Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Death be a doorway and time a window, I'll be back mon

It would be a shame that I can not live long enough to see humans settling on the moon or some other planet, and even make contact with possibly new wildlife. A lot of questions could be answered after 100 years but I doubt that any of us will live that long from now.

No but I'm sad for my children and their children, for the world they will have to live in.

Although I'm sad I most likely won't experience humanity's first contact if it's to ever happen, and the sheer fuckfest it will end up being as we utterly embarrass ourselves. Even if I was to experience being vaporised by giant Alien laser beams or decapitated by Insectoid claws, I'll be glad I experienced first contact.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    if you're correct, you realize you're probably not going to be very pleased with the outcome, right? you're held to a standard that you don't even know all the requirements to meet, and some of them you likely flatly reject as not being needed anymore(the ten commandments). if you're not following what it says to the absolute letter, you're not going to make it.
    Hmf...means one will live forever...Heaven, Hell, ghost/shade, rebirth (likely in my opinion, a cycle)

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Can't be sad for the unknown.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TayFarr View Post
    Humans all die one day depressing as It Is but It can't be stopped.
    This topic was made in quite the naive manner but as good as any religion would disagree with the title statement. A very controversial topic without any right or wrong answers.

I dunno... I think we're live, technologically speaking, in a very great future.

The only question I'm asking myself is - how do I become one of those "we"?

So far, got my plan going for that - so We'll see how far I can go. Until then, I'm making every day the best day I can make it. ^_^

Not really. I always pictured the "far future" as something along the lines of the 40k universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Hmf...means one will live forever...Heaven, Hell, ghost/shade, rebirth (likely in my opinion, a cycle)
    eh, i'd rather not exist at the end. good, bad, i still have to continue my experience as myself, and that's not what i want at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    It depends... "supernatural" means it is beyond natural... which I don't believe can "exist". Quantum theory is not supernatural, it is just not well understood. What people see as "supernatural" today could just be a science (i.e "natural") that we do not understand yet.
    if they basically function the same way, us outside of ourselves, then it's basically a soul to me.

i'd be interested in learning its reason for existing. in the cosmological scale, we're less than a building block of an atom. why we would be connected to something larger like that, to continue experiencing things beyond death, to move outside of our bodies. it doesn't make any sense for that to occur naturally.

It depends... "supernatural" means it is beyond natural... which I don't believe can "exist". Quantum theory is not supernatural, it is just not well understood. What people see as "supernatural" today could just be a science (i.e "natural") that we do not understand yet.
    I like this quote quite a lot. ^_^

I was once asked if I believe in Ghosts, and I answered it "I believe in the phenomenon known as Ghosts" - and only on person noticed how I said it and commented that was an interesting way to answer it. Because I haven't really a damn clue what those things actually are, but I do believe weird shit has happened - weither they're undead spirits or some freak magnetic earth jiggery-pokery effect I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Not really. I always pictured the "far future" as something along the lines of the 40k universe.
    That, or I always picture the citizens of a Star Trek universe looking forward and saying "man, too bad I won't see the far future!"

Surprising as it is, for many of us that are "disillusioned" by today should stop to consider that we're also living in what was probably somebody else's ideal future utopia.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    We will probably not die of natural causes anymore if we live another ~30 more years.

You cease to exist in any form you might think of.
    It take more faith to believe in that nonsense "You cease to exist in any form you might think of" than pretty much any other religion out there.
    Only a fanatic could actually believe in something like that.

As for the topic there is no point in being worried about daeth. I hope modern civilization collapse its the only way forward for human survival we need to start living with nature again instead of abusing it
    if it bother you here are some nice quotes

It is not death that man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live - Marcus aurelius

If death causes you no pain when you're dead, it is foolish to allow the fear of it to cause you pain now - Epicurus

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Uploading my consciousness into a computer or the internet. Then I effectively live forever muahaha
    Pretty sure "you" will be dead.

To paraphrase a quote from James Dean in my high school year book; Live as though you will die today, dream like you will live forever.

So, no.

If it exists, it would not be "you". It would be raw "awareness" of "now". Because it would have no memory buffer to store "past" and no processing power to "predict" a "future".

The "you" would end when the brain dies. It may be "stored" in space/time as a sort of backup, but it would not be accessible unless you figure out how to go back in time.

That is why the question of what people see as "you" (or themselves) is interesting. I view "me" and "you" as concepts creates to distinguish relative subjective experiences. All of our matter, and energy comes from the same source though the cosmos. We and all life are just patterns of matter, and the conscious experience of ourselves... that is the universe.
    if there's anything more to consciousness than simply the processes in our brain, that to me signifies some kind of intelligent design. whether a computer simulation or a god, there's no way something like that's just going to happen naturally imo. no matter its level of awareness.

all i want is a way out though. hopefully if something like that exists and we figure out how to manipulate it, we can destroy it.

What are you or I other than a seemly random firing of electronic signals.
    Your belief...isn't mine.

"What good is it to live forever if I can't be with the woman I love" -Drusin
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

So your brain isn't firing electronic signals?
    You want to believe that's all humanity is...then embrace that.
    But you seem to be neglecting a lot of...brain to not realize that humanity is far greater than that rather simple belief.
    I suggest trying to find "No Mind for greater self awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ham on Rye View Post
    To me it's more depressing to realize that I deserve to have lived in the far future when I would hope people would have gotten over all the petty stuff that they use to divide each other, rather than now when you get an idiot like Trump and his racist dipshit supporters running things.
    >that petty stuff that they use to divide each other
    >calls half the people in his country racist dipshits

Boy you got some problems.

It doesn’t make me sad all, and those who propose immortality creep me out.