Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Allied Race Disappointment

So I've unlocked the two horde races and played around with them a little bit, and I'm very disappointed.

Nightborne Warlocks look pretty cool... until you start casting and realize that they use the exact same animations as Night Elf. Night Elf channeling animation is so awkward, and their oversized floating shoulders... man.

The Highmountain Tauren racial is also a massive disappointment. Bull Rush works like a really slow roll and about the same distance. You can't turn mid charge and it can't be cast while in the air. You also can't cancel it. You can cast and jump at the same time, but you still travel just slightly less. Also it doesn't stop when you hit a target. Too close to your target and you run right past it. Its so awful, I don't think they even tested this.

They feel so half ass'd. I'm not expecting entirely new animations for everything, but at least a couple to seperate the races just a little in how they feel to play. Playing a Highmountain Tauren feels identical to playing a Tauren with antlers on your head. Slightly changing the swing animations or cast animations, even the smallest amount, would have made a world of difference.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your expectations were too high, and your personal taste is clouding your judgement.

Keep in mind that some players did want night elven animations for the nightborne.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaigar View Post
    So I've unlocked the two horde races and played around with them a little bit, and I'm very disappointed.

Nightborne Warlocks look pretty cool... until you start casting and realize that they use the exact same animations as Night Elf. Night Elf channeling animation is so awkward, and their oversized floating shoulders... man.

The Highmountain Tauren racial is also a massive disappointment. Bull Rush works like a really slow roll and about the same distance. You can't turn mid charge and it can't be cast while in the air. You also can't cancel it. You can cast and jump at the same time, but you still travel just slightly less. Also it doesn't stop when you hit a target. Too close to your target and you run right past it. Its so awful, I don't think they even tested this.

They feel so half ass'd. I'm not expecting entirely new animations for everything, but at least a couple to seperate the races just a little in how they feel to play. Playing a Highmountain Tauren feels identical to playing a Tauren with antlers on your head. Slightly changing the swing animations or cast animations, even the smallest amount, would have made a world of difference.
    You get damage reduction that looks like it scales with your health and incresed versatility.

I'll take both of those any day over "when you die you blow up and do damage" as a paladin tank.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Yeah, just aheads up for the future Allied Races, we all share a single rig these days. It's how Blizz is making the races so easily. I is also why soeme animations changed based on class, becoming something else entirely. Anyway, lots of shared animations. And, frankly, there's only so many ways to cast a spell, sit, or walk.
    Zandalari are now the right height! https://i.imgur.com/4Tgu3K0.jpg Thank you to everyone that helped make this happen! https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/...9447661?page=1

Your expectations are unfounded. There was never any inclination given to the players that Allied Races would get new animations

Imho if you don't have them unlocked already they aren't even worth the effort...that being said i am curious about the void elves racials.
    I'd say if you didn't like their base races you won't care much for these "new" ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukario View Post
    Imho if you don't have them unlocked already they aren't even worth the effort...that being said i am curious about the void elves racials.
    I'd say if you didn't like their base races you won't care much for these "new" ones.
    I’m guessing most people that are into allies races care most about the aesthetics, not the animations

I got totally bewitched by my medusa haired emo elf beauty!

Deleted
    Well Allied Races is just a fancy name for Sub-races, or rather it is the WoW take on sub-races. Most differences are Lore differences so they're basically NPC factions that we get to play as. A brand new race with a unique skeleton and animations would be made into a "normal" race rather than an Allied Race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Your expectations were too high, and your personal taste is clouding your judgement.

Keep in mind that some players did want night elven animations for the nightborne.
    Here we are folks. Wanting something oh-so slightly more then an effortless pallet/model swap is setting your expectations too high. But then blizzard is a multi-billion dollar indy studio and w should be thankful they managed to get enough money outta kickstarter to even try..
    Wrath baby and proud of it

With feedback, perhaps they'll change some things around.

Models are no longer locked to the animations of a "skeleton". It makes sense for Highmountain Tauren, Lightforged, Dark Iron and Velfs to have the same animations, but Nightborne and Zandalari would benefit from having unique animations for sure.

I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed though, that'd be melodramatic. I'm impatient for those extra character slots!

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    Here we are folks. Wanting something oh-so slightly more then an effortless pallet/model swap is setting your expectations too high. But then blizzard is a multi-billion dollar indy studio and w should be thankful they managed to get enough money outta kickstarter to even try..
    Alright, go have high expectations on Blizzard.

I'm sure they'll deliver high quality.

Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    You win this thread

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Alright, go have high expectations on Blizzard.

I'm sure they'll deliver high quality.
    They have been thus far, save for the one expansion that shall not be named... and even then, raiders were happy.

Reasonable expectations however, would be to have unique animations for the races that look different to the original, such as the Nightborne.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why you expected so much.

Found the Nightborne racial kinda lame for me, i thought it would be a racial that would pulse every 2 seconds around your character for 12 seconds, instead it's some little abysmal damage and the slow is 12 seconds. Gonna save my race change and hope the Zandarlari racials are somewhat better and change to that down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    I'll admit, but Nightborne having Night Elf animations, and Highmountain having Tauren animations shouldn't be shocking to anyone.
    Yeah, Night Elf casting animations have always sucked. What are Nightborne, just a variation of Night Elfs. Same with Highmountain, Taurens with Moose Antlers.

They could change the animations before 8.0 or some patch down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post
    Effortless? Wow, the ignorance is real.

It's more then a pallet/model swap in all reality, and to be honest, nothing more than that was ever promised. The only thing that feels weird is the Hightmountain charge ability, I'll admit, but Nightborne having Night Elf animations, and Highmountain having Tauren animations shouldn't be shocking to anyone.
    Indeed.

Thousands of hours went into the Allied races, but I'm sure that poster could've done it with way more "effort" in half that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Fox View Post
    I’m guessing most people that are into allies races care most about the aesthetics, not the animations
    Animations are part of the aesthetics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    WoW would be a great game if it weren't an MMO.

Nightborne having Night elf animations?? Like how could you not notice that when you played against/besides them this whole expansion. Allied races are NOT a brand new race like Pandaren and by using old skeletons they can add a lot more "sub-races" Making unique animations is what takes TIME. No matter how much you guys go on about " hurr durr billion dollar company" Blizzard have a limited amount of developers, all of them do not work on animations/art. There is a set amount of hours each day aka there is still a limit to how much time they have on their hands.