Poll: Should parents be allowed to Microchip their kids?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    That is absolutely not logic.

Milk is good for children, because they are growing, and need calcium for strong bones.

Clearly, milk is good for everyone, and should be forcibly given at every meal, regardless of whether or not you are lactose-intolerant, vegan, deathly afraid of cows, etc.

In this case, a chip could be helpful for lost or abducted children, as they are actively being searched for by their parents, and are generally not so great at finding their own way home from wherever they might have gotten to.

If my wife was kidnapped and left in a shopping mall in a city she has never been to, she could read signs to find out where she is, read a map to find out where she needs to go, and communicate effectively with people she met along the way to try to get there.

If my 2 year old son was kidnapped and left in a shopping mall in a city he has never been to, he would sit on the floor crying inconsolably until my wife or I arrived. He would probably vomit on himself, as he has a tendency to do so when extremely upset. He would probably be brought to a local hospital by whatever mall security (lol) person found him. He would probably be listed as John Doe on a list of missing children, while he knows his name (first, middle, and last name!), he is not fond of sharing it with people he doesn't know. He would probably become a ward of the state wherever he is found. I may or may not ever find him, largely dependent on how the random strangers who find him handle the situation.

But yeah, chipping kids with parent's consent and chipping parents by the government because reasons is totes the same.
    But your not providing any arguments against chipping an adult. The chip doesn't harm the adult, and would help should the adult become kidnapped. Perhaps your wife could find her way home, but if she is unable to escape the authorities could locate and rescue her.

Provided the kidnappers don't just remove the chip...

Fuck that. Children are human beings and have rights.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raone View Post
    Not true, I did make a joke from it but if a child did get lost in like a grocery store or parking lot or somewhere else and the parent/adult didn't realise it yet, he/she could use his/her tracker to find his/her parents instead of getting more lost or wandering somewhere they shouldn't. I feel if anything you do to a child should be also okay to an adult, if there was a rule that if you chip a child then you have to be chipped yourself I actually would be totally okay with it, I still wouldn't do it though
    But in this case the child would not have a choice, and the adult would. Your statement that anything you do to a child should be done to an adult is just illogical. Should a two-year-old get the same consent form to sign as an adult?

Also the biggest thing from this that nobody is thinking about is the possible emotional damage this could do to a child who knows there is a chip in their body. Most kids will probably be perfectly fine with it but some it may mess with their heads causing them to do possible self mutilation. I know if I had a chip in my arm as a child it would freak me out constantly. I never did anything wrong as a kid but just the idea of having it in my arm freaks me out right now sitting here. I know there is some kids who will take it as a "big gov is watching me all the time" mental breakdown. This is something we can't really discuss though because there is no way to know unless studies happen.
    The child does not have to know about it. Goodbye emotional issue. Next.

Also do you tell your child? Not telling them could cause serious trust issues in the future and cause them to act out the moment you remove it but also telling them could cause other trust issues as in the child thinking their parents have 0 faith in me that is why they are tracking me. Also we all know teenagers, they don't think past what is happening now, they won't care that your doing it make sure they are safe they will ONLY think its you don't trust them at all and they will resent you for it possibly damaging your relationship with them.

Again all stuff that can't really be discussed/proven without studies.
    Not until later. Also, you make all these arguments that require studies and proof, and then say never mind, we need more studies. So . . . never mind then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caaethil View Post
    Fuck that. Children are human beings and have rights.
    Not the way you mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...more likely that kidnappers won't bother with a chipped child..
    How would they know which child is chipped?

Do you put a sign on them when they go out? ***Warning this child is protected by a chip monitoring service!***
    Last edited by Hilhen7; 2018-01-29 at 09:01 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    But your not providing any arguments against chipping an adult. The chip doesn't harm the adult, and would help should the adult become kidnapped. Perhaps your wife could find her way home, but if she is unable to escape the authorities could locate and rescue her.

Exactly. Just one little addition - the adult can choose, child can't. Solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    That is absolutely not logic.

Milk is good for children, because they are growing, and need calcium for strong bones.

Clearly, milk is good for everyone, and should be forcibly given at every meal, regardless of whether or not you are lactose-intolerant, vegan, deathly afraid of cows, etc.

In this case, a chip could be helpful for lost or abducted children, as they are actively being searched for by their parents, and are generally not so great at finding their own way home from wherever they might have gotten to.

If my wife was kidnapped and left in a shopping mall in a city she has never been to, she could read signs to find out where she is, read a map to find out where she needs to go, and communicate effectively with people she met along the way to try to get there.

If my 2 year old son was kidnapped and left in a shopping mall in a city he has never been to, he would sit on the floor crying inconsolably until my wife or I arrived. He would probably vomit on himself, as he has a tendency to do so when extremely upset. He would probably be brought to a local hospital by whatever mall security (lol) person found him. He would probably be listed as John Doe on a list of missing children, while he knows his name (first, middle, and last name!), he is not fond of sharing it with people he doesn't know. He would probably become a ward of the state wherever he is found. I may or may not ever find him, largely dependent on how the random strangers who find him handle the situation.

But yeah, chipping kids with parent's consent and chipping parents by the government because reasons is totes the same.
    Precisely. All the arguments for chipping children are logical. All the ones against are emotional.

I see no issue with tracking your kids. I say this not to talk down to people, but just objectively, through several years of posting here it is abundantly clear most people here ARE still kids. let alone have kids of their own. so they will not truly understand.

I would track my daughter for her own safety. and I 100% plan to with her phone when she is old enough for one. I trust my kid. I do not trust the rest of this fucked up world. and I will make sure I'm in a position to support and retrieve her no matter the situation. I will be the biggest helicopter parent going. I'm fine with that, so long as my little girl is safe from the kind of weirdos in the world. (some of whom reside on these forums!)
    "There are no substitutes for violence of action and volume of fire. Move forward and shoot, always forward and shooting. The enemy will choose to fight and die or live and run either way move forward and shoot and he will fear you absolutely."
    - Otto Skoernzy

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I think people are casting aside their normally logical arguments because of some viscerally emotional response to this idea. So far the only argument I've heard that is even remotely logical is possible hackers. And that's far fetched.
    How is it far fetched?
    Those things will communicate (otherwise how would you get the location out of them), thus they will be regulated and registered.
    They will also have to be identificable at range with a public key(otherwise you know the locations of all kids but you have no hope to identify a specific one unless you reduce the total number of those running around down to one).
    That makes incredible easy to exploit them.

Yes, you can protect the content of the data transmitted, but it is much harder to hide the physical evidence that data is sent.
    It would be a security risk even if there is no hacking involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    I see no issue with tracking your kids. I say this not to talk down to people, but just objectively, through several years of posting here it is abundantly clear most people here ARE still kids. let alone have kids of their own. so they will not truly understand.

I would track my daughter for her own safety. and I 100% plan to with her phone when she is old enough for one. I trust my kid. I do not trust the rest of this fucked up world. and I will make sure I'm in a position to support and retrieve her no matter the situation. I will be the biggest helicopter parent going. I'm fine with that, so long as my little girl is safe from the kind of weirdos in the world. (some of whom reside on these forums!)
    But at what age do you let go of the strings. The world will still be fucked up when she is 18, and the weirdo's will still be around...

Let me propose a different solution.

Don't be a shit parent and don't leave your child unattended until it's old enough to have a smartphone; at which point the kids can rightfully start to demand some level of privacy.

Chipping your child. Like what the fuck, even for your standards... ehh

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rayden54 View Post
    No. That's incredibly likely. Heck, half the country's social security numbers got hacked.
    No, it's not "incredible likely". You don't even know what the tech is, or how it works.

The other thing though is there's no real benefit. As soon as it becomes common, kidnappers will cut the chips outta the kids.
    And again, no. You need to think these through before you post them. Or does every chip have to be in the same place on the body?

I'm not trying to argue against chipping an adult.

I'm arguing that adults have the right to consent to such a procedure if desired, while a child does not. Parents hold the right of consent for their children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Legal adult age is 18.
    That's not changing.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    Let me propose a different solution.

Don't be a shit parent and don't leave your child unattended until it's old enough to have a smartphone; at which point the kids can rightfully start to demand some level of privacy.

Chipping your child. Like what the fuck, even for your standards... ehh
    I'm not even sure you read this before you posted it. Nothing is correct here. When you're ready for the conversation, feel free to join us. There is no logical reason not to chip your child (assuming it's removable later).

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But in this case the child would not have a choice, and the adult would. Your statement that anything you do to a child should be done to an adult is just illogical. Should a two-year-old get the same consent form to sign as an adult?
    Right, so if the adult wants to chip the child, the adult also have to have a chip installed. If he doesn't want a chip himself then they can't chip their child. Its 100% the choice of the parents but they have to be willing to get it themselves.

The child does not have to know about it. Goodbye emotional issue. Next.
    And the moment they find out from their friends because older kids NEVER tell their younger siblings? and those younger siblings never tell their friends and so on and so forth? because the internet doesn't exist? You really think kids would never find out???? LOLOLOLOL. Teenagers would find out in a heartbeat.

Not until later. Also, you make all these arguments that require studies and proof, and then say never mind, we need more studies. So . . . never mind then?
    I never said so nevermind, I said it can't be 100% proven till studies are done but its definitely something that SHOULD be brought up as it can mess with a child's mind especially as they are developing into an adult (which could cause future trust issues). Most children will be fine and it will just cause the normal family drama, but if your child is one of the 1% who it does mess up mentally whats the point? You just traded one messed up thing for another.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    But at what age do you let go of the strings. The world will still be fucked up when she is 18, and the weirdo's will still be around...
    When they become consenting adults. Then then choose to keep it or not.

Pay attention.

For the chip - you tell them about it, you talk to them about when it should be removed, and if the want it gone under 18 and can make a compelling argument, maybe you listen.

For the phone - when they have their own phone (i.e. not my phone that I bought, pay for the service on, and give them to use).

For everything else - you teach your kids how to be responsible people who make good decisions. It is your job as a parent to be the responsible person and make the good decisions until they are ready, willing, and able to do so.

For some people, they will never be ready/willing/able to be responsible people who make good decisions.
    Last edited by Antiganon; 2018-01-29 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Right, so if the adult wants to chip the child, the adult also have to have a chip installed. If he doesn't want a chip himself then they can't chip their child. Its 100% the choice of the parents but they have to be willing to get it themselves.
    You making an addition that isn't there. Parents make the decisions...period.
    If they want a chip for their child, fine.
    The adult doesn't want one, then that's fine too.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Because . . . reasons? Again, does the 2-year-old sign the same consent form? Your emotion is preventing you from making logical arguments, and now you're just diving into a Freshman year philosophy discussion. Which is next to pointless.

And the moment they find out from their friends because older kids NEVER tell their younger siblings? and those younger siblings never tell their friends and so on and so forth? because the internet doesn't exist? You really think kids would never find out???? LOLOLOLOL. Teenagers would find out in a heartbeat.
    Would the four year old? We done now with the ridiculous and emotion based arguments. When you have a real argument, let us know.

I never said so nevermind, I said it can't be 100% proven till studies are done but its definitely something that SHOULD be brought up as it can mess with a child's mind. Probably most children will be fine and it will just cause the normal family drama, but if your child is one of the 1% who it does mess up mentally whats the point? You just traded one messed up thing for another.
    Not really, you just argued with yourself and the rest of us watched. Thanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    You making an addition that isn't there. Parents make the decisions...period.
    If they want a chip for their child, fine.
    The adult doesn't want one, then that's fine too.
    Right they make the decision, so if they want to chip their child they should be willing to get a chip themselves, otherwise no.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Pinnacle of intelligence lol
    Well I just assume they have protocols for this kind of stuff you know?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.