Recommend me a Linux OS for my Netbook.

Looking to replace the Windows 10 on my netbook with linux since its more lightweight and it gives me a device to mess with Linux on.

The netbook I got is this.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thin...72.m2749.l2649

AMD E-1800 Dual Core 1.7 GHz
    Display 11.6" HD LED anti-glare (1366x762)
    AMD Radeon HD 7340 Integrated Graphics
    4 GB RAM
    320 HDD
    (1) HDMI 1.4 Port
    (2) USB 3.0 Ports
    (1) USB 2.0 Powered Port
    (1) 4-in-1 SD Card Reader (SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC Slot)
    Webcam
    WiFi
    RJ45 Ethernet
    I am considering installing Manjaro or something else lightweight. I am mainly looking to play Runescape on it and just mess around. I considered ubuntu but its hardware requirement's don't see all that different from Win 10.

I also considered mint but I been leery of it since I think it was 16.1 that got hacked into.

Edit: looking at puppy linux atm as well.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2018-01-29 at 09:21 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    The LXDE version of Ubuntu. Much lighter and you get all the support + repositories of Ubuntu.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Livevil View Post
    The LXDE version of Ubuntu. Much lighter and you get all the support + repositories of Ubuntu.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu
    Will look into it thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

How do u guys feel about Netbootin?

I am having to use it since this thing lacks a disk drive and I don't have a USB flashdrive atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Try a few and see which you like best. Everyone wants something slightly different out of their Linux setup. As for mint being hacked into, no linux distro is all that difficult to hack as they're open source. The main deterrent to hacking is the low number of users.
    Will do and was just leery about it is all, I guess its really no different than something happening in Windows.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Peppermint OS 8 is a light distro, Linux Mint is pretty good. MS 17 is another one. Stay away from KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon desktops and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Peppermint OS 8 is a light distro, Linux Mint is pretty good. MS 17 is another one. Stay away from KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon desktops and you should be fine.
    Thanks ill give those a look if Lubuntu doesn't work out. I was able to find a USB flashdrive so now trying to make it boot it

Deleted
    Question "which linux distro should I use" got as many answers as there are people Best thing to do is look up few comparisons between the distros and check the ones that get your attention.

Personally I am not fan of Ubuntu and bunch - they seem to try their damnedest not to use the popular packages that all the other players use - and they don't have good reason. Debian derivatives that are not Ubuntu derivatives are generally few versions of packages behind the world - that was show stopper for me when it comes to Debian.
    Fedora I generally like but fact that they frown upon everything that is not "freed" or otherwise open makes it sometimes pain to deal.

All of the above have issue of being in general point release distributions and not rolling ones - this is good if you want stability but it is pain when you are enthusiast and want the new and exciting versions of all the packages soon after they are released. For that reason I started looking at rolling release distributions.

The tree players that comes to mind are:

Gentoo and derivatives - Gentoo is not what you want - requires you to compile everything from source - Sabayon is binary distro based on Gentoo, but then again it defeats the idea of Gentoo and there are other distros that imo do better job.
    OpenSUSE Tumbleweed - didn't really give it a try - got myself Arch and never looked back

Arch and derivatives - my choice, it is bleeding edge binary distributions(unlike gentoo that is source based), huge package repository, very good wiki that is relevant to all distros really, additional user based repository for goodies and experimental packages that are not officially supported. The only draw back here is setting up Arch is pain when you are not experienced - that's where Antergos and Manjaro come in. Their installers do all the heavy lifting for you, plus they are slightly less bleeding edge and less prone to breakage(which happened to me once in 5 years of usage and it was reversible). If you decide to go with non pure Arch do not ask on Arch forum for help - read it, it will contain helpful info but do not ask for assistance with derivative distors there - go to Antergos or Manjaros respective forums.

This is how I chose my distro and I am happy with it. Hope that helps you as well - remember there are no wrong choices it's all up to your liking. Gl hf.

Edit:
    Whichever distro and desktop environment you end up with I highly recommend getting "quake like" drop down terminal. I use Guake for GTK based DEs and Yakuake for KDE
    Last edited by mmoc9ef35a8a9e; 2018-01-30 at 02:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    @larix there is nothing "less bleeding edge" about arch installers, they are still using the same arch repo, Manjaro is not really pure arch. I'm using swagarch as my main an Ubuntu mate as my second distro.
    Last edited by Serpha; 2018-01-30 at 10:41 AM.

Deleted
    @larix there is nothing "less bleeding edge" about arch installers, they are still using the same arch repo, Manjaro is not really pure arch. I'm using swagarch as my main an Ubuntu mate as my second distro.
    They are not "installers". They are distributions with installers. Never said they were pure arch - said they we were derivatives. They are capable of using arch repo but they do have their own which are updated at slightly slower rate. Manjaro for example got unstable, testing and stable repos which do bring better stability and delay packages a bit which make them less bleeding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    They are not "installers". They are distributions with installers. Never said they were pure arch - said they we were derivatives. They are capable of using arch repo but they do have their own which are updated at slightly slower rate. Manjaro for example got unstable, testing and stable repos which do bring better stability and delay packages a bit which make them less bleeding.
    The only distribution that comes to my mind right now is only Manjaro, everything else is just installer plus added extra, like themeing mostly and makers app choice. Archmerge, Swagarch, Archlabs...even Antergos are all pure Arch. Manjaro has it's own repos so that is the only distro that isn't pure.

Deleted
    The only distribution that comes to my mind right now is only Manjaro, everything else is just installer plus added extra, like themeing mostly and makers app choice. Archmerge, Swagarch, Archlabs...even Antergos are all pure Arch. Manjaro has it's own repos so that is the only distro that isn't pure.
    So they are Arch with extras which makes them not pure arch. They provide more than just "installer", they have their own packages(even if not 100% separate from arch) and they do deliver different config. They are distributions.

I don't even know what your point here is tbh. Nothing you've said regardless whether right or not was even remotely helpful to the question asked. There is no point arguing about this further.