and you would have to charge it frequently. There is also the matter of heat dissipation and concurrent current leaks which can be significant under circumstances. Thus it would be only feasible as short-range device with fairly weak signal and primitive protocol, so it might be vulnerable to interferences whilst security will also remain an issue - and here I am going back to the issue at hand: who codes the stuff behind and who rolls out security updates? You know companies usually really make the least effort on software side resulting in buggy firmware prone to attacks. The issues are already quantifiable by past incidents of similar kind (see also: hacked cars). If you know about this then you can pretty much cancel out the effectiveness of such a device or making it easy to plant duds leading to an even greater security risk than before. Before that parents might get worried about their kid even when it's fine, now they might only get worried when the signal is gone. It's pretty natural for parents to be worried but such devices may preach false security, every crime there is has seen a technological adaptation as well.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Privacy regarding things such as, forcing chips into their bodies.....
    There are two considerations here - One is the privacy angle, the other is the medical angle.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Leotheras the Blind View Post
    No... if you want to chip your kid, give them a wrist/ankle bracelet, or a necklace, or an earring, etc with a chip in it that they will have on them all the time. Chipping their actual body is fucked up.
    I have thought about getting a chip in my hand - It's kinda neat.

I have 2 kids, and the idea of this (knowing where they are, etc) would make it much easier for me to keep them safe. (I have a feeling a lot of the "No" answers are coming from non-parents.)

And I'm a pretty sex-positive dad, so I wouldn't use it to make sure my daughter is firmly controlled, or w/e. But then again, a lot of parents WOULD, so, it's probably not the best idea. Some kind of tracker that they can remove (but a kidnapper cannot remove) would be preferred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    Do you have a cellphone?
    you can turn a phone off.
    #boycottchina

There are two considerations here - One is the privacy angle, the other is the medical angle.
    Personally I think it violates both - its unnecessary and ridiculous.

A, Parents are legally responsible for the actions of their children, 24/7 -
    B, Parents have cause.
    C, In this context, it isn't arbitrary.
    D, The text is clear that there is a gradual maturation of right's given to children (there is for example a right to be informed about medical decisions, and have a voice - Naturally this is respected with regards to say, Teenagers, but not with toddlers).
    A They're not, unless you can prove neglect. If a teenager finds a gun on his way to school and harms someone, it's absolutely not reasonable to punish the parents. For a toddler, that would be a different matter. Generalizations like these, however, are wrong.
    B That is debatable and dependant on a lot of factors.
    C 24/7 surveillance is the textbook definition of "arbitrary"
    D Kids don't have the maturity to judge this decision and its consequences, and thus cannot make an informed decision. They have to be protected from this by their parents at all costs. Heck, even some adults don't understand the implications, as seen in this very thread.

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, so what is wrong with that, as has been stated, inmates, people who are mentally ill, elderly hell depending on the device your average everyday normal person who perhaps maybe wants certain assurances.

Although personally what I invision would be more like an Amber Alert system.
    What makes you think criminals wouldn't just cut it from their skin?

What makes you think it couldn't be hacked into and used to target vulnerable people?

And if anyone is that paranoid they need to be chipped is pretty pathetic.
    #boycottchina

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hell no. Kids are not dogs.

People here not understanding how chips work...

There are NO GPS capable chips that can be implanted in humans and there will NOT be any in the next 50 years at least.

GPS is fairly power hungry and it requires an active CPU and a good antenna. You can't fit that in a chip, let alone power it. And then you have to transmit the data somehow, most likely to a cell tower. An average cell phone transmits at 1W with a fairly big antenna and a powerful battery. That's not going to happen with any kind of implantable chip any time soon.

Please, if you think technology is some kind of "magic", don't post opinions about it.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2018-01-29 at 01:24 PM.

Why not?

Especially if it gives them a super power, like seeing through walls.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    If you are really worried about your child, you could give them a bracelet with a tracker, they are sold in many different types, and sizes.
    And easily removed. The reason you microchip your kids is so when they say they are going to the library to study, and instead go to a friends house to party, get drunk, and have sex, you know they lied and didn't go to the library and you can show up at the arty and drag them out by their ear

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Somewhere it can be taken off when/if the kid doesn’t want to be tracked.
    Youre ridiculous, and likely a kid who likes to be sneaky and do things you aren't supposed to. They would never want to be tracked. Good parents would do so though