Highfather's Machination: works as intended?

Dear all,
    yesterday I dropped this lovely trinket on my resto shaman. I tried it in a m+, looking for some nice heals with the buffs (around 1.5m hp on 5 stacks).

During a +13, a lot of damage comes out, but when the healt of dps went down to 10% the buff didn't consume and nobody had been healed. Still the buff was on 5 stacks.

Does this happen to someone else?

I never heard of that nor did it happen to myself.
    Could that be some weird bugged interaction with necrotic?

7+ Year Old Account
    I find this rather frequent in some places. For instances, last boss in CoS. I get healing out of it during the fight, so something is proccing it, but I'll have someone with 5 stacks drop down to 10% during the Slicing Maelstrom and it wont consume the stacks. I haven't looked into logs to see if it's different per person or something about abilities, though.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTiddles View Post
    I find this rather frequent in some places. For instances, last boss in CoS. I get healing out of it during the fight, so something is proccing it, but I'll have someone with 5 stacks drop down to 10% during the Slicing Maelstrom and it wont consume the stacks. I haven't looked into logs to see if it's different per person or something about abilities, though.
    This. Got the same issue on second boss of EoA +13. Kinda sad about that... The Necrotic affix has zero interaction with dps, normally. So i really don't have a clue.

I don't know about OP's example where the stacks stay up, but I have noticed in 20+ M+'s where people are hit hard from full regularly, machinations is wasted because it procs before the large hit is received. In raids where people are often dying because they weren't topped off and this may stop death from a large hit, this is great for raids since people seem to never be topped off, but in M+, this makes it often a complete waste. It may have something to do with the damage sourcing being tagged as from a guardian or something other than a direct enemy would be my guesses for these examples.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryklin View Post
    I don't know about OP's example where the stacks stay up, but I have noticed in 20+ M+'s where people are hit hard from full regularly, machinations is wasted because it procs before the large hit is received. In raids where people are often dying because they weren't topped off and this may stop death from a large hit, this is great for raids since people seem to never be topped off, but in M+, this makes it often a complete waste. It may have something to do with the damage sourcing being tagged as from a guardian or something other than a direct enemy would be my guesses for these examples.
    This sounds likely. If it is the dmg from the clones in CoS or if it is dmg from other players that pushes the player under the threshold, it might not trigger.

Just remember to fill in a bug report each time you notice something that might be a bug.

Do any of you (@Vyreza @ItsTiddles) by any chance have any logs from your tries? I would like to have a look.

I think in essence it might come down to what abilities count as a "hit". From my past experience with things like Focused Will/Water Shield, devs have messed around with what counts as a hit and what not (especially in the case of pbaoe and ground aoe) that it's unclear. Dungeons have plenty environmental damage which don't interact well with on damage taken effects (like falling damage). Most dot effects also don't count as hits unless it's the application. Any number of these could be the cause, and with m+ scaling and these initially harmless things becoming deadly, a slight breeze could knock a player's health past the threshold.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoads View Post
    This sounds likely. If it is the dmg from the clones in CoS or if it is dmg from other players that pushes the player under the threshold, it might not trigger.

Just remember to fill in a bug report each time you notice something that might be a bug.

Do any of you (@Vyreza @ItsTiddles) by any chance have any logs from your tries? I would like to have a look.
    I had looked at the Court logs that I mentioned and it appeared that it was proccing when it should, but the in game frames still showed 5 stacks. However, I was looking at this DHT log after it felt like the same thing was happening on Dresaron and stacks were staying through Earthshaking Roar.

Retired Shaman
    Signature by Winter Blossom

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTiddles View Post
    I had looked at the Court logs that I mentioned and it appeared that it was proccing when it should, but the in game frames still showed 5 stacks. However, I was looking at this DHT log after it felt like the same thing was happening on Dresaron and stacks were staying through Earthshaking Roar.
    I know this post is old but that is considered "enviromental" damage similar to falling dmg