Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Deleting an MMO-Champion account.

How does one delete an MMO-Champion account?

---------- Post added 2011-12-08 at 01:15 PM ----------

I guess moving this thread to suggestions and feedback is your way of telling me I can't do it?

Deleted
    Usually can't remove accounts cus sites obviously want as many accounts registered as possible

I'm going to go ahead and assume that simply not wanting to be a part of the MMO-Champion community anymore is not a satisfactory reason.

Thank you for the response.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Goincommando View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and assume that simply not wanting to be a part of the MMO-Champion community anymore is not a satisfactory reason.

Thank you for the response.
    couldnt you just stop posting and visiting the site if you dont want to be part of the community? thats if the account can't be deleted.

You could just not use your account... You don't need to delete it.

gotta delete my account to show how mad I am at the community!

But seriously, just don't login? Hell even block the page through your router if you feel the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner563 View Post
    gotta delete my account to show how mad I am at the community!

But seriously, just don't login? Hell even block the page through your router if you feel the need.
    You assume too much. After I stop posting the account will serve no purpose, and therefore should not exist. I was simply inquiring as to how I could delete it. Hell, I assumed they would want inactive accounts to be deleted, I thought I was doing them a favor going into this post. I was wrong.

You could always do something to get banned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aeleas View Post
    You could always do something to get banned.
    Still don't think account would be deleted though. And would be a pathetic/immature way to go about it.

Someone linked above how to go about it, so just do that. Although why bother going through all the hassle, when you can just not visit the site!
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

We can delete your account if you ask, but we're also obligated to keep logs of important stuff for legal purposes. Wouldn't want you to plan the murder of the mods on the forums, kill them, and us deleting all the proofs. (Well, not really, but you get the idea)

Deleted
    How does this work with the EU legislation on the right to be forgotten?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    We can delete your account if you ask, but we're also obligated to keep logs of important stuff for legal purposes. Wouldn't want you to plan the murder of the mods on the forums, kill them, and us deleting all the proofs. (Well, not really, but you get the idea)
    Eh see my above. I'm wondering how the no delete option is legal with the EU legislation on the right to be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by tripconn View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Eh see my above. I'm wondering how the no delete option is legal with the EU legislation on the right to be forgotten.
    Holy necro, Batman.
    I belive above all else, this over6 y/o thread has a right to be forgotten.

Deleted
    Probs but I didn't see a better place to ask the question. And wasn't sure about making a new thread on it inviting hurp durp let's discuss the eu comments.

Also until blizz gives me necromancer class I need to fulfill my class fantasy some how

Sheesh this thread is old, I remember posting in it though!

I think the Right to be forgotten doesn't really work the likes of forum accounts;

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The right to be forgotten leads to allowing individuals to have information, videos or photographs about themselves deleted from certain internet records so that they cannot be found by search engines
    (S: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_...gal_frameworks)

Yeah, yeah, I know... Wikipedia.. but I'm not a lawyer so w/e.

Basically, if you had posted about yourself, then it could work... But posting about WoW stuff or whatever isn't gonna' cut it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    Sheesh this thread is old, I remember posting in it though!

I think the Right to be forgotten doesn't really work the likes of forum accounts;

Yeah, yeah, I know... Wikipedia.. but I'm not a lawyer so w/e.

Basically, if you had posted about yourself, then it could work... But posting about WoW stuff or whatever isn't gonna' cut it.
    I agree I think the law is covered because you can just stop using the account and make a new one using the magic of Internet anonymity if you want to be better without the past baggage. (the intention of the law)

Though youre ip is logged I'm not sure if that falls under personal information in the EU or not :/

I agree I think the law is covered because you can just stop using the account and make a new one using the magic of Internet anonymity if you want to be better without the past baggage. (the intention of the law)

Though youre ip is logged I'm not sure if that falls under personal information in the EU or not :/
    I doubt it considering you can very easily change IP. Either way, I imagine the laws will be based on where the site is hosted more than just other laws, or even just one law overriding the other (see Boub's example about them covering their own asses in case someone plots to kill someone here and then they delete that post).

Quote Originally Posted by Migari View Post
    Please see the FAQ at the top of the forum.

(Writing on my iPad so sorry if there are any spelling mistakes. >.<)
    Providing MMO-Champion provides accounts to EU citizens (it does) then as of May 25th 2018, it will be required to allow users to delete their accounts (in actual fact - to delete their data) because of Article 17 of GDPR. I suspect requests for deletion based on that to be rare for something like MMO-Champion, but you never know.

Deleted
    I doubt it considering you can very easily change IP. Either way, I imagine the laws will be based on where the site is hosted more than just other laws, or even just one law overriding the other (see Boub's example about them covering their own asses in case someone plots to kill someone here and then they delete that post).
    Yea true ty 4 the answers

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Providing MMO-Champion provides accounts to EU citizens (it does) then as of May 25th 2018, it will be required to allow users to delete their accounts (in actual fact - to delete their data) because of Article 17 of GDPR. I suspect requests for deletion based on that to be rare for something like MMO-Champion, but you never know.
    Ah cool so it is thought about

It probably does actually. See (http://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/...&#39;-GDPR.htm) If there is anything that is considered to be personal information (name, email address would count as this), then there is a right to be forgotten unless it can be shown that there is still a "need" to keep this based on legal requirements or other legal basis for processing.

I am unsure of the difference this makes, but as this site is owned by Curse who are a legal entity then they will be bound by international law which would be used by EU to "enforce" compliance in other areas. Of course, it remains to be seen how much this is pursued or what the results will be. Case law needs to be established probably to be sure of this.

- - - Updated - - -

To a degree you are right - the laws of the area where the site is hosted will be used. However some foreign laws can also apply to sites operating in one location that server other areas. This is why US sites that sell items to EU citizens now have to add VAT. Similarly due (I believe) to international treaties when the EU GDPR says that companies outside the EU store or process data about an EU citizen they have to abide by the GDPR, this is theoretically at least binding to site hosted outside the EU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassidin View Post
    Mmm champion also thinks it's immune from eu freedom of expression laws.